Why do you plebs purchase books instead of getting them from a library?

Why do you plebs purchase books instead of getting them from a library?

I live in Canada all the libraries have burned down.

Canada doesn't get fires

Because I don't like the idea of having to bring books back.

because i want to read them whenever i want without leaving my home, i want to damage them, i want to leave them to my >children

Go to the interior
Canada get lots
Vancouver reporting in

Here in austria libraries are shit

doing both, OP

I doubt that. Isn't Austria considered to have a well educated population? And isn't it in the top 5 countries in the world when it comes to standard living?

have you been living under a rock?

When I was a kid I turned the page on a library book and there was a big, dried booger smeared on the page. Another time I got a Snoopy book and someone drew weird-looking dicks on every Snoopy and Woodstock. It freaked me out, man.

These days I'd just rather have my own little library.

Because books are the only thing I collect. They look nice and I can go back to my favorite ones and read them at my own pace without having to renew them or anything.

I earn way more money than i spend and books are really cheap. Nowdays i mostly by the most expensive editions because why not?

>only thing I collect
after your massive neckbeard

Actually I just usually get people donating books to me.

I went there and it was - 40 °C

I don't believe you get fires

I get a lot of books from the library but occasionally they don't have the book I want and I have to buy it.

Go to the reference section, they will order the book you're looking for for free from libraries and universities all over the state you live in. Sometimes I even come across books that aren't even available online

>he doesn't collect books

So my family can read them when they wish to and so that I can borrow them to my friends.
It's also the best decoration for my room, I enjoy seeing bookshelfs.

I'm 50 euros in debt to the library for returning a shitload of books late. So I can't get any books there before paying up.

So every time I consider paying that to get a book, I look at the price of the book and just buy it instead.

Mostly I pirate books tho, my kindle is nice.

Why do you, pleb, go to the library instead of pirating them on your kindle?

...You're not doing this just to look good, right? You're not some kind of pseud.

I never thought of that t b h. I did that at a suburban library and they charged me for it, and I found that discouraging and never tried it again. But as long as I'm a student I can get and "inter library loan" for free at the school library.

i like owning things i love; i like referring back to things i've read at my convenience; i like showing off my taste to discerning houseguests; i like lending books i think people will like to people i think will like them; i like being able to read things at my leisure without a deadline to return them

1. The closest reasonable library is over 30 minutes away and I'm a lazy fuck
2. Even this library has a very limited collection, almost all of it in Dutch
3. I like taking my time with the books I read and being able to look in them later / reread them without borrowing them again
4. Books on my shelves make me hard

>i like owning things i love
Spooked.
>i like showing off my taste to discerning houseguests
Pseud.

that sounds hilarious

My local library sucks dick.

this

I am a very materialistic person. Also, if I want free books im getting it digital

If I was a neckbeard I'd collect anime pillows and those stupid bigheaded movie character figures
Nice try though compadre

I'm a hoarder and you can get most books online for a £1 used but in good condition so why bother paying the quid in petrol to go get a book from the library and dodge the homeless, pakis and old women reading errotica.

>He has earthly attachments

>not going to the best library in a 20 mile radius and checking out the maximum amount of books and never returning to that town
fuckin pleb

Where I live public libraries require you to register your adress in order to withdraw any books, needless to say they will track you down if you don't return them.

>needless to say they will track you down if you don't return them
not where I'm from

I'm glad the place you live condones the leeching of public goods.

Can someone please post that webm of the fire that happened in Canada this/last year?

>I'm glad the place you live condones the leeching of public goods.

I borrow a lot...almost to the point of abuse, but buy used books from the library. Occasionally i grab a book from Amazon that i really want to have and write in.

I underline/annotate a lot, and bookshelves full of things I've read is the best interior decorating. also it means I can reread any part of any of them any time I like, or lend them to people. buying second hand books is practically an addiction for me at this point, it's a momentary distraction from how shit the rest of my life is.

