Recent purchases

recent purchases

First for fountainhead love :)

>Ayn Randy

Fucking DROPPED, you autistic manbaby.

>Reading Ayn Rand

LOOOOL

*tips*

Fuck off back to le reddit you edgy FAGtheist.

FuK U LOLbertarian.

*tips fedora*

The government is your friend.

damn you guys are fucking stupid. if anything out of my haul is le reddit it's unbroken lel.

I was going to participate in this thread, but then all these summerfags shat on OP for having an Ayn Rand book.

summer friends
BTFO

>the Memehead

Not all cops but things I'm working on

I think I'm supposed to make fun of you for Rand. It's like mandatory or something.

>Dawkins

ANARCHU!!!NON NJTk..obj crux ex get f Aanatchy k men to say shit phone fuck cickf: yf

makes fun of fountainhead. has Dawkins.

weeeew

did you get a free fedora with those books?

I can't ever find Bukowski at my used book stores. I read Ham on Rye and fell in love. Then I read Post Office. All I really want to read by him is Factotum.

Neither are particularly bad

All new (add Los Detectives Salvajes y 2666 by Roberto Bolaño, and Discipline and Punish, by Michel Foucault, that aren't here), except for Dubliners and A Portrait of the Artist of the Artist as a Young Man.

I've never heard of that Joyce novel. Is it an unfinished work ?

You picked the correct version of Ulysses

Oh, but read Joyce in chronological order, please. Do it for me, baby.

Your bookstore should have a 'Beats' section, where Bukowski books aplenty can be found (I don't agree with his placement in that section either but what can ya do)

those McCarthy editions make me so sad :(

spppppaaaaaannnniiiifaaaaggggetttouuuuuutttttreeeeeee

Why? Others have said that the 1922 edition wasn't that good (or that's what I took from their comments), and recommended, among others, the Gabler edition. What could you tell me about it/them?

I'm doing as you say. You can sleep in peace at night.

why?

The covers are just horrendous looking, tacky.

if you don't care about the covers, don't bother replying please.

>caring about the covers

I mean I don't really care about covers but I don't think they look horrible either.

Not gonna insult you about your taste then.

>but I don't think they look horrible either.
Were you the guy saying Warhol was the greatest artist of all time in that Gaddis thread?

Forget about Ayn Rand, read Max Stirner so you don't fall under her spooks.

I don't know why people would say that the Oxford World's Classics edition is bad. It has typos, but they aren't very major and there's an errata in the back listing them all. I think it's nice to read a facsimile of the first edition, it feels more authentic than reading a later edition would. I also like the annotations in the appendix that explain the many obscure references throughout the book. I would understand much less of it if those weren't there.

Anti-purchase post: all the books I'm about to get rid of for various reasons

you're getting rid of those Vonnegut books just because of those recent hate threads, aren't you?

send me that hunger

>owning all that vonnegut to begin with
lord, user, i mean i was a fan, but jesus fucking christ, all his books are the same!

Nah, I've always liked Vonnegut, I just don't plan on reading these ones again and I wanted to get rid of a lot of my old paper backs. I've still got a few of his novels and about 4 of his short story collections.

Pretty much the same thing with the Salinger books too.

I was pretty obssesed with him when I was a teenager..

accidentally ordered and received 2 copies of Absalom! Absalom!

Absalom! Absalom! Absalom! Absalom!

Reminds me when I received four copies of Infinite Jest on accident from Amazon. I had them sitting in my bathroom as a gag for a bit.

what did you do with the others? give them away? that's what i plan on doing with my extra copy

One was for me, one was a gift to a friend who never read it, I gave another to my Grandpa who also never read and I keep the fourth for a re-read.

Have read them from the bottom up, about a third of the way through Inherent Vice right now

That is a nice collection man, shame that they're on the way out. I wouldn't mind owning a few of those.

That is a nice looking Things Fall Apart. I liked that story, read it this year.

Send me your books man

Bought these today. How'd I do?

you did really bad

this is a joke right?

