Got this cast iron for Christmas and after a lot of research, I found that it needed to be sanded down and reseasoned

Got this cast iron for Christmas and after a lot of research, I found that it needed to be sanded down and reseasoned.

So I borrowed my dads angle grinder and smoothed it down. It wasn't that hard and actually shined up really nice and smooth.

I didn't want to spend $15 for a bottle of flaxseed oil at the GNC, luckily I found out that Flaxseed oil and Linseed oil are the same thing. It's even used in oil paints! After a few coats of oil and several trips through the oven it's looking OK, but not great. It still stays "tacky" even after baking off the oil.

Did I do something wrong? Why won't my seasoning cure?

Other urls found in this thread:

gnc.com/home/index.jsp
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

heres a pic of the seasoning up close

just do yourself a favour and quit this nonsense cut off the handles and use it as a frisbee

you used way too much

>So I borrowed my dads angle grinder
you see you have the tool for it already your dad's angle grinder.
this seasoning business is crazy and stressful to get it right, with frisbee you will be playing outside breathing fresh relaxing air and have no stress

>lol I meme'd you guise

neck yourself autist

You can use practically any oil, user. That's why frying and cooking greasy meat in these pans works out so great, it only adds to the polymerized coating. That said I'd try to stick to food-grade stuff, if it isn't designed to go in you stomach I wouldn't use it

That said you should apply this shit in thin layers rather than too much at a time, otherwise it won't dry out properly. And if it's too tacky, just toss it back in the oven some more. Either it will harden and stick or char and flake off.

You're not "baking off" the oil here, you're chemically changing it through heat.

>this thread

It'll just stay tacky for a while. Seasoning is the act of polymerization iirc, the oil is plasticizing and may be malleable for a few uses until it cools and hardens a few times. Your coating is probably very thick and new

Boiled linseed oil and flaxseed oil are the same thing....but the boiled linseed oil contains tiny amounts of salts which help it dry. I use it on all my wood handles tools. It's not quite safe to fry your mchickens in but it's NSF approved for use on cutting boards and other wood food prep surfaces.

Try using less. It needs to bake so thoroughly through heat that it basically turns into carbon.

Does polishing out the bottom of cast iron skillets actually make them more nonstick?

OP is fucking with you guys big time
at least he went to the trouble of actually posting pictures that looks convincing.
But here is the clue that he is just trolling you big time >and after a lot of research, I found that it needed to be sanded down and reseasoned.
so you read about everything else when you did "a lot of research" but nobody said what kind of oil to use for seasoning and you are talking now about buying oil from GNC, the Vitamin Supplement Company gnc.com/home/index.jsp

like what, nobody in your research sources said to use cooking oil and you are bullshitting here that you had no cooking oil and used paint oil.

you are full of shit troll

This...this pan...is this the pan with the sad face casted onto the surface?

If you're serious, remove the seasoning immediately with lye or electrolysis. Reseason with actual flax seed oil or lard.

After applying the oil, wipe it all off with a paper towel as much as you can. Then put in the oven, let cool, and repeat sixish times.

>wipe it all off with a paper towel
instead of regular white paper towels use Blue Shop Towels
much stronger it can be reused if used only to pick up water and for cleaning cast iron are the best

It's not for cleaning cast iron. It's for wiping off the seasoning oil down to the thinnest possible coat before heating. It can't really be reused, and you need multiple towels to keep wiping until it's bone dry no matter how much you wipe.

The secret to durable flax oil coating is VERY thin coats of oil.

>It's not for cleaning cast iron.
don't tell me if is it or not for cleaning cast iron pans, I'm using it for around 8 fucking years and works perfect.
After I'm done with frying food I just wipe warm pan with blue towel and maybe ad bit of oil wipe again and is good for next use.
Very seldom I wash it with soap and water, only if food stuck really bad, but that is so very rare, last time was like 2 years ago.

No, dumbass, my suggestions of paper towels isn't for cleaning cast iron. It's for wiping off oil and fat during seasoning. It needs to be perfectly dry, more than one use won't work. You'll have too thick a coating left on the pan.

