What are some funny novels? Generally speaking is humour pleb or patrician?

What are some funny novels? Generally speaking is humour pleb or patrician?

Catch-22 is a good choice.

This is what's on my humor shelf.

Shakespeare's comedies, Aristophanes' comedies, The Trial, In Search of Lost Time, Candide, Dead Souls, The Golden Ass, Ulysses, The Adventures of Huckleberry Finn, Infinite Jest, Gravity's Rainbow, Mason & Dixon, J R, Lolita, Gargantua and Pantagruel, Tristram Shandy, Satyricon, Watchmen, Moby Dick

Suttree
The Dog of the South
Modern Baptists
End As A Man

>is humour pleb

nigga i can't think of a piece of literature that doesn't have humor

That book was terrible - an incredible waste of time.

The Life and Opinions of Tristram Shandy, Gentleman

El ingenioso hidalgo Don Quijote de La Mancha

portnoy's complaint

JR is funny as shit

if anything, infinite jest was pretty funny

How do you figure?

PG Wodehouse
Evelyn Waugh

Wodehouse is one of the best writers who's ever lived, Waugh was one of the best of the previous century.

good humour is patrician
bad/failed humour is pleb
humour is not a genre, though some books are very funny, while others are not

IJ
Master and Margheritta
Notes from Underground
Nietzsche is funny as hell also

Wodehouse

Is Aristophanes actually L O L funny?

No mention of James Thurber?

beleeb it

At Swim-Two-Birds.

Read the Satyricon.

Generakly speaking I find things like Celine, Miller, Thompson, Salinger funny.

Yes pal! Recommend this book to anyone in the thread over the age of 18.

Fanatstic.

Also, I, Lucifer - Glen Duncan, I always recommend here. Definitely a funny book and if you went willingly or not to church as a kid you will definitely enjoy it.

I was surprised to find Gravity's Rainbow maka me chuckle

The Facetious Nights of Straparola
The Late Mattia Pascal
If on a Winter's Night a Traveler
Master and Margarita
Heart of a Dog
White Tiger
Fight Club
Clockwork Orange
Snuff
The True story of Ah Q
Pickwick Papers
Castle of Otranto
The Trial
The Penal Colony by Kafka
Lolita
100 Years of Solitude
Chronicle of a Death foretold
Like Water for Chocolate
Lolita
Catcher in the Rye
Notes from Underground
Three Men in a Boat
Hitchhiker's guide to the galaxy
Dead Souls
Plays by Moliere (especially Tartuff, Le Misanthrope, and Le Bourgeois gentilhomme)
Plays by Beckett (End Game and Waiting for Godot)
Comedies of Shakespeare (the tempest was the funniest imo)
Tus amigos nunca te harían daño
Various fables of Brothers Grimm (Hans in Luck,The Story of the Youth Who Went Forth to Learn What Fear Was, etc.)

Definitely this. One of the best and funniest books I've read in a long time.

Lolita is pretty fucking hilarious

>2 years, reader!

More mexicans to portray spaniards please

I didn't like the book that much but this would be gold.

Del Toro is Puerto Rican

Pretty much the same thing

jon is too fat and probably doesn't speak french that good

Not even remotely. There are more differences than you seem to think there are between south Americans. Nothing says "ignorant" like lumping them all together.

I really enjoyed The Restraint of Beasts. It's a quick read and the punchline only really surfaces in the final lines but I deem it a great insight into country attitudes.

Neither puerto rico nor mexico is south american

Best post

How funny is confederacy of dunces?

>is X pleb or patrician?
How can you seriously, unironically ask these questions? Don't you have any self reflection at all?

>is humour pleb or patrician?
it's for the insecure

Quite.

Humor can be patrish. You have to be really smart to make a smart, jaded person laugh.

I also have more respect for someone who looks at the world and laughs rather than cries or just has no reaction.

Holy shit McDonagh would be perfect for Céline

pretty funny

B-but not Hamm? Who would be good for Bardamu?

>You have to be really smart to make a smart, jaded person laugh.
Not really. everyone laughs at farts, shit and genitals jokes. How the joke is told makes the difference.

I thought this book was pretty fucking funny when I was younger. It probably still is. Most of Pynchon's works have me laughing my ass of at times as well. Also if you give a fuck about the pleb/patrician dichotomy you're probably still a pleb.

>is humour pleb

Jesus Christ this board sometimes

Not so much towards the end, but still.

No, not Iñárritu...please! I know it's basically unadaptable, but it should be taken through a more experimental route. Iñárritu would unavoidably make some pseudo-intellectual bullshit.

What are some books which have a similar type of humour to the first part of White Noise? So like the type of humour that comes from something like 'Hitler Studies'. I've read Gravity's Rainbow and Crying Lot as well as Infinite Jest and there are funny moments for sure but it's not as densely pacted in funny I don't feel.

>confederacy of dunces
fuckin trash.
"oh it's funny cuz he jerks off to his dog and doesn't like to work!"
HARDY HAR HAR HAR MOTHERFUCKERS

Oblomov is quite funny at times, but overall the novel is so sad, and even depressing. The end will have you streaming tears, but then Goncharov will throw in a joke and you'll think "you bastard just let me weep", and laugh anyway.

Memes aside Oblomov is one of the greatest books I've ever read. It's a damn near perfect novel.

i can second most of the stuff here, but i would include gabriel garcia marquez as well. did nobody here laugh when one of the buendias balanced a beer bottle on his cock? even the little descriptions and off-handed remarks are funny: the air was so humid a fish could swim in and out of the windows. stuff like that is charming and funny.

also, flann o'brien. he's very joycean, but he seems to be more irish-influenced than joyce, who seems to be a worldly person. at-swim-two-birds is fuckin hilarious.

aristophanes i would second heartily. i have a really funny and vulgar translation of lysistrata/clouds by sommerstein which has cunt, fuck, cock, etc. i think, to suit better modern vulgarities? it's really funny. read it!

best joycean pun from finnegan's wake:
>pennis in the Slutsmaschine
the irish are incredibly funny: beckett, wilde, flann, etc.

I sped through Oblomov a long time ago, I really need to read it once more, have you ever read the Petty Demon?

also, i would put mordecai richler as maybe the best, but definitely the funniest, canadian novelist. The Apprenticeship of Duddy Kravitz is hilarious.

also, does anyone wanna chime in on flannery o'connor? she writes with such irony, her stories are jokes in themselves.

I'll recommend the Miriam Schwartz translation .

Haven't read the petty demon. Why do you suggest it?

The Good Soldier Svejk

I don't, i was just curious. Figured you might know about some of the lesser known russians

I was going to recommend these when I saw this thread. Glad to see someone beat me to it.

Others have made some really good recommendations. I think Dead Souls is pretty funny. And I'll probably be crucified for saying this but Absurdistan is funny and I like it