Young Adult Fiction

From a neutral opinion on YA fiction, can someone explain to me why it is hated so much on Veeky Forums?

Go away, girl.

Because no one here got laid in Highschool.

because it's poorly written and meant for teenagers, it's the pop punk of literature

pretty uniform and poorly written. the books are bundles of depthless tropes and 'wit' and 'romance' and 'tragedy'

Get out of here John

That's what makes it popular if anything

Those fat popular girls liked it and quoted it on essays I had to grade in high school so I hated it then.
Now I hate it because I like to meme and it's a shitty book.

I have never read any good YA books, they are always a missmatch of things and never something solid.
Like romance in YA is always just wishy washy while a real romance book will give you honest feelings.

but thats just for me, YA doesnt give me any kind of emotion except annoyance.

Go to bed, John

There is nothing wrong with reading YA books when you're a 13 years old girl.

The problem is that women that are 20+ years old are reading it and then think they're smart.

most of Veeky Forums hates it because they see the shitty 90%. There's good stuff but you have to be assed to dig it up yourself.

how do we feel about pic related? i think there's a certain charm in the melodrama found in young adult books

I've only seen the movie, but it had a certain authenticity to it that most YA tends to lack. It was melodramatic, but in a relatively realistic way considering the setting and characters.

Because we know what metaphors are.

Enlighten us.

Because it is not good.

Veeky Forums is a literature board. YA is not literature. It doesn't have a place here.

because John green is successful. That's honestly the best answer here, Anons here will try and say something different but at this point its because her's succesful

James Joyce inspired Thomas Pynchon
Thomas Pynchon inspired David Foster Wallace
David Foster Wallace inspired John Green

John Green's novel An Abundance of Katherines is often criticized for being too difficult due to its extensive use of flashbacks and mathematical formulas. But truly, The Fault in Our Stars is his crowning achievement.

>All literature discussion is welcome, however fan-fic is not allowed.

I'm no fan of YA fiction, but let's not spread any lies. The rule only disallows fanfiction and genre fiction has never been banned as far as I've seen. The board needed a name and /bks/ looks too retarded.

Boring & homogenous writing styles, rinse/repeat plots, cookie cutter characters, ugly covers, annoying fans.

>All literature discussion is welcome, however fan-fic is not allowed.

As I said, YA is not literature, so it is not welcome here. Genre fiction is (overall) not welcome here either, and even has it's own containment thread.

But the rule heavily implies that all discussion on original works are welcomed otherwise why single out fanfiction?

And c'mon, how else are we gonna feel good about our miserable lives if not for our weekly let's bash on Green threads.

And the generals seem to me to be more a gathering of like minded individuals rather than containment. There are always threads getting posted about topics that there is already a general for that don't get deleted. Like the Science Fantasy thread right now. This board is for all original written texts and related topics. We even have blog threads going on user, let's hop off the high horse.

Veeky Forums will say that 99% of YA is bad, but guess what, 99% of all books published are bad.

The real problem doesn't rest with the books themselves, it's with people who continue to read books intended for middle/high schoolers into adulthood.

Part of John Green's obsessive compulsive disorder is he'll only eat a breakfast cereal if each individual piece has touched numerous cocks. It makes it difficult to read his books, to be honest.

E D G E
>cancer story, again
>anything towards middle to high schoolers is often rejected.

Veeky Forums seems to quite like some horror fiction, though, at least Ligotti and Lovecraft (while being very divided on Lovecraft, his name isn't a curse around here)