Kitchenworker Feels General? Waitstaff are Scum Edition

>be me
>dishwasher, managing a bunch of 16 year old jackasses
>washing dishes, doing my thing
>this one waitress brings back a GIANT cart of shit from the dining room, probably a good seven or eight tables worth
>leaves while cart is blocking all the other waitstaff
>other waitresses start bitching, I have to waste my time unloading her cart
>plates unsorted, napkins and shit just smooshed in between plates
>on the way out, while I still have about 2 hours of work to do, I hear her bitching about her tips and how she 'only' made $200 for 5 hours of work

I hate waitstaff with a passion unmatched for any other profession on the planet. It's where pudgy, mean-spirited, unfulfilled young women or rotten old hags go to die and every single one of them has this godawful attitude that they are somehow entitled to make in one night what I'm lucky to make in three or four full days. They are the most entitled group of people on the planet, bar none. I mean think about it: a group of people who earns 30-40 an hour to hand people food and have a collective bitch-fest with or about whatever drug addicted scum is associated with them.

Post your greentexts here, boys. Let it all out. Rough night behind the line, dumbass teenagers, burger flipping woes, whatever.

Not Invited: Waitstaff

I have come to understand why Gordon Ramsey doesn't bother dealing with wait staff on his shows, but rather contracts it out to his french buddy: If I were him, I'd probably kill myself if I had to deal with a group of people this bad. Shitty restaurant owners and incompetent cooks are one thing, but wait staff CHOOSES to be shit by default. Another prime example:

>be me, working a double shift
>responsibilities include cleaning entire kitchen, boxing up leftover food, motivating the lazy teenage dishboys, mopping, the usual. No big deal.
>wait staff has two counters they are supposed to clean
>wait staff leader is having a rough night because reasons, her cunt is acting up today, who cares
>she decides waitstaff can all leave
>area is still a complete mess
>have to clean up after them, even though it takes me a good 45 minutes more
>next morning, waitstaff manager is whining about how the dishboys aren't doing enough with the silverware (we already sort it and shit, I mean come on)
>mfw

One thing that I love is that the waitstaff in every place I've worked are convinced that they work the hardest out of all the kitchen workers. I mean maybe this is the case in relative terms, because most waitresses where I've worked are of the 'skinny drug addled redneck' variety or the 'waddling fatass' variety, but for fuck's sake is it necessary to complain?

See, I've never heard a kitchenworker whine. I've heard them grumble about something that is unusually obnoxious to deal with (I've worked as a pizza chef and as a general rule I also have a dislike for vegans and most of all people who are gluten free by choice for this reason), but they don't whine about daily stuff. I've never had a word of complaint to say about having to clean a nasty old stove or pick up after some teenager who fucked up. But waitstaff are just venomous and poisonous.

>be me, washing the walls and shit in the dishroom
>kitchen is quiet, service is still several hours away
>overhear the waitstaff complaining about the dishboys
>they are whining that we don't go fast enough
>mfw

Maybe if you lazy assholes cleaned off your plates and put the silverware in a separate bucket like you're supposed to, we'd be able to go faster, now wouldn't we. :^)

samefag

I hate all FOH workers.

>muh job so herd :(

Nothing but entitled normalfags angry that they need one more shift to afford a new iPhone.

why are you such a whiney insufferable faggot?

I like this thread.

Ever notice that wait staff tend to have a disproportionate number of cracked/broken cell phone screens to the rest of the general population?

Like what the fuck are these people doing in their downtime, skateboarding in a half pipe while texting?

Probably letting their two or three squalling redneck children use them, in my experience. Waitstaff have a birthrate probably 2-3 times that of the general population and their kids are almost always the phone-smashing sort.

why does foh think that their job is 'so heeeeeerd, i earn my tips something something hot plates of food'? it's not like the rest of us dont

I agree fuck waitresses they are so fucking entitled and annoying. If anything waitresses do jack shit. They just get the order and put it in the kitchen and THATS IT the runners and busboys are doing the real work they have to bring water and bread and the runners have to bring the dishes out to the customers because the waitresses can't break their nails doing that. Fuck waitresses.

Op how old are you?

[spoiler]young[/spoiler]

>christmas eve
>close at 7pm
>customer calls
>"are you guys open?"
>"we closed at 7pm"
>angry tone "well why did you answer the phone then!?" like the phone only exists for their needs

t. waiter
Fuck off faggot, this is a kitchen autist only thread

>most waitresses where I've worked are of the 'skinny drug addled redneck' variety or the 'waddling fatass' variety

You must live in Midwestern US

ive been a busboy for the past few months and its hell
>waiters treat you like a slave
>make shit money
>have to carry heavy fucking trays on my back as a skelly
I prefered being a cold cook desu. But if you want to become a server and you arent a woman or a flawless chad, you need to pay your dues with bussing

t. dishwasher that worked way up to head cook in a small cafe actually

Stop whining and projecting your hate on people who are jealous of.

Develop some social skills, leave the kitchen, and get a job behind the bar. If you can't do that you deserve to be stuck back with the dirty dishes.

This. I'm cooking and food running now, but the second I can leave the kitchen, I will

I'm a line cook and I like the waiters. Sure I roll my eyes when they complain about tips, and have a moment of rage when they run something to the wrong table or fuck up on a bill, but those moments last seconds and then I'm over it. The 40+ lifers kind of make me sad, but in general the FoH are pretty fun people.

