/dbg/ disturbing book general

this thread only for connoisseurs of absolutely disturbing books

Get that shit out of here.

reddit general?

The Road wasn't very disturbing.

Pretty good, but no where near disturbing.

Try harder OP.

Alan Moore said it's the most disturbing book.

I wouldn't know about that.

I've never even read Alan Moore.

I have read The Road however, and it wasn't disturbing. There is much worse out there.

Everyone calls it a disturbing but I just had a raging boner all the way through.

I first read this when I was about fourteen at the suggestion of an user on /b/.

I came out very confused. I was disturbed and aroused simultaneously.

Good read.

I think the amount of descriptions about sexy 13 year old girs, their bodies, tits and them having sex disturbed me more than anything else.

My diary.

dumb frogposter

meh i didn't like this book, it was just kind of silly. like a john waters film. it was fine, but i was expecting something good

>Early 20th century French book about banal sex and anti-religious absurdisms written under a pseudonym.

What did you expect? Infinite Jest?
As long as it made your nether region moist it succeeded.

I've read most of the books in this thread and pic related blows them all out by a hundred miles.

Then again, non-fiction is usually more harrowing than fiction, what a bunch of assholes come up with to remove the people they deem inhumane is more 'creative' than a single author trying to look edgy.

You know those lights people use to grow pot indoors? Why not hook those up to a generator or like a bicycle or something and just grow stuff like that? It could be underground.

I just saved everyone in the book.

If you're gonna call a McCarthy book "disturbing," at least pick the right one.

Part where theyre playing penis on a string 10/10

She died an hero. All he wanted to do was be good to her and make her pretty. Why couldn't the townspeople understand? WHY DID SHE HAVE TO DIE IN A BLAZE OF GLORY!!

>And you could see among the faces a young girl with candyapple on her lips and her eyes wide. Her pale hair smelled of soap, womanchild from beyond the years, rapt below the sulphur glow and pitchlight of some medieval fun fair. A lean skylong candle skewered the black pools in her eyes. Her fingers clutched. In the flood of this breaking brimstone galaxy she saw the man with the bears watching her and she edged closer to the girl by her side and brushed her hair with two fingers quickly.

Ayy bruv y u so intimidated by a man winning stuffed animals at the county fair?

INFINITE JEST

/thread

>Infinite Jest

Christ is that your point of reference for a good book?

It is a shill, he just posted the same picture with INFINITE JEST in several threads.

The Painted Bird

Pic related has me checking my local police log for breakins

i think that's from the last paragraph in one of the main parts, the next starting after the protag has already killed a bunch of girls and hidden their bodies. pretty eerie way to start that transition tbqh.

>The Painted Bird

Don't see this get nearly enough praise here.

Isn't Blood Meridian more gruesome than The road?

>Baby Tree
yes a million times

That passage wasn't really that bad was it? I personally found the ambiguity of the kid/man's fate much more unsettling, since it let the reader's imagination fill the blanks of what the judge actually did to him, or rather, how he did it.

Just read this after reading your post. Very short.

Not very disturbing.

What the fuck is this shit? There's no need for a fucking general. Generals are for containing discussion about things people get autistically focused on and which no one else wants to talk about. If you want to talk about disturbing books just make a normal thread about one. And while you're at it, include a discussion starter.

whats some "good" disturbing "books" about serial killers?
(&/or other novels like the hannibal saga)

I disagree. In BM the reader is held at a distance for the entirety of the novel, viewing the events from the outside looking in. There are very few empathetic moments and we almost never see inside any character, no thoughts or feelings. It's easy to feel overwhelmed by the immediate shock of some if the occurrences, but without that emotional investment it's never more than a depiction of some anonymous brutality.

The end of Outer Dark is the most chilling thing I've read by McCarthy, and I haven't read Child of God yet but I hear it's even more grim

You weren't disturbed by the caravan of men that kept women to rape and breed so that they could eat their own infant children?

The Room by Hubert Selby Jr. is pretty fucking disturbing.

no? that is extremely entry level stuff if you're looking for disturbing. it might be disturbing if you're used to reading about bunnies and happy green pastures

itt:
>wow this is distrubing ha :-)
>no u I got this more didtarbing than u
>lol gay u got distabed pussies rape is for babies

Naked Lunch, as meme of a choice as it is

Love painted bird. Especially since it reads literally, he's not a writer, he's just a kid who went through hard times and wrote about it

fuck this book.

Steps by Jerzy Kosinski. Basically a bunch of fucked up stories written well enough to be considered literary.

it's pretty good desu. makes me wish I could read Arabic since the prose in the translation is so dry

I just found all the sexual descriptions of 13 year old girls strange. It is as if Gillian is a lesbian pedo.

that's pretty cool

desu

If you like The Road you should check out Riddley Walker. Not super disturbing. But kind of disturbing.

Who /hubertselby/ here? Criminally underrated. Lots of people have seen Requiem for a Dream but who's read the book? I had a panic attack and almost started crying in public.

>If you're gonna call a McCarthy book "disturbing" ...

They're all disturbing, user.

I read Last Exit. It was hot.
jk it was disturbing

Yes. All books are disturbing.

bumpin this because the other thread is more revolting than simply disturbing

Do you like John green?

McCarthy has a juvenile understanding of suffering and fear. For him it's all dead babies and torture and all this edgy bullshit that's never going to happen to any of us. It's tiresome to read.

R scott bakker, the second apocalypse. This is the most disturbing series i have ever read. The great ordeal(latest book) was the darkest book by by far. Literally the revelations made me gasp and drop the book in shock

The Demon starts off pretty slow but by the end it is fucking sick.

>They're all disturbing

What's disturbing is the amount of relatively well read people, not just on this board, who fall for his brand of overcooked metaphor gumbo

EVIL or anything from Jack Ketchum

BIGHEAD from Edward Lee if you want it hardcore

that book + film destroy me everytime i read/watch either of them. hands down both my favourite book & film, i need to read his other stuff but it's all waiting on my kindle

oh boy we've got an 8th grader here to enlighten us...

I've only read Last Exit to Brooklyn, found it strikingly horrific. It reminded me of The Naked Lunch, but the Naked Lunch was a walk in the park in comparison.

You don't understand McCarthy. Try coming back to his work in a couple of years.

Somebody has never had a major injury or illness.

>that's never going to happen to any of us
You poor, naive thing.

There was a man in my city who killed 49 women and fed them to his pigs. He used to hold parties at his farm, it was called "The Piggy Palace."

I met this guy who knew this guy who claimed to have partied with Willie Pickton, like it was something to be proud of.

>BIGHEAD from Edward Lee
I'm gonna sit down and read that one. I've been hearing about it for over a decade now, and about how crazy violent it is. Will see if it's actually good too.