Are Crockpots any good?

Are Crockpots any good?
Euro Peen here and they arent that commonly used over here, but I heard some good stuff about them.

Ordered one as they are cheap because why not.

I prefer a dutch oven, basically does that same job, but a crock pot is probably better if you want to cook something for 6+ hours without paying attention.

I have and use both for different reasons.

salsa chicken

That actually one of the things I wanted to try.

Generally making chicken breast more bearable.
Biggest problem is finding salsa here right now.

>That actually one of the things I wanted to try.

Are you serious? That's not a meal worthy of respect or desire, it's shit thrown together by people who can't be bothered to cook properly.

Chicken breast is very lean, thus it's retarded to choose it for a slow cooker dish. Use chicken thighs instead, they are much better suited to a braise. (See what I mean about it being a retarded recipe? The ingredient choice doesn't even match the cooking method)

He just said "salsa chicken", he didn't suggest the cut of it. Although, I agree, lean meats of any type just don't work in crock pots.

I'm clueless about braising in general.

Also ordered a book that goes over the basics of crock pot cooking with some recipes so this will hopefully enlighten me.

>He just said "salsa chicken", he didn't suggest the cut of it

99% of the recipes call for chicken breasts.

Then he goes on to mention breast meat specifically later in his post. So I assumed that he was indeed referring to a recipe calling for chicken breasts.

It isn't ideal, but chicken breast work fine if you are lazy and just want some shredded chicken. It's better than people not cooking at all and it turns out pretty good.

>Also ordered a book that goes over the basics of crock pot cooking

Why do people buy novelty shit like this instead of a real cookbook?

Why not just use thighs instead though? Better. Cheaper. It's a win-win. Choosing breasts for a slow-cooked dish is just plain stupid.

Its mostly recipes so I dont see the issue.

salsa chicken is delicious as all hell doe. easiest top tier tacos you can make

www.seriouseats.com/2016/10/why-pressure-cookers-are-better-than-slow-cookers.html

so did I fuck up by ordering one

I'm sure they have some uses, even the article admits that, just consider carefully whether what you want to cook is suited for a slow cooker I guess

crock pots are alright but everything you make kind of tastes the same. i generally stick to chilli and soup

It's not a complete loss. I use mine for large batches of soup, or letting oxtail braise overnight. But it does tend to burn the bottom even when in warming mode. I prefer using my oven waking up every few hours to check on it, although I know I'm going to get ridiculed for saying that. I feel like you should have one if you need to cook something slow while using your oven for something else, like on thanksgiving.

I have that exact model and I use it all the time. It's not the pinnacle of cooking but if you want to make something decent with almost zero effort it's nice. I'll throw a roast and some vegetables in it in the morning, go to work, and come home to an good ready to eat hot meal with no effort.

I hope you like pork shoulder

Are there people who don't?