>bottom of the barrel shit job gets treated like shit
hmmm really makes you think

If you don't work somewhere that tips out boh, that's your fault.
>mfw 12/hr + tips as a fry cook at a breakfast joint

>mfw work as a bartender and get paid more hourly and get higher tip percentage than the chefs, literally spend half my shift just standing

Who would ever willingly work in a kitchen

>XX/hr+tips
mfw americans think relying on tips for a living is good

mfw I get more than twice your hourly doing the same thing and don't have to rely on people tipping for my wage

fellow ex-barman here

I volunteered to work in the kitchen once because the KP got the sack for having got into a knife fight with the head chef.

It was a terrible choice, but still got some respect from the kitchen for helping them. Shame my manager was a dick and then made me cover for the waitress whilst she was on her break.

t. FOH waitstaff

This is precisely the sort of entitled attitude that OP is referring to.

>wanting to deal with people all night and making terrible small talk and having to be friendly
it's like you hate yourself and want to die

>her break

why are waitstaff entitled to a bunch of breaks? in most joints they work at best 4-5 hours, what a joke

this

If you work somewhere decent it tends to help, FOH staff tends to have a better attitude and fuck up less. I get along well with most of the FOH/bar staff where i work too.

That said, i still have moments of anger at a few when i overhear complaints about their pay. Literally some will complain about how they 'only' made half again as much as i did in a six hour shift when I'm there fourteen or fifteen goddamn hours.

Dunno, see I don't mind washing dishes, but I hate waiting and will never do it again.

I hadn't waited before and I was the only staff member on the floor, at lunch time - it was pretty bad. God it was such a retarded idea.

I love what i do. The pay sucks but it doesn't feel like work at all most of the time.

Sorry, it wasn't just a 5 minute break. It was her entire lunchbreak.

I love washing dishes too, it's actually sort of zen.

>mfw euros have to make twice as much to have the same standard of living
3 bedroom 2 bathroom downtown apartment for $375/month. I live alone, one room for working out, on for my guitars and amps, one for sleeping. How much do you pay for your studio in the sharia-controlled ghetto?

I have a few, line cook/manager here

>Christmas eve 2016
>usual hours close at 9
>slow all night, i send home the servers and other cooks
>8:45 old couple comes in
>"what time do you guys close"
>tell them 9
>they proceed to sit down
>i bring them water and cutlery
>they sit around for 10 mins looking at the menu and chatting about how festive it is outside
>order a single sandwich that they share
>9:30
>they ask me for some coffee
>grab two cups, start pouring
>sputters, spits out like 2 ounces of coffee
>Sorry guys we are all out of coffee
>"if its not too much trouble could you make some more"
>sure
>spend 5 mins making coffee
>they sit until 10
>they come up and pay
>sorry for keeping you so late, merry Christmas
>look at dishwasher
>looks back at me
>this is how we spend our Christmas eve

>New years 2016
>regular hours, same thing send everyone home but the dishguy at 8
>owner comes to me before he leaves
>just send the washers home too, you can clean up on your own right
>give him a anguished stare
>happy new year and send the dishguy home
>stay until 11:00 on new years washing dishes like a chump

Luckily i don't work with shitty waitstaff though, probably because they are all men and aren't all backstabbing snakes

I do my best thinking when I'm doing a repetitive action with a little music or narration.

You gotta live in bumfuck nowhere
or the home is rented from family

Second-job waiter reporting in. I can confirm firsthand that anyone who bitches about waiting being hard is full of shit. 10+ hours of constant motion is the only thing remotely difficult about the job. Many of you guys went to school for this, work in way more intense conditions and make less than half what we do sometimes. We make twice as much as bartenders in many cases, who serve people and actually have to produce something. The fact that I can make $30-50 an hour doing this and $20 an hour in my actual career that I studied for four years and requires way more brain power is absurd.

I'm admittedly a hypocrite and not principled enough to give up the undeserved extra income, but fuck entitled waitstaff. Props to you guys for putting up with it, I sure as hell wouldn't unless I loved it.

>3 bedroom apartment
>fucking $375 a month
Where the fuck is this? Where i live a fairly shitty one bedroom apartment is like 1200.

Oh no, working until 11 on NYE
>mfw i was at work until 3am that night

I'm sure it's dependent on the place, but most places I've worked at don't do breaks for FOH unless it's extremely slow, even for 12-hour shifts.

that would actually be illegal where i'm from. you have to go on a half hour break if you work 6+ hours

I get along with my wait-stuff.
Maybe you guys are just assholes

Oh, it's definitely not legal here either, but in most states, employers can fire you just for the hell of it at any time, so laws like that can be easily circumvented and generally aren't worth the effort to fight.

I'd honestly rather work through it and get the extra money anyway.

This, and same for kitchen staff. I haven't had a break at work in six years.

dropping their phones in a failed attempt to hide the fact that they're texting during work from their manager/supervisor

>dishwasher
>managing

common, hun. pick one

OP here. I worked as a prep cook actually, which happened to include managing the dishboys and washing dishes after the dinner service. I tended to do more dishwashing than prep though, because this place had more than enough cooks for the actual shifts.