I bought a king james bible on the cheap

I bought a king james bible on the cheap

Which books in it are essential?

Ive already got Job and Genesis on my list.

That's about it. Gospel of Mark and Revelations too.

Exodus is cool.

Just read the fucking book you mongoloid. With no other text would you be picking and choosing random excerpts to read.

Pretty much everything in there is great Veeky Forums except there are a few you might wanna skip on the first read, like Numbers, the Letters, Revelations. But yeah go cover to cover, the books lead into each other. Genesis straight to Exodus is a phenomenal transition and volta. So are many others

Also don't skip the poem books like Lamentations or Psalms, those is fucking awesmoe

Ecclesiastes is worth a read.

Exodus is great, but you should probably skip the absurdly detailed instructions for making a fancy tent.

Read the instructions the first time. But skip the part where they fucking repeat the description all over again... there are interesting and telling differences between the two accounts if you're in scholar mode, but it doesn't make for compelling reading

All of it. If u don't read The Bible ur a fat fedora fag.

OT:

Genesis

Kings

Isiah

Ezekiel

NT:

Mark

John

John

Luke

Acts

Revelations

Then psalms and proverbs for side reading.

Then move onto the sequel!

Way to false flag, false flagger

You forgot Exodus, Jeremiah, Lamentations, and Matthew. And Revelations is overrated nonsense.

Actually for Matthew you can just listen to Bach's St Matthew Passion. Kinda better than the book.

Nah Revelations is top grade psychotropic learning. The seven churches - they're inside you bro...they're inside you right now.

Reread the thing now - the churches are inside you.

Ecclesiastes.

OT:
-Exodus is rather important too, Deuteronomy is a good idea also; Leviticus and Numbers not quite as much
-Joshua
-parts of Samuel and Kings, in particular those involving David and Solomon
-prophets: Isaiah for sure, maybe Jeremiah too, along with some 'minor' (i.e., shorter) ones like Hosea, Jonah, Malachi
-intersperse the Psalms, and maybe Proverbs, in with the rest of your Bible reading

NT:
-Gospels: Matthew makes the firmest connection with the OT and focuses on Jesus as Son of Man, and John emphasizes Jesus as Son of God, so those two are the most essential
-epistles: Romans, 1 Corinthians, Philippians, Hebrews, James, 1 John
-Revelation, in order to be familiar with it for its role in things like Millennialism

My edition doesnt have deuteronomy what do

Not OP btw

>no song of solomon

Books that explain the history of the Bible, and its pagan origins.

This one just came out, it's a study on the story of Adam and Eve, which had a pagan precursor in Ugarit. I don't know if it's available in English, but the title translates to "Adam, Eve and the Devil: Canaanite myths and the Bible"

Here's the English version.

I can also highly recommend "The Ark before Noah" by Irving Finkel. Many of the early parts of the Old Testament are very interesting, and there's a lot of research done and being done right now

how'd you get a Bible without Deuteronomy? that's really odd.

No idea. Its a KJV too.

the pagan origins are a waste of time
that a text has influences is completely obvious and doesn't require pointing out, the research on the actual matter is highly diffused and leads to almost no conclusions except that the material has been nearly completely transformed in the bible, to the point where their inclusion are probably repudiations of the original
i.e. genesis against the divinization of nature

That sounds inconceivable. Is your edition maybe in a language that has a different name for the book? (The name doesn't come from the original Hebrew for example, nor Latin, but via Greek).

It wasn't an exhaustive list. Song of Songs has its place certainly; I would point out in particular how the narrative progresses from the first flush of attraction to a fuller and more selfless (reflection of divine) love. Also it doesn't seem necessary to make special mention of the book in a forum filled with lads.

You guys like Cain and Abel?

>ctrl-f James
>1 mention

Its like you guys dont want to be better human beings

fuck james he a lil punkass!

jk bro xxx :PXXXX

James I was joking give the lantern back plssss

Nevermind im a retard, checked the contents and there it was. For some reason i remembered it immedietely following genesis

You should really read them all. If you don't immediately understand the context, look it up.

Spend a year or two doing this and you will know a lot more about history and the structure of the western world.

Really, it's worth just swallowing it all.

NO U

I'm thinking about picking up the New Oxford annotated bible today. Yay or nay? srs question.