What are some of the biggest scams in the food industry?

I'll start:

>expiry date on honey

Other urls found in this thread:

ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC1367841/
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

That might be for the plastic instead, ASSUMING it's actual, real, botulism-with (which is normal and why not to give to infants) honey

>The year of our Lord 2017
>STILL don't know the difference between "best before/sell by" and "expiry date"

Does this sentence make sense to anyone?

I think he's saying the plastic will expire before the honey does, so long as it is real, not artificial honey and carries botulism, which, by the way, is why you don't give honey to babies.

>implying such a thing as 'best before' applies to an essentially immortal substance like honey

Unless the packaging is sub-standard, it will literally remain unchanged for centuries.

90% of the time in any food product these dates are just to get you to throw it away so you can buy more
Obviously honey is just HFCS, and will therefore last a long fucking time but people just assume old things are bad so if you put a date on it they will throw it out and buy more

The standard packaging still leaches off-flavors into the food over time, smart guy

>What are some of the biggest scams in the food industry?

Diet soda
Sugar free candy
Eating Subway makes you lose weight
Kale
Toaster Strudel are better than pop-tarts

But kale is actually good for you..

>Obviously honey is just HFCS

>essentially immortal substance like honey

You're a very silly person. Honey absorbs moisture from the air and eventually spoils due to this. Honey in a container like a vacuum-sealed jar will probably keep indefinitely until opened; honey is a shitty plastic container will probably eventually expire, unopened, due to slowly leaching moisture through the seals.

The FDA requires a best buy/sell by date on all food products sold in stores.

Even if the product itself will never "expire" this is required by law.

As a result many companies just use the date of 1-2 years after date of manufacture.

Honey is pretty much HFCS, no microbes will grow in these concentrated sugar solutions because there isn't enough water

It is but the way people eat it is not

Kale smoothie is the only way to eat kale, that way I won't have that shitty plant taste in my mouth

do you.. know where honey comes from?

>Toaster Strudel are better than pop-tarts is a scam

How does it feel, being objectively and morally wrong?

What are you trying to imply?

>>Toaster Strudel are better than pop-tarts is a scam

Exactly

Toaster Strudels are not better than pop-tarts

Salsa is grossly overpriced in my opinion. There is no way some tomato paste mixed with spices and meme vegetables could possibly cost that much

Its crazy how expensive the higher quality salsas are

....just like any other premade food, user. You're paying the dumb tax if you don't make it yourself.

>Honey = HFCS

Wow, bees have started using the glucose isomerases process to convert glucose from corn starch into fructose. Better watch those crafty devils, I think they might become a bigger threat than illegal aliens.

lol, the process is slightly different, but chemically and therefore nutritiously they are very similar

Fettuccine Alfredo at restaurants.

90 cents of materials and they have the nerve to charge you 15 bucks for it.

>tomato paste

what the fuck kind of salsa are you making

>chemically and therefore nutritiously they are very similar
>Hydrogen peroxide & water are very close chemically so they're both good to drink

Ohio pls

thats not what chemically similar means. HFCS and honey are primarily made up of the same chemical compound in very similar ratios, not simply made of chemicals formed from similar atoms as you are implying
Not sure if you are trying to be facetious or are just dumb

I think what he means is that HFCS is corn syrup and comes from corn, and honey does not come from corn. yes they're similar in composition because honey is mostly fructose, but it's a bit misleading to call it "pretty much HFCS" as the name HFCS denotes the origin of the fructose. it'd be more accurate to just say honey is pretty much just fructose.

>What is opportunity cost

Unless what you make at home is better for you and/or it tastes better, you are actually losing time, money and energy by making your own food.

Except that my entire point is that the origin doesn't matter, only the empirical qualities of the substance when it comes to chemicals and their effects on humans
I was mostly just trying to draw attention to how similar honey and HFCS are and contrast that with how wildly different society's attitude toward these things is

>HFCS and honey are primarily made up of the same chemical compound in very similar ratios

I was being lazy. There are plenty of isomers which are entirely different compounds.

>how wildly different society's attitude toward [honey & HFCS] is

That's because one is produced through hard work and honest labor, and the other is produced through theft, lobbying and government subsidies.

Wrong

>That's because one is produced through hard work and honest labor,
How is exploiting innocent animals honest labor?
I'm fully against the tax policies that support HFCS, but its a fucking absurd assertion to claim that such policies are behind HFCS's bad PR

Still, when people use the term "chemically similar" they are talking about their chemical properties, not superficial similarities

No one is forcing the bees to make honey; they make it whether you eat it or not.

Yeah, and then you fucking steal it from them

It's a harsh universe. They still made it through honest labor.

Stealing from animals is not any more or less honest than stealing from taxpayers

The bees aren't stealing from anyone. Their labor is honest. The Ohio corn grower is not.

um, yeah, you are stealing from the bees

And? That's between me and the bees.

no one will round up the bees and shoot them if they refuse to provide honey

Most Italian Olive Oil is fake

I get it now, though shit, your sentence, which isn't any better, is actually pretty bad too, especially when you consider that, just so you know, a million fucking commas makes you sound like a retarded william shatner.

You don't know me.

parmesan cheese is mostly wood shavings

You probably make easy mac and consider that cooking.

Is it hard to be this ignorant?

Are you eating at Olive Garden?

