Holy fuck Vonnegut is insufferable. I've read Slaughterhouse, Cat's Cradle, and Bergeron and I hated every single one...

Holy fuck Vonnegut is insufferable. I've read Slaughterhouse, Cat's Cradle, and Bergeron and I hated every single one. Does he have anything worthwhile in his bibliography?

INFINITE JEST is his best work.

STOP SHILLING GENE WOLF

Try Sirens of Titan. Stay away from the smug-fest that is Player Piano

Sirens of Titan is magnum opus.

Sirens of Titan and Mother Night are gud

what part of cats cradle didnt you like?

These are some terrible posts.

KV is good too.

He is the Reddit of authors

Not him, but I've read it a year ago and it was so bland and mediocre I can't remember... Anything which is pretty rare.

What didn't you like about it?

Only good post itt

Mother Night

Well, the repeating motif of the cat's cradle itself which just feels pointless and pretentious
The incessant references to silly Bokononism which really seemed to have no purpose
Clunky prose and the "episode that is ended by a punchline or revelation" style that the book is rife with
And just not being really that memorable

Slaughterhouse and Bergeron were smug and Cradle was just unremarkable

>not memorable
not really a criticism. I don't mind your other points, but that's not a point.

I remember Cat's Cradle as much as I do Don DeLillo's Underworld

the

Player Piano is his best book.

kurt vonnegut is a favorite amongst pseudo-hipsters. people who dress like hipsters and act elitist but won't fully commit to liking things ironically.

Hell no. No style, very little substance.

>sloughterhouse
>smug
I thought it was the opposite. He basically described the "greatest generation" as a bunch of kids that didn't really know what they were doing. Most people celebrate wwii veterans as heroes, when in fact a lot of them were just kids who in many occasions got lucky. I could go on, but at this point it is worthless to argue with a meme critique.

I don't like Vonnegut's stuff at all, but he's a great writer and is perfectly respectable. He just isn't my taste. Why does everyone here feel the need to be such assholes when they don't like something?

I agree its a silly read, but I found it very enjoyable and entertaining.

>and Bergeron

Asspained leftie detected.

>robots are going to take over all of our jobs and then humans will be bored and angry
ok

How can anyone dislike Bergeron
it's fucking 2 pages long.

I haven't read CC but Slaughterhouse 5 is hardly smug at all.
It's a mix of anti-war themes, acceptance of death and acceptance of the world meaning nothing.

But yeah he's sorta a meme author.

>sort a meme author
your analysis was good until this point

CC is one of my favorites of his, you should read that next if you plan to read more.

I meant he attracts the likes of reddit.
Which is true.
He's good but he attracts the "so it goes would be the coolest tattoo xD" crowd.

I guess it's not his fault and more of a fanbase problem.

I just don't think you're making any point or saying anything insightful by saying he attracts the "reddit crowd" and then also specifically the "so it goes would be the coolest tattoo xD" crowd because no shit they would be into KV.

You're just not saying anything.

I hated mother night. I'm reluctant to read his other stuff because of how Reddit it was.

i always liked mr rosewater and mother night. he is an easy read author and was really fun when i started with him in highschool. i havent gone back to anything he did, but i think people expect too much from their literature. remember, you should be having fun when you read.

what he's saying is that just because he attracts some reddity crowds doesn't mean the author is bad.

look Vonnegut is no Joyce or Tolstoy but saying that Slaughterhouse-5 is 'pretentious' just shows that you most likely don't really know what you're talking about and are just trying tring to fit on.

>unironically using "reddit" to describe a book

GET OFF MY Veeky Forums YOU CANCEROUS FUCK

Vonnegut is very condescending and I find his "detached cosmic perspective" grating.

>One day there was a man named Kurt Vonnegut. He was an author. That means he wrote his thoughts down in this thing called language and then other people out there read them because they understood language too. One day he died. I guess that's the way the cookie crumbles.

Vonnegut is an author who contrarians and general pot-stirrers like to hate on to be edgy and different, or because they believe postmodernism is worse than the innermost rings of hell. It's okay if you don't like his writing personally, but Veeky Forums's hate-spamming of Vonnegut is old and stale. Some people just can't get into him and that's fine.
Try Sirens of Titan though. Breakfast of Champions is also good but so simplistic in its prose that those who link fanciful prose with quality will likely be turned off by it.

sirens of titan is the go to.

stop being wrong.

Vonnegut gets less fun when you're older. Mostly because this stuff starts wearing thin and become relatively sassy looking compared to other styles. If you're in an eternal reddit snark mode then I can see why you would still like him, but he exists to be grown past.

He's also fun to read while young because he doesn't require any but the most basic concepts to enjoy. He's pretty good at writing from a nuanced perspective about politics and culture without demanding much from the reader. However, as people get more ideas in their literary toolkit he starts looking bland.

He's not bad. The fun just doesn't last. His essays and interviews are still great at any stage though.

If there was any doubt that Reddit has taken over this board, this thread has put it to rest.

Absolutely disgusting.

That's pretty good

eh i find him pretty comfy

Breakfast of Champions made me appreciate Vonnegut as an artist a lot more than Slaughterhouse-Five. Picking up Player Piano next

I wouldn't call it smug, but it is pretty crappy and undeveloped. If anything, it doesn't seem all that confident in any of the views put on display in it.