If I pay for shipping will you send me some? ;.;

Not at all.

What's so bad about my purchases?

I'm just shitting on you for asking for praise.

Fair enough, this is Veeky Forums after all. I forgot to thank the guy in the /sffg/ threads for recommending Hothouse.

>Evelyn Waugh

Nice. Read Brideshead Revisited this Summer and loved it. Want to try some of his other stuff.

Kindle masterrace.
Recent downloads has been Putas Asesinas by Bolaño, Funerales De La Mama Grande by Garcia Marquez and Huasipungo by Jorge Icaza (really good ecuadorian novel, i'd highly recommend it)

Used books are best books tho. Ebooks are cool because you can pirate them but I'm kind of a technophobe and don't trust much that's modern and electronic. Every time I try to use an ebook reader I end up accidentally wiping all the books off of it, because it will freeze and I'll try to restart it, and I'll lose all my books and have to put them back on the device... It also doesn't help that I'm a welfarefag with an ebook reader from 2011 and a computer from 2007 running XP.

I saw a thread earlier about how this was the best edition. I like the pictures.

>Pevear/Volokhonsky translation of C&H
Nice

Crime and Hunishment

lol

I've got too many books, I gotta make room.

-non-english peasant

It's alright, a little expensive.

And here's a better image, since you only posted the cover.

Bought mine used.

Nice, how much did you shell out? It's hard for me to buy anything outside of BookDepository, because I'm in Taiwan.

well my friend

looks like the only summerfriend

was you

$26

USD? That's like $5 less than buying new.

I probably could have found a better price but I didn't want to drive around all day.

In the Heart of the Heart of the Country is stupendous. Excellent purchases user.

>book haul
>not the worst threads on Veeky Forums

They are, but only because of all these summerfags trying to defend Randfags.

Literally who?

Have you read Turtle Diary yet?
I see it at my local bookstore and it's supposed to be good but I've yet to pull the trigger on it

>buttrustle!

I had to stack them up a little bit.
One stack=author

From left to right,top to bottom:

Small lexicon of philosophy
Walter Miller Jr.:A canticle for Leibowitz
Hemingway:A movable feast
Canterbury tales
Agatha Christie:The ABC murders(under that:A murder is announced)
Rejtő Jenő:Texas Bill the Daredevil(under that:Tiger blood)
Endless space(buddhist texts)
Joyce:A portrait of the artist as a young man
Karinthy:Magnetic death(?)(under that:The faces of the soul,This is how YOU write I-II)

All of this for 19 bucks.
What do you think?

A good haul, prepared to be bored to tears by A Movable Feast though. I love Hemingway but his style is terrible for non-dramatic nonfiction.

Where did you find a copy of The Idiot that's that fucking big ? Are the pages half an inch thick ?

That top left one may be the ugliest book cover I've seen in my life. That's even worse than Wordsworth Classics editions.

What language is that? Hungarian?

It might be cause it's by a "book cover designer" who does a lot of nyrb books, and the books from 1985 so she tried to make it somewhat modern while incorporating the title of the book and making it literal. I don't think its so bad but i get it.

Not yet, I liked the description i read though so I picked it up, nyrb is always nice to have a few lying around since the books don't usually go past 200-300 pages.

Yes

Finnish translations are big.

Really tho its just a small-yet-thick book, about 950 pages. I added the penguin classic Ulysses for scale.

The Ulysses translation at the bottom is a pretty new buy, too.

God i fucking hate Rejtő Jenő so fucking much. Everything else is good though.

now just wait for the retards saying
>hurrr translated Ulysses

>translated joyce
fucking idiot

>just a small-yet-thick book, about 950 pages
>fucking spurdos made the idiot three times longer
what the fuck, finland ?

you mean idiootti

eh, it was done by a good translator who spent like 10 years on the project

I'd be a pretentious liar if I said that checking out the translation won't probably expand my appreciation of the book, there's a shitload of footnotes, etc

That Joyce cover is awesome. Too bad it's a translation.