Humans are always motivated by self-interest, even in what seem to be acts of altruism

>humans are always motivated by self-interest, even in what seem to be acts of altruism.
>lol u can murder ur mum if u want to my man but you have to empower yourself first
This doesn't compute. If Stirner was just a proponent of laissez-faire psychological egoism as many on this board claim (i.e. descriptive "all humans operate like this and that's ok") then he would

a) not bring up spooks. How do "spooks" fit into a world view of psychological egoism when they obviously satisfy the spooked or by the principles of this world view the spooked would not subscribe to them?
b) not bring up all these fringe cases that clearly violate the principles of descriptive psych. egoism in 99.9% of people. Oh wow if I felt like it/"empowered myself" to do so I could slash your throat and not feel bad, that's good to know.

His raison d'etre in the 21st century meme format (because back then there was no established field of psychology so he is excused) must then mean instead something that goes beyond description-- and my guess is it's a spineless flavor of naive ethical egoism with a pretend-masochistic twist: "look, you think you are acting in your self-interest with this psychological satisfaction of [altruistic, self-denying etc. actions] but you are doing it wrong, the spook [ideology/meme] is controlling you and robbing you of your creative expression (creative nothing and so on). You can love but only if you have Jesus levels of empathy for the person. If you only stick around because it gives you mild satisfaction then you are still subjecting yourself to the spook. Stop feeling sad for plebs etc.".

Funnily enough this fits in perfectly with the pussy attitude to life of many intelligent but insecure young men, the empathy part is consequently an alibi, a back door for when people rightfully calling you what you are, an apathetic and naive egoist and if this is true then to see Stirner's philosophy as anything beyond that is cognitive dissonance and Nietzsche did it better.

Really makes u think :/

they don't always satisfy the spooked

Read his fucking works first you cretin

Even religion, therefore, is founded on our egoism and — exploits it; calculated for our //desires//, it stifles many others for the sake of one. This then gives the phenomenon of //cheated// egoism, where I satisfy, not myself, but one of my desires.

Did you honestly base your opinion of him based on the "everything is a spook" meme on lit and not on his works?

Very well planned out bait, but whatever.

A spook is mental conditioning you have received in your life which limits you from truly being free and able to do what you will; but this conditioning has created you and your will, yet it also limits you. It is not limited to political ideology or religion. Any negative condition which controls your behavior is a ''spook''.

Any thought or act is inherently selfish, it can't be anything else.

It's funny how many people don't read his books and then start arguing about him as if they know what the fuck they're talking about

.... you didn't actually read the book, did you user?

I read his entire ouevre in German including all newspaper articles and secondary lit and then I read Ego in English, thank you very much.

404 your arguments not found

>A spook is mental conditioning you have received in your life which limits you from truly being free and able to do what you will; but this conditioning has created you and your will, yet it also limits you. It is not limited to political ideology or religion. Any negative condition which controls your behavior is a ''spook''.
That's not even Stirner but I'll roll with it. So this is an apology for Stirner to move him away from psych. egoism but then you flip it around in the next sentence? Make up your mind or I have to accuse you of bait myself. You can't have your cake and eat it too.

In case you're serious: If any thought or act is selfish then there cannot exist a homunculus that rates your will as negative, limiting etc. William James comes to mind about how empowering faith is and Stirner knew this too in the case of love but he was too much of a pussy to be pragmatic about it which is why he died a virgin.

And seriously

>Any thought or act is inherently selfish, it can't be anything else.
Any thought or act is inherently altruistic, it can't be anything else. Which defintions are we going to inflate to hell and beyond next? Even Stirner wasn't as delusional as this. He called the egoist a spook because of the existing definition which is why he avoided the term almost completely. Don't spook me with your "cognitive" version of "selfish", that is a meaningless pseudoword. Thank you.

>being this spooked
kys yourself

You first, victim of self-incurred immaturity.

Define maturity.

>In case you're serious: If any thought or act is selfish then there cannot exist a homunculus that rates your will as negative, limiting etc.

But there can, and is. The ''homunculus'' is the conditioning. You will act and think based on it, and it is subject to change due to continuous influence. This doesn't conflict with psychological egoism at all. ''Limiting'' might have been a bad choice of words, because it is either an observation of another person or a retrospective analysis.

>I read his entire ouevre in German including all newspaper articles and secondary lit and then I read Ego in English, thank you very much.

Then why do you keep calling Stirner a virgin in every thread you autist lol.

>But there can, and is. The ''homunculus'' is the conditioning. You will act and think based on it, and it is subject to change due to continuous influence. This doesn't conflict with psychological egoism at all. ''Limiting'' might have been a bad choice of words, because it is either an observation of another person or a retrospective analysis.
You misrepresent my homunculus argument if you equate it to conditioning. What I'm asking is if the conditioning dictates, who passes the judgement of "negative"? There has to be a little Stirner inside you that says "no that's shit". But how does he pass that judgement? What is negative conditioning to little Stirner if HE was dictating it all along? Observaton of other people, ok, but there is zero room for self-reflection, don't you see? No retrospective analysis possible!

I think I get it now btw, it's no wonder he died a virgin.. he simply didn't want to contradict himself!

The ''little Stirner'' isn't there. The self is an amalgamation of influences. As i said the conditioning process is continuous. Conditioning can be seen as negative in observation of externals or in retrospect. Apply this to Plato's cave for example.

>No retrospective analysis possible
Can you remember a time when you didn't believe what you are telling me now?

>The self is an amalgamation of influences. As i said the conditioning process is continuous.
This is not psych. egoism. Also no need to get all tao on me bro.

> Conditioning can be seen as negative in observation of externals or in retrospect.
Observation of externals? Observing the MINDS of other people?

In retrospect? As in NOT being selfish?

feels fking Epicurus man

>Observation of externals? Observing the MINDS of other people?

Observe their behavior, and based on your own introspection, you can pretty much understand what they're thinking. Of course not completely, but to an extent it is possible.

>In retrospect? As in NOT being selfish?

I don't see how this relates to selfishness. Maybe you are confused, I am in fact telling you that psychological egoism is a fact. Name me an exception and i will debunk it. This is very basic shit, I fail to see what your main point is.

>Observe their behavior, and based on your own introspection, you can pretty much understand what they're thinking. Of course not completely, but to an extent it is possible.
Weasel words over 9k. Ok buddddd

> I am in fact telling you that psychological egoism is a fact. Name me an exception and i will debunk it. This is very basic shit, I fail to see what your main point is.
I fail to see what your main point is as well. I have an issue with Stirner being equated to psych. egoism (despite both being horrible). I don't want to debate psych. egoism

>Weasel words over 9k
What does this even mean?

I see no point in arguing. You haven't provided any useful information or refuted anything.

I have to go to bed now mom is angry