- Naivete
- Mild mental retardation
- Gullibility and being told it's good from someone you trust
- An unfamiliarity with good prose
- A misunderstanding of the term 'prose'
- A misunderstanding of the term 'good'
- Double X chromosomes
- An additional chromosome
- Being stuck in a locked room for a long period of time with only one book for company, and it's by her

Because you know she was crazy enough to suck dick like a champion.

what

I bet nobody in this shit board can answer this question in a serious, concise way

remember, the only reason to come here is for the memes, nobody cares about literature

>I bet nobody in this shit board can answer this question in a serious, concise way
Here you go:
Nothing.

>he literally tought this post would be seen as smart

welp

Her prose is godtier, but the lack of plot on her books is awful.
She's wasting godly prose on 'dude i'm a woman lmao'.

What's a good start with Woolf's prose? I mean, I could order The Voyage Out, Day And Night or a really shitty and old copy of Orlando. Help

In fairness, if you're going to ding her for that you've also got to criticize Hemingway for going on about masculinity.

I certainly didn't. I do hope I taught you something here though.

Except Hemingway is plot-heavy.

well, you proved me right, so I thank you for that

I didn't prove anything though. I'm going to let you in on a secret, I'm not actually all of Veeky Forums.

You can't be serious, you can't be fucking serious right now man
You are really saying that the lack of fucking PLOT is relevant, in a board where people supposedly read Dante, Beckett and motherfucking Joyce?
You think the fucking PLOT is what makes Tolstoy and Proust good writters?

Fuck this board, I'm done

I'm going to let you in on a secret, nobody proved me wrong.

>Joyce
mundane plot != no plot

That doesn't mean that no one could. Do you really need someone to walk you through these things?

You must be a retard so let me get this clear for you
NOBODY reads Ulysses for the fucking plot, most of the canon isn't important because of the fucking plot, did you finish harry potter yesterday nigga? do you need some divergent to get you going? come the fuck on

Who was uglier, Joyce or Woolf ?

YOU TAKE THAT FUCKING BACK.

Woolf is a top-tier literary QT3.14.

The chin is the only thing you could possibly criticize. The rest is flawless.

What makes any prose "good"?
She thrives in her own style, which is the batshit abstract kind.
The only book of hers I've read was To the Lighthouse so I can't speak for the rest of em, but at least in that one she's a master at tugging at your heartstrings through her own experiences. It's just a chick telling you about the boring, crushing tragedy of her life and the delusions she'd had about happiness vanishing one by one as she grows older.

She's got a Fitzgerald vibe in that her prose is always elegant and constantly self-reflective, and she doesn't mind bordering on purple prose if it's gonna make a point come across.
Everything she writes is a way to deal with and reflect on her own experiences and struggles through characters pulled straight out of her life, and even if that life wasn't particularly exciting, it was filled with tons of silent little tragedies that she insisted on putting under light. She'll make you feel the passing of time and all the sorrows that come with it by describing the most mundane shit, and she'll do it with vivid, tasteful images and hidden meanings in every motion of her characters.

tl;dr she's Fitzgerald with tits, most retards here unironically hate her because she's a girl and/or they were forced to read one of her books when they were too young to appreciate it

She was pretty ugly, user. At least Joyce was pretty average looking when he was younger, Woolf always looked like a tard.

>most retards here unironically hate her
But they don't. I'd say she's one of the most beloved authors on this board.

He's right. I'm all of Veeky Forums. And all of lit says fuck off.

In all seriousness if you expect a conversation about a writer you're going to have to start off with a lot more than a picture and a line of text. Offer your own perspective, what you like and dislike, and then ask others what they think. Or just demand answers and cry like a cunt when you don't get them.

but muh pinecone

Why do you read Ulysses? The plot's trivial happenings of June 16, 1904 were integral to the overall themes of book eg, father/son odysseus searching, Plato/Aristotle concepts on reality, hamlet's daddy issues and musings on the eternality and equality of human experience.

People saying that Woolf and Joyce lacked plot and is therefore bad do not understand Literature

Are you one of those pseuds who think that literary modernism is just about the aesthetics, the absurd and the LOL WACKY STREAM OF CONSCIOUSNESS LMAO?

sounds a lot like the tartar steppe

Fuck Virginia Wolf. There, did I provide some empirical evidence against your claim?

Are you Veeky Forums? Are you 51% or more of all posters?

>tl;dr she's Fitzgerald with tits
except they are nothing alike? Fitzgerald have one of the most plain, grounded proses of american literature, Woolf is adept of post-modernism techniques and her prose is fluid, non-linear, stream of consciousness is one of the defying characteristics of To the Lighthouse

this board man

>Fitzgerald have one of the most plain, grounded proses
go re-read Fitzgerald faggot

great argument kid, saying Fitzgerald is like Woolf is among one of the most retarded things I've read in this whole site

The Waves.

Anyway, Woolf reads like if Joyce and Dostoyevsky had a British lovechild. A very sad lovechild. She's very insightful, intimately psychological, and unlike Dostoyevsky she isn't Christian so those generally religious themes are replaced with existential and suicidal ones. Her prose is fluid and multidimensional, her sentences are crafted in the stream-of-consciousness style appealing to both the senses and the heart and mind. She's experimental, but not necessarily in the Joycean sense but is often associated with him due to their status as experimental prose stylists.

I don't know how to describe prose, I don't think I could give a good description of any writer's prose, but she never goes out of her way to show off, something I think she and others criticized Joyce for doing, and never utilizes gimmicky devices. If one were to compare her to Joyce, he appeals to the mind while Woolf appeals to the heart.

Honestly just read her work and form your own opinion

>The Waves.
I'd say that Mrs. Dalloway is a better starting point, but I agree on everything else

See

it is, I agree, but he specifically asked for prose and I think The Waves is the better example

This desu

I started To The Lighthouse recently, and it's very good–something that I think would also be very rewarding when reread.

One thing that instantly stuck out to me though was the way she structures her sentences. She is very liberal with the comma, and I'm not sure if I like that or not yet.

>She is very liberal with the comma, and I'm not sure if I like that or not yet.
dude there are more semicolons on the first page of Mrs. Dalloway than there are in the entire ouvre of most authors. And there aren't any chapters chapters.
You get used to

I don't know why my phone put chapters twice.
Also
>you get used to *it*
Android update was absolute dick.

100% right. now leave. one thing people will shit on you in here is the proverbial "do I like this?/is this good?" just read her books then come back here saying why you thought she was shit or why she was great. :^)

>its a hostile Veeky Forums thread episode

Joyce looks like a complete weirdo, Woolf is just a bit below average but she'd probably be very attractive in real life thanks to being smart and shit

In her younger years she was quite attractive apparently. Her mother was also a famous model

Joyce only looked like a weirdo in his later years, when he had eye problems. He was a pretty average early 20th century man before that.

I think Woolf had a crush on him and that's why she wrote negatively about Ulysses

Why does Woolf have to be so tsundere ?

Like Stein, I think she captures absolute presentism really well. Between the Acts is a fabulous example of this.

>Stein
Literally who

She is ugly my friend. Great fan of her writing but the goat in your pic is cuter than she was.

No. I don't know which Stein you are referring to. The goosebumps guy?

>absolute presentism
Explain please what this is?

I wonder...

Gertrude

>Lets go to the cafe

>define making
>define "her"
>define prose
>define "good" without resorting to memes or mentioning "evil"

How long is the waves? I got an ebook of it but it's only like 180~ pages and I want to be sure I didn't get a demo or some shit on accident