It actually sounds like a good idea for ordinary cast iron cleaning, think I'll try that plus my chainmail scrubber next time.

Wow, what a brilliant deduction. How could you tell he was trolling? I certainly had no idea.

I'm sure it can be used to wipe oil during seasoning process but white will work as well for that since is gentler wiping,
anyhow
>It actually sounds like a good idea for ordinary cast iron cleaning, think I'll try that
Yes you will like it more than white paper towels, white paper towels have tendency to crumble brake dow, rip, the blue stuff is much better.

I dont have any lye or a battery charger to remove it. I went ahead and re-sanded all my seasoning back off because you guys got me scared. Polished it more this time too

So I can just use regular cooking oil? I thought flax was supposed to be best?

>It still stays "tacky" even after baking off the oil.

You either used too much oil or you didn't bake it hot enough.

Any food-safe oil or fat will work.

>>but flax is the best
By a tiny insignificant margin that doesn't really matter.

i don't know if it's already been posted but that linseed oil from the hardware store is NOT foodsafe. it's like putting paint thinner on the fucking thing.

>It's even used in oil paints!
Yeah, and do you know how long it takes for an oil painting to dry?

Months.

It's a fucking pan, not a construction project, you dumb nigger.

A fucking Neolithic caveman cooked his meals in less time than you spent on that bullshit.

you have to get the unboiled linseed oil

your great-great-grandma's slaves used lard, and if it's good enough for mammy then it's good enough for you

I use diesel for seasoning.
You dip the pan in the stuff and throw it in a fire, the natural oils will pierce the metal and season it while the toxins burn off the pan.

Should have just gone and bought a lye based oven cleaner instead of sanding, but whatever.

Flax is my personal favorite, by a decent margin too, but it is trickier to season well with it than bacon grease. Simply excellent end product, but it is not at all forgiving if you try to rush things along. Grease is a lot harder to fuck up.

Oh, and if you use Flax it needs to be organic flax seed oil. This isn't a bullshit health thing. Non organic oil has something to prevent it from oxidation, which gives it a longer shelf life. The same thing makes it fall right off a pan no matter how well you do the process.

Flax oil is shit, you need to layer it like 50+ times before you use it for it not to flake off immediately, people just meme themselves into thinking it's right because it has a darker glossy color immediately instead of after you put work into it

Use Peanut oil, crisco, or lard. Cook fatty things in it a lot and avoid anything acidic, you don't need to baby it or do any thing special or retarded as long as you cook in it

funny post lol

You are EXACTLY right.
That's what I said here

>using wood-grade linseed oil that has volatile petroleum products added to make it dry faster
Hahaha nice job poisoning yourself faggot!

You polished way too much, now it will be harder to make seasoning stick.

I agree.
At this point only thing he can do is to cut off the handles and use it as a frisbee.
And since it's polished so well it will fly through the air like a champ.

This thread

Flax is probably the best vegetable oil but but in the real world who the fuck has flax oil? I mean what do you even do with that except drink it while praying to Dr. Oz? And bacon fat is bullshit because you end up with a bunch of other salts and nitrates and pork juice in it. Although knowing Veeky Forums you guys probably think it's good because le ebic bagon meme.

The best is duck fat because it's already pretty clean by the time it's rendered, and there is no need to make a special trip to GNC to obtain weird ass oil because unlike flax, you probably already have duck fat lying around.

>health is bullshit
Lol

>duck fat lying
what about sitting duck,

Happy new year Mr. Putin

2 U 2

>complains about le ebic bagon meme
>engages in le ebic duggfadt meme

1. If you stick it in an oven on the self-cleaning cycle, it will obliterate the old coating and it will fall off like dust. You didn't need to use a fucking angle grinder. I imagine boiled linseed oil has petroleum products in it, so it's probably a lost cause now.

2. Use grapeseed oil next time, it's in every grocery store these days.

Or even W40 would be better than that linseed crap, just saying.

Use nitrate free bacon, which you should always be doing anyway.

And I'm saying organic is usually bullshit in regards to health. Something totally pesticide free, sure, but the USDA organic term doesn't require that and the organic approved pesticides are just as bad.