Ramen from your childhood?

Did any of you grow up with instant ramen in the home?

My mom moved here from Japan in 1976, and our house always had cups and bags of instant ramen in the pantry. She preferred Maruchan, but bought Nissin too.

Back then, there weren't all the cheesy/Mexican/etc. flavors we have now - just chicken, beef, "Oriental", and maybe a couple of others. We also didn't have the bigger-package varieties that claim to simulate chow mein, yakisoba, etc. Just the basic cups and bags.

I also remember that the cup noodles included bits of dehydrated meat and egg. Most of them don't seem to anymore.

Tonight, I prepared a cup of Nissin, chicken flavor, and added a scrambled egg and a Sriracha drizzle (yeah, that sauce is trendy now, but remember that Asians and Asian immigrants have been using this stuff for decades).

What are your ramen memories?

Other urls found in this thread:

discord.gg/Yvh2cR5
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

In middle school we used to rush the noodles and pour the powder in the bag then shake it up and eat it raw as a snack because "it'll cook in our stomach". Couldn't imagine doing that nasty shit now.

Tell me more umami-kun

Yes.

For some very odd reason, top ramen began grossing me out and I became obsessed with these between ages 7 - 14.

I like to think they helped comfort me after my parents split up. I'd eat them as a snack and most definitely believe they helped me get fat during the late 90's.

The very last one I had, 15 years ago, made me vomit on the way to football (handegg) practice one Saturday morning. Never again.

I used to sometimes eat a bite of the noodle block before cooking it, just for fun. Never ate an entire one that way, though.

Hmm. Well... we ate these a LOT. Like at least a couple of times a week. Until the early 2000's or so, anyway, when my mom decided (correctly) that they weren't healthy and stopped buying them.

My buddies and I used to make either maruchan chicken flavor ramen, or kraft mac and cheese for lunch when we were kids. We considered ourselves as knowing the ins and outs of making this stuff, and quite knowledgeable. I think we were just proud we could boil water and follow directions tbqh

Never had instant ramen until I was a poor college student.

How do you add egg to ramen
I have had a couple packs of beef ramen sitting around for like a year and I might try it tomorra

One cup of Cup Noodles, ever day, for three years. That was my lunch in high school.
Years later the Chinese barista at my college told me, in all sincerity, that those were what caused my diabetes, but I think she thought I had type 2 instead of type 1.

You see people cut soft boiled eggs in half and add to the soup bit I just drop the egg in whole when it's finished and still really hot. It creates an egg drop kind of consistency, and thickens the soup up. It makes it a bit more substantial.

Ramen wouldnt give you diabetes
Maybe high blood pressure or kidney stones

i remember the very first time i had mr noodles when i was 3 or 4 and it really blew my mind

i used to just call it long noodle soup

Maruchan Tomato flavor.. I can't even Google a picture of it now.

Everybody did this at my elementary school.

What retard schools did you guys go to?

You aint shit till you ate this

This is a legitimate snack in asian countries though. they sell them in packages to be eaten in such ways

shhh
>cook this up with a freshly fried egg and green onions over a bed of lettuce/cucumber

Fucking good with raw tomatoes

yeah, i never realized that we were kind of poor back then because we always had instant ramen on the weekends but i never really thought too much about it

we always got chinese brands though, i never liked western brands because they all tasted too artificial.

Grew up poor as fuck, so we kids ate a ton of Ramen... Back then we just referred to it as "Noodle Soup".

I still crave the stuff, even though I am fairly well off, married to a great cook, and have no reason to eat it. I make a packet, add extra water for maximum broth, crack in an egg and add some green onion.

Ate this since I was at least 10 and I'm almost 26 now. Never see it mentioned though but I know a ton of Ausfags must buy it because it's pretty much the only actually spicy thing that hasn't been discontinued after 9 months.
I don't eat shit like that anymore for fat reasons generally but very very rarely I still get the urge for this shit.

Rikers Island

My siblings and I used to crunch up the package before opening it, cook the noodles in the microwave with water, then drain them and mix the packet in.

I still do this minus the crunching up the noodles. Broth can go fuck itself.

I remember the ramen cups with the freeze dried egg and meat in it they were great. I wish i could find cups with the egg in them again but i haven't seen them in almost 20 years.

I crunch it up, it's easier to eat with a spoon, but fuck draining. Broth is where it's at.

I didn't eat Ramen until I was a man and then it was nothing but curly spaghetti in broth.

I loved having Oriental and still do occasionally, haven't tried any other flavors yet. But i have other options for lunch besides ramen.

>Did any of you grow up with instant ramen in the home?

Nope, we never had it at home. First time I tried it was when I was in college.

I always just had a bowl of roast beef noodles and I would fish them out with cheetos

>roast beef

millennial detected

are u a hapa because like so many others ur mom is an aqt who couldnt resist her BWC cravings

Pretty sure most people on Veeky Forums are millennials.

Never instant. Just used to get chicken broth, kimchi and put a smidge of gyoza dipping sauce in.

I've always had a few ramen lying around for easy hearty soups.

Always chicken, only use half the seasoning packet that comes with it, and doctor the water with other herbs, spices and, and liquids (cayenne, ginger, mustard powder, hot sesame oil, vinegar, soy sauce, fish sauce). Then plop in some maiitake mushrooms, noodles, handful of greens and drop in an egg or two.

Comfy hot and sour soup, and mighty delicious

Actual junk food in SE Asia. It's further fried so it's crispy

I poach the egg along with the noodle. Just add the egg when the noodle starts to soften. Keep stirring the pot slowly to prevent the egg sticking. I eat the egg towards the end...by then it should be nicely poached with a half gooey yolk.

Whenever I stayed over at my grandma's, for breakfast she'd make me instant noodles with this brand. She'd add in green onions and an egg.

She used to also bake a shit ton of fries and serve me an over easy egg to dip the fries into.

Grandma, you are the best.

Wow. I'd never heard of this. But the internet seems to think it existed.

My family was really poor at the time, but my mother would always surprise us with the good stuff she managed to cook, when we couldn't afford nothing very sofisticated, she would make that Nissin with milk sauce and provolon cheese, Its a good memory i have from a terrible time. Every now and then i ask her to make me a bowl of it, i hope to one day learn to do it.

This was the rarest flavor on the playground. Only the coolest kids had these.

discord.gg/Yvh2cR5 join