Lynch influences

I recenty get into David Lynch movies and I was wondering where did he got the inspiration for his work

Is it from some books?

Kafka and Kline are major influences.

he's gone pretty firmly on record as saying that all of his ideas originate while practicing transcendental meditation, and that he doesn't try to think about things in a conscious manner along the lines of what you seem to be suggesting

What about his decision to fuck up twin peaks?

Wasn't his decision, the killer of Laura wasn't supposed to be revealed that fast, he Made Twin Peaks Great Again in the last few episodes.

There's a fantastic book titled Lynch on Lynch which is a series of interviews with him themed roughly around his movies up to an including Mulholland Drive. As one of the other anons mentioned, Kafka is one name that comes up as an influence. He mentions how he's got a screenplay for the Metamorphosis and how Kafka's one author he dreams of adapting.

Thanks for the data

why are frogs so fucking disgusting
they look like a rotten ballsack

you mean his decision to make wild at heart?
mark frost is more to blame for the s2 decline, he kept writing shitty scripts and letting them get to air
read the s2 finale shooting script, lynch threw that shit out and filmed off the dome

Nice

I think he means Fire Walk With Me, which was a very concious fuck-up by Lynch

>Fire Walk With Me
>fuck-up
FWWM is great

>The lumberjacks in the lodge
>The masked guy
>Close-ups of the masked guy
>The kid with the mask
>The electricity travelling
>Completely unnecessary David Bowie
>The ring
>No Lara Flynn Boyle
>Unnecessary and ridiculous "FBI sign language"
>Whole shitload of other unnecessary and ridiculous things
>Garmonbozia

>Not a fuck-up

I read a quote by Lynch somewhere where he said that one of his major influences was Tarkovsky. He said something about his own attempts at painting, but being unsatisfied with it. He wanted to imagine his paintings as moving and when he saw the work of Tarkovsky he knew that Tarkovsky had done exactly that.

I coulnd't find the Lynch quote, but here's a Tarkovsky one:
“Unlike all the other art forms, film is able to seize and render the passage of time, to stop it, almost to possess it in infinity. I’d say that film is the sculpting of time.”

That quote was what first got me to check out Nostalghia. I didnt understand shit the first time, but i almost immediatly watched it again. And then again. And then went over to Stalker and The Mirror. Don't be afraid of the 'pretentious artsy reputation' and enjoy the beauty if you haven't already.

Top tier post, inspired me to do a funi mene

And for a reaction mene

>The lumberjacks in the lodge
kino
>The masked guy
kino
>Close-ups of the masked guy
kino
>The kid with the mask
kino
>The electricity travelling
kino
>Completely unnecessary David Bowie
cameo-kino
also
what would be a necessary David Bowie, in your opinion?
>The ring
kino
>No Lara Flynn Boyle
cast-kino
lara sucks, the new girl was better
>Unnecessary and ridiculous "FBI sign language"
sign kino
What would be necessary and non ridiculous "FBI sing language", in your opinion?
>Whole shitload of other unnecessary and ridiculous things
kino
im starting to feel like you dont get surrealist cinema
>Garmonbozia
kino

Not a fuck-up
Pure Kinography
this guy knows

>The Mirror
Any books that give a similar vibe to that film?

Freud

His dreams and observing the world around him. People behave realistically in his movies if you're redpilled and observe the absurdity of humans.

I enjoy any film that's done the way I like it, the post was mostly done as a humorous attack on the poor guy that liked FWWM

The last episode of Twin Peaks was the best one, after that I didn't expect such a big drop in quality even though the show had been in steady decline through the second season

I love Lynch's other films (with the exception of Lost Highway which was pretty forgettable) with Eraserhead and Mulholland Dr. being the brightest of the lot. Absurd/surreal films are my favorite to watch, just when they are done right.

Maybe, in a way, Adventures in Immediate Reality by Max Blecher. Another suggestion would be Bruno Schulz.

/tv/ here. I don't recall him ever mentioning a book as influence. He usually mentions Kubrick, Fellini and Jacques Tati as favorite directors.
Pretty sure he likes reading, but don't get fooled that his movies has some extremely deep meaning. He understands the combination of picture and sound and how they affect the human mind like no other, but his movies are usually just things he personally experienced - a dream or most of the time thing that happened to him, or a story he heard from a friend.