Pynchon

I've bought Gravity's Rainbow but think I might read V. and/or Crying of... first to get used to Pynchon. Are there good and bad versions of these two books? (I've read that one of the versions of GR has printing erros)

Other urls found in this thread:

bookerrata.com/books/gravity.html
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

>tfw bought the wheres waldo fucking version of GR because that's what they had
these shit versions have smeared print sometimes but they have no serious errors I believe

there's a graphic on this stuff

Do you have the graphic?

I'm starting with Mason and Dixon. I'm new to reading on a regular basis so I've had to struggle a bit at times but I've made out to pg90 in a couple days. If I can read it surely anyone can.

The Penguin Classics version of GR used to have some printing errors, but a) if you can't tell what's meant through context, then chances are the slight misreading isn't going to confuse you anymore than the book already is, and b) they're fixed in the reprints.

Link to errors:
bookerrata.com/books/gravity.html

So just get whichever one you like the look of the best.

Get the GR edition with the blueprint cover.

Not op, but is this edition of V. ok?

no

it has an exceptionally ugly cover

Just read him in order.

Yes. It's the best and the paper feels magnificent.

Has anyone got bleeding edge?

the edge of my finger is bleeding

If I'm not mistaken, it belongs to the uncorrected version, so it's not the definitive version by the author. Not sure about misprints. And overall it's probably OK, but my OCD can't deal with knowing that so I don't currently own a copy. I'll snatch an old used vintage some time.

this is generally OK advice, but, having still to read Vineland, M&D and AtD, I'm tempted to go cronological. I'm already a fan of him so no further reading will be endangered

samefagging from another thread:

By all the descriptions I'm reading in threads here regarding Vineland, I'm actually getting kind of hyped to read it. It's arriving by mail next week. I'm interested to read a mature Pynchon with less quirkiness than his earlier works, but still meaty, long and complex. Don't get me wrong, I just finished a second read of GR (first was in 2011) and actually re-read several passages and took notes, used bookmarks... the whole nine yards. But it will be nice to see a more down to earth side of him. That would prove the point that he's not just a one-trick-pony, right?

I feel so bad when I see these covers, like on a spiritual level

Fuck, there's no consensus. I have to buy from book depository and it's either this edition or the where's waldo one.

If you're more of a physical book fetishist, buy the pretty one. If you're more concerned with content, go with the waldo. It's a cheap edition so you can give it away if you hate it or upgrade later

I don't really care about aesthetics user (pic related). My only concern with waldo was the warning that famous chart posted above gives, although I'm not sure if it was a warning for those three books specifically or the whole collection.

Bump

Shit, I bought the Penguin Classics version of Gravity's Rainbow and I started it last night. Are the misprints that bad?

There's a link above that will solve all your problems. You just have to read user. Just read.

this is bs

please elaborate

This

Bump

I started with Gravity's Rainbow and I'm doing just fine. People say that V. and the Crying of Lot 49 are both shit, so why not advise readers to start with his most praised work instead of his least praised works ? Also, that edition of Gravity's Rainbow has had the error corrected. Please never post this chart ever again, it's garbage.

That cover looks beautiful, user. You have some shit taste.

But I think is right user:

pynchon.net/articles/10.7766/orbit.v1.1.33/

If I understand correctly, harper perennial reproduces the first US uncorrected edition and vintage edition is the one that's corrected.

V. is not shit. Just not as perfectly realized as GR. Still definitely worth a read IMHO

feels bad man

I think this is important.