Because owning many books is uplifting and gratifying, and visiting a public library in 2016 is fucking depressing as hell.

because fucking redevolopers in my locality have closed down many of the community services, including the learning centres/libraries, to erect gyms and cofffee shops etc. as part of gentrification.

also, time poverty which means I have to travel over 5 miles to get to a decent library. Even then certain library memberships have a policy about exclusively serving the local community

OP stop pretending that you don't also buy a bunch of books to display them to impress girls like the rest of us

Patricians can afford to purchase everything they read new; libraries were made for plebs.

Materialism

schopenhauer was against suicide

Library never has the obscure crap I'm looking for, and when it does I have to finish reading it in 3 weeks

Libraries don't have most of what is out there.Especially when it comes to picking editions and translators etc etc.

You only go to libraries if you have no money and are a child/elderly.

I'm not so sure, man. The image says otherwise.

Schopenhauer thought that the most unassailable right of man was to his own life and that it asserted his will.

Why do you poors get books from the library instead of purchasing them?
oh wait, asked and answered

>all these 'buy books' shills

lel i used to tare the books from my school when i was in like 8 grade

>Implying I have the confidence to even meet a girl and invite her over

>i like referring back to things i've read at my convenience
This. It's faster to roll my computer chair back over to a bookshelf, grab a book, and flip to the page I want right there, than to have to open a digital copy of it on a device and scroll / Find shit.

My city library is pretty much a children's book store. I live in South MS. I turned in my extra copies of Nero Wolfe and Robert A. Heinlein (well only one copy of them) to my city library and was nominated for Citizen of the Year.

No joke man.

I don't. I have a Kindle.

I also turned in my mother's copies of Father Brown and my grandmother's copies of Agatha Christie.

I FALL ASLEEP READING AND I FREQUENTLY DROOL ON THE PAGES, SO I AM TOO ASHAMED TO USE LIBRARY BOOKS

>shopping

I'm too busy to deal with having to check them back in every 2 weeks. It takes me longer than that to finish reading a book.

Dutch libraries a shit m8. forreal. usually the only good collections are the cd's

In what Dutch-speaking place do you live that a library is half an hour away? Randstad masterrace here.

>Randstad masterrace

lol, qua faciliteiten is randstad wel goeie maar buiten dat is het pure kanker. paupers, tjappies, achterlijke jeugd en elitaire hbo-yuppies allemaal in een gebied gepropt.

You say that as if I would ever have any reason to know, or care about anything that happens in Canada, let alone a fire.

Ugliest. Language. Ever.

Especially with that throaty sound that sounds like you're trying to cough up Jamal's cum.

I agree, there's ways to bypass it though. We also have 'rolling r' at our disposal, high german. Yeah, no, i 100%, not lying, agree with that case. #yamarrrccumdutch

I worked at a library for 2 years and I may have seen a total of 20 people who only get the same book which are required for school. It's basically looting at that point.

>I like taking my time with the books I read and being able to look in them later / reread them without borrowing them again

This. I can't be hurried to finish a book. I just took like 45 days to finish GR. And I'm currently re-reading some sections, and will probably reread the last section entirely again starting today. So I will have spent more than 50 days with the book. And most libraries don't let you have a book that long.

I read English faster than my native tongue. English also seems more fluid to read in general, the letters just fit the meaning.

>Why do you plebs purchase books instead of getting them from a library?
cause I believe en private property, I despise common property you commie!!!!!!

Because I live in a capitalist society and I have an innate need to own property in order to elevate my self worth.
Most of the books I own are nonfiction. I want to start getting into Literature, but have little experience with reading hard literature. What is a book you guys can recommend for me to start with?
I have already but haven't read
>Necronomicon
>Don Quixote
>Moby Dick
>Hermetica
>Perfume
>Dostoevsky's Demons
>Issac Asimov's Prelude to Foundation
Or is there something else that I should get?

Ugly for sure, but it's really flexible so endless possibilities and fun to play with it. so thats a plus

>Some of the books I have
>Necronomicon