Go to sketchy mexican restaurant

>go to sketchy mexican restaurant
>there's rice in the salt

For what purpose?

It acts as a desiccant

It absorbs moisture and prevents the salt from caking together.

You'll also see the same thing done with a piece of saltine cracker.

it's supposed to keep the salt from clumping together, but it clogs up the holes if they break, so they're not all that effective

the same reason you put rice in the back of your toilet

they do this at nursing homes too because old people are shaky and will put mountains of salt on their food because of it.

the rice makes it so you have to actually shake the shaker instead of it just falling out in a stream

Oh, well, I guess that answers my question

prevents clumping (via agitation), but then it breaks up and clogs the shaker anyway. Use popcorn kernels instead.

>prevents clumping (via agitation)
No. It prevents clumping by absorbing the moisture that would clump up the salt.

>Use popcorn kernels instead.
Linux or Windows?

>rice absorbs water more efficiently than salt

No lad. No.

It doesn't have to. Put dry rice in damp salt and it will draw moisture from the salt.

Ive never heard of this crap before, but it seems bad for the image of the business. Maybe they dont use the salt fast enough to prevent clumping (which would actually be a long time (along the line of weeks and months). If that was my resturaunt i would do something differently like buying closable salt containers.

>like buying closable salt containers.

You clearly have no experience at all in the restaurant business.

Those get dirty really quickly and they are a lot of effort (read: costs you money) to keep clean.

>You clearly have no experience at all in the restaurant business.

Shut up, you ass. If that was my resturaunt the only way that would be tolerable if i was an angry beaner that wanted to scare of white people. We talk endlessly about how business is all about cleanliness and presentation and the food industry is about going the extra mile and you cant even clean a salt shaker. If the salt clumps from not being used then i would do something different. It is rocket science. It also isnt the traditional approach which is best for business and marketing. You have to have some kind of mutant factor always pushing above the established line. Now shut the fuck up you pretentious cuck.

How the fuck do they get dirty any quicker than a non closeable salt shaker.....

i chuckled

It's often thought that the rice draws moisture away from the salt, thus preventing it clumping together but that is a miscoonception as it actually acts as a way to break apart the clumps of salt by bumping into them.

Problem is that the rice often breaks apart and clogs up the holes. Popcorn kernels work better for this sort of thing.

>We talk endlessly about how business is all about cleanliness and presentation

No, we don't.

I've been to fancypants michelin star restaurants on business. Know what I'd prefer over that any day? A wet market in Asia.

Someone seems mad that their idea got shot down.

What makes you think that the restaurant is sketchy? What grade did it receive from the health department? Is it unclean inside?

They don't get dirty much faster. The issue is that they are much slower to clean. A normal saltshaker can be cleaned in about a second by wiping it with a damp rag.

One with a lid requires careful attention to the inside of the lid where bits of food can get trapped inside the lid (and out), in the hinge, etc. It also happens frequently that some food will get spilled on the shaker and then the diners will close the lid, smashing said food between the lid and the perforated top of the shaker. That takes even more effort to clean.

thanks Alton

>What makes you think that the restaurant is sketchy?

A nice restaurant will not have something so ugly in the view of the customer.

There's also the lack of a tablecloth in the photo.

>Realtraveler TM detected

The fuck uses a tablecloth in 2017?

>all these niggers discussing salt containers used in 'proper' restaurants

In reality posh places don't have salt shakers on the table because the food is already supposed to be good.

I was just being mean, it seemed alright

same reason you put rice in your undies and socks each month

It's too keep the salt from becoming moist

Those are maggots OP