Joyce

How do I get into him?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=cLAWtv-EL7E
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

start with Finnegan's Wake, then work backwards.

dick to butt

Look up the "scat" story tag on literotica. Read the most popular stories. Work your way from there.

you read his books

Unironically, Dubliners

Are you retarded?
Start with Finnegans Wake, then read Stephen Hero. You can ignore the rest.

In chronological order. Just skip his shitty poetry and plays.

Start here
youtube.com/watch?v=cLAWtv-EL7E

If you like to fart or shit, he'll get into you.

Ask him to go for a drink and get a decent buzz. Flirt a bit and try to determine if he's gay.
Make up some reason to go back to one of your homes and seduce him.
If he's not gay you could always drug him.

I've tried that and I'm still not into him, what next?

Dubliners. Read stories like "Eveline" and "Counterparts" and look up some peer reviewed articles on them. Joyce is great to read, but the real joy is writing about his stuff.

If you've given his work a honest read to include portray and Ulysses and didn't enjoy it then it might not be for you.

Try listening to frank Delaney's rejoyce podcasts. I find his enthusiasm for Joyce infectious.

I started with Portrait.

>Joyce is great to read, but the real joy is writing about his stuff.

Is this actually worth watching?

Dubliners, so you can get a feel of Dublin and the people that live in there, since knowing Dublin is really important to Ulysses this will help

Portrait, so you can get to know Joyce's struggle to become an artist, get more into his prose and to know Stephen, that will be a character in Ulysses

Then you should read more "mature" literature, Odissey parallels is a big part of Ulysses, so read that (also read Iliad because its even greater), and, if you didn't already, read Shakespeare, read a lot of Shakespeare, knowing Hamlet will significantly improve your enjoyment of the book

You can make a detour and read more authors, like Woolf, Kafka, Calvino, Beckett, etc, that have shorter (and amazing) works that will get you used to a more different way to approach narrative and make Ulysses less intimidating

After all that go for Ulysses, you won't get most of the history references, all the shit that was happening to Dublin with the politics, etc. even the most complex puns you will need notes to fully understand, so I say read and if you don't understand just keep reading, the experience will be extremely rewarding, just go withouth the pretension of wanting to understand everything in your first try, also read slowly, don't fucking rush and don't be intimidated, believe when I say that you will understand the thick of it

Also if you edition have a map of Bloom's day use it, its actually really helpful

Yep, im professorr at coledge stirt width finnegans wake

It is surprisingly easy, given that the cemetery doesn't attract so many people as you would expect and is right on the edge of the woods. It's respectful to leave a warm quiet little fart afterwards.

>so I say read and if you don't understand just keep reading, the experience will be extremely rewarding, just go withouth the pretension of wanting to understand everything in your first try

I can definitly relate to that when reading Ulysses (just finished part 2). The book is very dense and somewhat frustrating read at times, but every now and then comes the parts where the book struck gold with me and the saying of the beautiful prose really comes to shine.

>How do I get into him?

a shovel and a lot of lube.

this.
It's very good and accessible. read it now.