“In his extreme youth Stoner had thought of love as an absolute state of being to which, if one were lucky...

>“In his extreme youth Stoner had thought of love as an absolute state of being to which, if one were lucky, one might find access; in his maturity he had decided it was the heaven of a false religion, toward which one ought to gaze with an amused disbelief, a gently familiar contempt, and an embarrassed nostalgia. Now in his middle age he began to know that it was neither a state of grace nor an illusion; he saw it as a human act of becoming, a condition that was invented and modified moment by moment and day by day, by the will and the intelligence and the heart.”

FUCK

>a condition that was invented
what?

He's saying that by the intelligence and will of the heart, over a period of time, a condition is invented that one experiences, which is commonly called 'love'.

>a condition is invented
sounds like scientifical bullshit nonetheless.

"a condition took hold of him" would sound better

by the way, who wrote this?

>by the way, who wrote this?

Some sexist writer.

kek

>"a condition took hold of him" would sound better

it wouldn't, and it also doesn't convey the active involvement of the will, intelligence and heart. it would completely change the meaning of the passage.

so how do you invent a condition?

i hope youre trolling and not legitimately this stupid man

>by the way, who wrote this?
>37 600 results on Google

I guess we'll never know.

I just did it right now, twice

I was in love once. It felt like I was constantly changing, like my mind and spirit were in constant flux trying to encompass and articulate the overwhelming rush of emotion and uncertainty which was overcoming me. It felt like a continuous process of becoming, where time was a filter through which different states of my being could pass through. I'm trying to be as objective as possible in this description, because nothing quite compares to the experience. It wasn't even that my being felt validated by another's regard; it was deeper, more transcendent than that. It was sublime but earthly, grounded and ascendant. Remember Keats' nightingale? Shelley's skylark? Darío's synthesis? I remember trying to write a dissertation on that and failing while in love. It was more wild, more savage and holy. The fallout was horrific, of course (it goes without saying; I'm here, aren't I?)

>this stupid man
insults me instead of giving an explanation

by deciding, consciously, what love means to you personally, then the whole feeling and therefore condition of love has been constructed, created or invented.

you cannot explain something based on what it is, you need a reason

though invention is not the same as construction

was anyone else not taken in by the 'love' meme. its inconceivable to me, affection is the most ive felt

You're in stoner's second stage

I appreciate your post, my man

>“In his extreme youth Stoner had thought of love as an absolute state of being to which, if one were lucky, one might find access

>someone thinks this is good literature

explain how it's not?

It's bloated and childish, can you not read it? If someone typed that on Veeky Forums they'd get bodied with shitposting.

>In his extreme youth Stoner had thought of love as an absolute state of being to which, if one were lucky, one might find access
>In his extreme youth
>extreme youth

nah dude that's childish bullshit who tf wants to read about that that's clearly childish.

>I'm writing about being a child so my writing must itself be high-school so-edgy-goth-tier diary writing

Ay you got me well done lad ;^)

Kys you arrogant shithead

Stoner is anything but bloated. Its a very understated, muted novel.

>Sadly, sadly, the sun rose; it rose upon no sadder sight than the man of good abilities and good emotions, incapable of their directed exercise, incapable of his own help and his own happiness, sensible of the blight on him, and resigning himself to let it eat him away.
fuck

I believe the term for the author's strategical choice of prose is 'firing for effect' in the US Navy

>nitpicks a single sentence from the middle of a whole novel

Like judging a symphony based on one measure in the second movement. Fuck off, pleb.