>HFCS,
Complete fucking moron. You probably give advice here too.

please elaborate on how you think that statement is incorrect

1. Any kind of 'crab' meat sold in mid-range restaurants/food-courts: it's just a processed composite of left over fish parts

2. Wasabi: the green stuff you get with your sushi is horseradish and food colouring. Real wasabi (pictured), besides having numerous health benefits, is noticeably more spicy and flavorsome.

Salt is millions of years old.

>BUYING PREMIXED SALSA
>NOT BUYING INGREDIENTS TO MAKE YOUR OWN

horseradish is better than actual wasabi though

sugar is the biggest scam of all time

I like kale in certain soups and salads. Smoothies with kale are nasty.

Barry the bee get out

Honey crystalizes and turns murky over time if not sealed perfectly. Have you even ever owned honey?

I put an opened glass of honey in my fridge! Am I crazy?

Cheese and cream and stuff isn't actually all that cheap yknow.

Literally all you need to do is put the honey in the microwave with a mug of water for 60 seconds to get the honey back to a non-crystalline state

Bottled water

Soft drinks at restaurants and especially movie theaters

Fucking water sugar and a little co2 in a paper cup, costs less than 10 cents but they fucking charge you $3 for it. You get free refills when they're nice and they still make a huge profit

THERES NO TOMATO PASTE IN SALSA

I've done this and I have been satisfied with the results

Does anybody else think that honey is the GOAT pancake topping?

high fructose corbiculate syrup

I worked at a grocery store and I can tell you right now 90% of food items that don't have Best Buy labels don't get sold.

>Eating Subway makes you lose weight

No food "makes" you lose weight but it is healthy if you get 9 grain bread and don't drench the thing in mayonnaise

My homemade salsa sucks because the flavors don't blend and it comes out too bland and "fresh"
I just buy salsa by the pint from my favorite local Mexican restaurant

Diet soda has a nice aftertaste. It's like drinking cola flavored plastic.

You gonna get stung (8>

Factually incorrect.

>expiry date on salt

bees shit it out

Actually they puke it out but close

Honey is the GOAT roast chicken glaze, pancakes are too sweet for honey

Kosher salt. If someone recommends you use kosher salt for a recipe, that's a license to disregard anything they say.

Anything with this. This is an imaginary marketing standard, as food meeting this standard provides absolutely no additional benefits at all from any other food. However, they do get to sell this crap at inflated prices.

what's wrong with kosher salt?

My mom makes this awesome kale salad with just kale, nice parmesan cheese and toasted pine nuts with a really awesome lemony oil based dressing.

Tastes awesome and really healthy.

bait

>food meeting this standard provides absolutely no additional benefits at all from any other food.

Except multiple studies over decades showing that switching from conventional produce to organic will significantly lower the amount of pesticides found in your body.

>ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC1367841/
>Organic Diets Significantly Lower Children’s Dietary Exposure to Organophosphorus Pesticides
>We conclude that organic diets provide a protective mechanism against OP pesticide exposure in young children whose diets regularly consist of fresh fruits and vegetables, fruit juices, and wheat-containing items. Such protection is dramatic and immediate. This is particularly true for certain OP pesticides, such as chlorpyrifos and malathion, as measured in this study, and is probably true for other OP pesticides such as azinphosmethyl, dimethoate, and acephate, which are registered only for agricultural production.

what is baity about that you god damn mongoloid

>memekale, par-meme-san cheese, and toasted meme nuts
>with a le-meme-y oil based dressing
>healthy
just stop

We also store the produce next to the wet waste compactor.
We put all the produce, meat and seafood in that.
And it rots.
Ah boy does it rot, it fumigates the whole stockroom.
You are eating that.

yeah you're right basic flavour pairings & ingredients are memes, u sure got me

Bioscientific kek

those particular flavor pairing and ingredients are memes, tell your mom to get some fucking taste.

t. le cordon blue graduate

Not him but why is it you shitpost here? Is it because you're banned from /v/ and Veeky Forums is the first board on Clover? Is it because a chef touched you in your no-no place? We really need to know.

Easy (You)s. Also this board has little to no moderation. Further, the board topic of "food and cooking" is so broad and vague that you can easily pretend your shitpost is on-topic because it's loosely connected to food or eating in some way.

Oh brilliant! And just how many organic farmers have you talked to? How many farms have you visited? None.

No petroleum based or manufactured fertilizers or herbicides are permitted. Yes, Pyrethrin broad spectrum pesticides are permited, but no reputable organic grower routinely uses them. It defeats the whole purpose. We use other methods like crop rotation, proper disposal of plant residue, developing environments that attract predator insects and other animals, insecticidal soaps, and insectcidal specific biological agents like BTk.

I've grown organic on 1/2 acre for the last 5 years and only once had to use Pyrethrin on a small patch of legumes. Stop following the bullshit Alex Jones or Breitbart tells you.

Fuck off hippie, organic food holds 0 benefits over food grown with pesticides and GMOs. Deal with it.

Sugar is basically poison.

>1. Any kind of 'crab' meat sold in mid-range restaurants/food-courts: it's just a processed composite of left over fish parts
Dang I had no idea about this.

wow you must have gunned your first year microeconomics classes you fucking piece of shit

So red pill me. How long after the "best by" date can I wait?

people that believe shit like this is how trump got elected

ive been on 4 chan for 9 years and this is the dumbest thing I've ever fucking read here.