Books you are eagerly waiting for

I'd say mine is pic related, which launches next year..

I have also pre-ordered Bottom's Dream.

>Pre-ordering books.

English translation of Min Kamp 6, and that's it.

I was very unimpressed by auster s writing in brooklyn follies and I expect it to have gotten worse

You think so? I quite liked his Winter's Journal.

>implying Jerusalem isn't my answer

Skin in the game by Taleb to be honest.

He does seem like he peaked early from what little I've read by him. It's a shame since The New York Trilogy was pretty cool.

Auster isn't a great writer, but like Murakami or Vonnegut, he's a good light literary read. He has his moments, though: the middle section of Invisible is really good. Also, he can somehow hold me riveted when all he's doing - literally - is describing a movie he saw when he was a kid, scene by scene, for like, thirty pages (Report from the Interior). You have to give him credit for that, I guess.

Oh, I forgot: Auster's nonfiction is really good. Pick up the Collected Prose, it's got The Invention of Solitude and Hand to Mouth in it. The first is a memoir about his father that earned him a lot of attention when it came out, and the second is a less famous but still good memoir about becoming a writer. Thumbs up.

What's wrong with this? I trust Dalkey Archive Press when it comes down to quality.

>Also, he can somehow hold me riveted when all he's doing - literally - is describing a movie he saw when he was a kid, scene by scene, for like, thirty pages (Report from the Interior).
this is what DeLillo does well too

The wrong Auster died

Yeah, the invention of solitude was great. I don't even like memoirs and I still enjoyed it.

The rest of In Search of Lost Time published by Yale. They're being published 1 volume a year, and volume 2 was published last year. What makes these editions so good are the extensive annotations by Proust scholar William C. Carter.

isnĀ“t paul auster a fucking Pomo?

Is this edition that much better compared to the other recent one? I think it was the new Penguin edition with a new translation

Exterior Signs of Wealth by Fran Lebowitz

'Untitled Water Book Thing' - Joseph McElroy
4321 - Paul Auster
The End of Cinnamon - jordaan mason

I've read six of Auster's books, and of them, Brooklyn Follies was definitely the least impressive. IMO, his non-fiction is his best work, and reading that gives you an appreciation for his slightly more experimental novels (of which BF is certainly not), because there's a lot of him mixed in them (sometimes implicitly, and sometimes with characters walking around who're named 'Paul Auster' and write books for a living).

If you ever feel the need to give him another go, then start with the Invention of Solitude. Then the NY Trilogy.
Like the other user said, he's not a mad genius or anything, but as far as light literary stuff goes... well, I don't feel ashamed in calling him one of my favorite authors.

>Untitled Water Book Thing
Please expound, I need to cum.

I can't seem to find any concrete info about when it's coming out (or if it's even done yet, but a couple months ago, he posted a pic of the manuscript pages on his instagram (his account's 'officialmcelroy')).

Literally all I know about it is that it's being referred to as his 'water book', and that it's long as fuck. It's a Day One buy for me anyway.
I think there's an excerpt floating around (link can probably be found on /r/josephmcelroy somewhere), but I'm saving myself.

T H E P A S S E N G E R

why "water book"?

Hopefully it's a 1000 page essay on water.

Like mr. Women & Meme's answer to DFW's this is water thing?

came here to say this