I'm probably going to get this because it recommended and has interesting cover...

I'm probably going to get this because it recommended and has interesting cover, but is it actually good or some prehistoric LOTR, Dune Sci-fi novel?
why is it good if it is?

it's at my library btw

it has better prose than both LOTR and dune

it isn't proto anything

You can read it for the beauty of the language, the philosophical discussions within, or the clever and subversive story.

It has the best portrayal of the thomist teleological holy spirit view you could ask for.
It had one of the most interesting conversion stories out there, or religious novels in general, on the Brothers Karamazov level.
It has masterfully constructed language usage and one of the best examples of an unreliable narrator.
It's filled with fascinating short stories.
The world is layered with symbolism to decipher, as a mystery novels it grabs you by the balls.

Don't forget it's filled to the brim with literary syncretism yet manages to have an incredibly unique and consistent world.

I thought it was really gay and stopped reading when he finally got out of the dungeon only to watch his robot buddy fly away and have a river monster grab him or whatever. I was pissed because it's all so ridiculous and stupid

>It's filled with fascinating short stories
This seems to be a theme with Gene Wolfe

The story of the book is more about the journey so if you like going on a quest with MC thats all you need. MC is not a good person so be ready

>It had one of the most interesting conversion stories out there, or religious novels in general
is it really conversion when you find out you have been god all along?
>best examples of an unreliable narrator
There is nothing unreliable about him.just because he does not comprehend some of the things going on around him does not mean you don't.

>really gay
low quality bait

>is it really conversion when you find out you have been god all along?
How exactly is he God? He's quite clearly a prophet figure, much like Jonah.
>There is nothing unreliable about him.just because he does not comprehend some of the things going on around him does not mean you don't.
The fact that he writes things with a bias, the fact he hides things he is ashamed of and yes, even the fact that he doesn't understand things (and you don't magically understand them either, you need to decipher things) qualities him to be an unreliable narrator.
That art looks nice, is there any more?

Isn't it proto-Gene Wolfe?

He even introduces himself as having perfect memory, so you as the reader expect nothing to be hidden from you from the narrator

Dune and Lotr aren't very similar to Wolfe.
Introduces is an understatement, he keeps mentioning it over and over again.

Are you saying he's not unreliable because he says he's not?

He says he is?

it is very good

I'm saying he's unreliable, doubly so because he introduces himself as being perfectly reliable, a neat trick

Ah, well I do think his memory is pretty great, but the twist is he has a very limited perspective on many things.

quite good, just get it

Literally every time he repeats what a great memory he has it's followed by a lie or a change in some aspect of the story. Litetally every single time across the books. It's supposed to be an incredibly shallow illusion. How did you not catch that?

How is it an "illusion"? Or did you mean allusion?

I did, but each time it's a different Severian. His memory is almost perfect, but the story changes because he changes.

It's an amazing series that's a little hard to get into at first, but really picks up halfway through Shadow

Is this considered literature?

It's a good book.

>There is nothing unreliable about him
At it's most obvious, there's a clear difference between how he acts and how he talks about how he acts.

i fucking hate you. if you're posting here in english and can understand Veeky Forums posts in english then read your fucking books in english. god fucking damn this pisses me off

>t. Baldanders

nice try guy