Why did he booze it up so much

why did he booze it up so much

Other urls found in this thread:

kevinswoodshed.blogspot.com.au/2013_06_30_archive.html
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

He had a romantic view of writing that necessitated smoking and drinking. Despite Veeky Forums hating him, he was everything that they try to be personified.

Because he wanted to

What makes you think Veeky Forums smokes and drinks?

I don't get people who don't drink it up so much

Maybe not anymore, but back when I first started posting in 2010 everyone here and on Veeky Forums smoked. You even had favorite brands threads

Used to have reading/smoking/drinking threads fairly often.

So what is everybody reading/drinking/smoking tonight?

Looks effay but you can get cancer and what not, just search a pic of the original OP hitch + cancer, its pathetic.

PBR and a fat doob

>died of cancer
He must've used Veeky Forums

Polish lager, roll ups and menthol snuff

Oh yeah I'm readin heights of despair and a selection of Pessoa's poems

smoking pall malls, sort of half-heartedly reading a Kierkegaard colllection but actually browsing Veeky Forums and im going to go buy some cheap wine. tonight is a very rare night in that i am being pulled out of my hermit like existence to go to a party where there will be nothing to read but the implied failure of my social reality

>readin heights of despair and a selection of Pessoa's poems
Is there anything more comfy than heights of despair, I don't think so

Blue of Noon, cheap port, american spirit (rollies).

smoking is bad for you, is expensive, and is addictive

rationalise why you have not chosen to stop a behaviour which is clearly detrimental

Well they definitely smoke cock.

okay Spock

Because his mom killed herself in a suicide pact

When you lose God you have to fill the hole in your heart with something.

Literally everyone drinks, dude, unless you're a retarded Muslim or Mormon.

bc life = pain

This

The cheapest wine from a bag in a box I could find at my local supermarche combined with a package of Gauloises.

Eating dessert is bad for you, expensive and addictive

rationalise why you have not chosen to stop a behaviour which is clearly detrimental

bad comparison, dessert is for faggots

Probably the same reason that his former colleague Gore Vidal boozed it up despite being painfully aware of the fact that it killed the talents of so many of his peers and forebears- a combination of romantic preconceptions of what a writer should be, mixed in with a conceited view that he might possibly be that rarest of things: a boozer a la Edmund Wilson who outlives and outdrinks his peers whilst somehow managing to hold on to talent.

no, if anything you are the one with a preconceived notion of a boozer type. you see, drinking to the point to where it is a problem is not physically fun. if one is simply drinking out of some vague idea of what a drinker is then they will stop once the effects of being a drinker begin to take a toll. those that continue do so, do it simply bc they are severely damaged individuals. most likely this anonis on the money as to why the guy ended up an alcoholic.

He was a filthy fucking atheist and doesn't represent me at all.

Alcohol is pretty great. People of all intelligences and classes appreciate it.
Yeah I remember those.

JUST

There are still what are you drinking threads semi regularly. Smoking is just kinda for fags is all.

For the same reason anyone does. He was a drunk.

Pretty shamed here in parts of the protestant south also. I grew up my entire life without being around alcohol at social gatherings or at home. I remember watching anti-drinking ads and thinking it was bizarre that people were allowed to eat and drive but not drink and drive.

Has anyone here read Arguably?

It's really great, and tbqh he was a fantastic essayist.

> Begin as a committed Trotskyist and Orwell-lover who argues for world revolution by day in The Nation, who attends champagne parties by night
> End as a Neo-Con shill who's chummy with Wolfowitz, having written his own little Iraq-War-related 'Comrade Ogilvy' for Vanity Fair- and the largest section of his wiki page covering his pointless religious debates.

I'd up my drinking to make sense of it too :^)

implied failure, living like a hermit, nice

I think arrogance does come into it to some extent. Read his essay on Hunter S Thompson, where he tut tuts at the man's downfall later in life. After that, read Thompson's brilliant piece on Hemingway's final days, which even today stands up as some of the most eloquent words written on the damage people can do to themselves; eerily preceding his own very similar fate. Gore Vidal also must have written hundreds of pieces on the boozy ends of his friends and enemies

He also plainly enjoyed did enjoy it. Y'know, getting up late-ish, having your first glass at noon, being nicely sozzled by the end of the afternoon, ramble your way through a glorified pub-argument with some random creationist on national television. Not all drinkers are unhappy, some just fall into a rut, and think that because they're able to push out a lucid sentence or two on paper, nothing could be wrong.

Veeky Forums didn't exist in 2010

Veeky Forums still thinks smoking is cool

Link to Thompson's piece on Hemingway? I can't find it.

being sozzled by the end of the afternoon is fun when you're in your 20s, but trust me that shit is horrible on your body in late age. if the guy was doing that kinda shit at his age he had a much bigger problem than arrogance

Drinking is bad for you, expensive and addicting

Why do you hate freedom?

Besides, posting on Veeky Forums is about a thousand times more detrimental to your health and well-being. How much time do you spend here a day? For how many years have you been coming back? Is it really worth it, that one interesting insight or cheap laugh you get every 3 or 4 days?

Like many Brits, he just came to be an alcoholic. Peer pressure leading into addiction and all that.

I've had alcoholics in my family. She would take one little drinky-poo with dinner every night I think. Never saw her drop down drunk, but she was an addict alright. I miss her

He knew he was a hack

I read it in his 'Great Shark Hunt' essay collection. Here's an online version. I'm afraid I don't know if its been abridged or anything.

kevinswoodshed.blogspot.com.au/2013_06_30_archive.html

delete this now

I think explains it better than I do, although I would lessen the emphasis of Brits, as it was really just the done thing for a certain class full stop- doubly so for writers. You go to a few parties in your twenties, meet the hard drinking peers, and get into habits that will last you a lifetime.

Also, excepting alcohol and tobacco, he refused to take any drugs since they were considered to be 'degenerate' or something. Alcohol was the normal, safe option.

he said it was because it made other people less boring

in fact, this

That is terrific. Thank you, user.

>hate being sober
>hate going outside of the house
>next booze delivery doesn't come until saturday

>a drink with dinner
>alcoholic

is this some next level rustling?

Congrats
You fell for the "romantic starving artist i'm oh so edgy and nihilistic" meme
Smoking because you think it makes you look cool is not cool
Drinking because you think you need to in order to write something good isn't either
You're all fucking morons. He didn't drink because he wanted to look cool, or the image, whatever... He drank because he had to drink

Veeky Forums is mostly middle class rich kids/ who have decided they now want to be "artists" and authors despite having LITERALLY nothing to write about.
Nothing has happened in their fucking lives yet because of rising levels of narcissism, being brought up on bullshit pop culture icons "burning out before the fade away", they genuinely believe they're destined to be a writer/artist/musician/some other made up romanticised figure from a popular novel

fuck this gay board, most of you are fucking faggots

>Nothing has happened in their fucking lives

>writers write about what has happened to them
ideology, m'property.