I got some of this at the store, gonna give it a shot after years of avoidance. How should I prepare it...

I got some of this at the store, gonna give it a shot after years of avoidance. How should I prepare it? I have some chicken stew, can I just heat it up in some of that broth?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=ob2CYmTx9PM
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

The best tofu is fried tofu.

Prepare to remember all those reasons you stopped eating it in the first place.
Such a disappointment. You can barely even troll Veeky Forums with tofu, it is universally hated.

>I have some chicken stew, can I just heat it up in some of that broth?

Yes, if you enjoy the taste of disappointment.

Try this instead:
youtube.com/watch?v=ob2CYmTx9PM

Tofu just.. Doesn't taste like anything. Which is why you fry it and serve it with hot sauce, and only use it to add volume/nutrients. Sperglords who assume it actually contributes to the taste are going to end up disappointed.

Definitely fry it. Fried tofu is amazing. Haven't had it any other way where I liked it though.

Nah man made properly it's fucking great.

People who hate it should should stop trying to eat it by it's self. Hell theres no rule against eating it with meat.

if you want comfort food tofu mac and cheese is pretty good

my go to is tofu with shirataki noodle ramen or oven baked tofu sticks as a snack. panko breading and a soy, ginger, honey dipping sauce or regualr bread crumbs w/ italian seasoning and marinara.

only way to eat tofu is in hot and sour soup

agedashi tofu

or jsut pick up one of these its not bad for no effort tho since it is japanese you need to make it spicy yourself

as for preparation of the tofu itslef, drain, wrap in papertowels and let dry/rest for 30min to an hour or just "poach" it by keeping it in barely simmering water

forgot the fucking image

I tried to like this stuff. I really tried.
I dont really hate it, but it tastes and feels like really bad, overcooked scrambled eggs. And yeah, those can absorb flavors too, but it doesn't make them good.
Its acceptable when you fry it to a crisp and douse it with sauces, but then whats the point. Its not even less expensive than meat. I can get chicken or pork for the same price, and eggs cost less.

No, the best tofu is no tofu

this looks good and I have the ingredients, I'll give this one a shot

another general question though, from what I'm seeing a big part of making good tofu is drying it out a little bit. I have a dehydrator, would it be better to dry the slices out a bit before frying? What happens if I dehydrate it completely before frying?

Throw it in the freezer, gives it an interesting texture.

Tofu is great if you use it as something extra, not as a replacement. Fried tofu is obviously good, but I am found of adding tofu somewhere between silken and firm to any asian dish. Very silky texture, good nutrition and it tastes like whatever you added to it. If you try to make spaghetti with tofu or something you will always be disappointed

You sound like you drink diet Coke instead of water.

>less than 100 calories per 100g

Holy shit I never noticed that before, I'm going to have to start replacing half my meat with tofu.

Don't cook white food with tofu

mah nigga. All about that tree fungus
>first time eating piping hot hot and sour soup, only thing to drink is hot tea
>pain, way too much mucus, but worth it
>second time, no drink
>I have surpassed heat into deliciousness

Flexitarianfag here. Just made mushroom mapo tofu (pic of it here). Was bretty comfy over some rice.

Think of it less like a meat substitute and more like an egg substitute. In stews it's kind of like an egg drop soup, and it can be pretty good in just regular veggie scrambles or in copycat chipotle sofritas. I also eat it a good amount so i like it.

Try portion control instead of replacing tasty food with shitty tasting food.
Why the fuck would you want to eat more of a food that tastes bad?

It doesn't taste bad though. Portion control already keeps me around 1500 calories a day, I just want to get it lower without starving myself.

I once made pesto tofu sandwiches when I had tofu I didn't know what to do with. Actually turned out pretty good.

This looks nothing like mapo tofu and probably has very little to do with it

So you're a fucking omnivore?

Cool, bro.

well yeah, but it also sort of means my low meat consumption gives me a particular knowledge of tofu, but not being a total vegetarian/vegan means I haven't totally drank the kool aid.

Labels can be indicative of myopic special snowflake-ism, but it can also serve as shorthand for conveying useful information (such as experience with tofu).

my niggax1000

this and miso soup are why I buy tofu.

frozen tofu is the best way to prepare it for stews and broths, it just absorbs flavor so much better after that.

These are really good! They're definitely on the salt heavy side, but this sauce, some minced pork and minced scallions/green onions and extra chili flakes makes a fucking awesome rice topper.

I don't think anyone's said this yet, but tofu is wonderful in spicy curries.

If you don't like tofu because of the texture or lack of flavour, putting it in a curry might change your mind.