Mold?

Hey, Veeky Forums I'm in a bit of a pickle here.
A friend of mine brought me a package with some food in it from my homeland when he visited. Among other stuff, there was a chunk of what seems and smells like a smoked pork. However there are more than one small dot of green-ish mold on the surface. It smells amazing, but the mold is scaring me.
What should I do? Is there a way to safely eat it? Or should I just throw it away and be done with it?

Pic related, that's the meat.

Other urls found in this thread:

sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S0963996914007273
sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S094450131180073X
sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S016816050100472X
link.springer.com/article/10.1007/BF01837830
ingentaconnect.com/content/iafp/jfp/2003/00000066/00000011/art00023
en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dunning–Kruger_effect
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

closeup of the shit

Now I wouldn't normally hesitate and just have it in the trash, but the smell man, it's so beautiful.
I'm inclined towards throwing it away still, but maybe there is a way to save it somehow.

skin side btw

eat the inside

White mold is ok, green/blue mold is not. Brush off the bad mold with a cloth soaked in salt water and you should be good.

>debating eating moldy meat

What south american shit hole did you come from?

Don't fuck around with that shit, it is well past the point of no return. But if you want to cut out a piece that looks safe from the middle or something just to taste it you could probably find a small piece.

Do not make a meal out of this shit

>Is there a way to safely eat it?

Not really, no.

Ever see a dry aged ham? It's fluffy. Ever seen a hung steak? It's black and green. Just trim the mold away. Shouldn't eat the outside of heavily smoked meat anyway.

Yeah it's not exactly white.

So I cut it and it looks alright inside. I know that mold gets inside as well, but I think I managed to find even a good looking piece in the middle.
Couldn't stand the smell, it's absolutely delicious, so I ate one slice, let's see what happens

It's good btw

>White mold is ok, green/blue mold is not.
Don't listen to this guy.

Moulds are associated with curing of meats, for example that nice white powdery appearance on salt-cured meat is often mistaken for salt.

I'd be more concerned that this mystery meat was improperly stored and the mould is the result of too high humidity/moisture.

When in doubt, throw it out. Food is cheap for most of us. Otherwise, clean the outside of the meat and avoid eating that portion.

I'd toss the whole thing. Looks like there's mold all up in that meat. The shit on the surface is just the fruiting body; it shits out spores. Most of the mold is throughout the food as a network of fibres called hyphae, busily digesting the food and producing toxins to discourage other critters (such as yourself) from also digesting it. It's not guaranteed to make you sick -- not all mold produces toxins -- but better safe than sorry. Though, if you could tell us exactly what the food is, maybe it's supposed to be there? Though I doubt it.

It's a shame to lose a nice bit of pork, but has it right. It was probably stored improperly and is off.

>the result of too high humidity/moisture
That's gotta be it, becasue I live in Thailand and I have no idea where did they store the package all this way. They also brought some salami and salted fat and it's all in perfect condition though. Maybe paper the meat was rolled in was filthy or some other shit.
Anyway I tried it, and it's good, but not good enough to hedge out possible food poisoning. Threw it away, better safe than sorry.

you realize that mold and bacteria make cheese and charcuterie what they are, right?

Yes, which is why I stated:
>Moulds are associated with curing of meats, for example that nice white powdery appearance on salt-cured meat is often mistaken for salt.

Just because certain moulds and bacteria are associated with food preservation doesn't imply their appearance on your food is normal and not from spoilage.

You won't get food poisoning, you will be exposing yourself to mycotoxins that tend to have more insidious effects.

Without knowing what the product is, it's hard to say if this mould is part of its preservation or not.

Throwing it out was the best course of action; you probably wouldn't have enjoyed it psychologically anyway.

I disagree with you but the argument is pointless because he chucked it already. I have plenty of experience making charcuterie in a professional kitchen and would have had no problem eating it myself. Let's agree to disagree

Now you're making me regret my decision.
Fuck

Toxigenic moulds can spoil meat. Penicillium nalgiovense and P. brevicompactum may be fine in your salami, but Penicillium glabrum or P. verrucosum are not.

The production and storage of the meat is important. Traditional methods typically promote non-toxigenic moulds or non-pathogenic bacteria. Eating meat that is mouldy due to improper storage =/= charcuterie.

ok dude

Good stuff, user. Always nice to see educated people on this shithole Nepali tapestry website

This. My fucking sides.

Go eat a wall of multicolored fungus and come back unscathed

Its okay I'll wait

totally different, but ok

>this thread
IF THERE IS ANY MOLD VISIBLE, IT'S PRESENT THROUGHOUT THE FOOD, YOU CANNOT FUCKING CUT MOLD OUT OR "EAT AROUND IT" YOU DUMB NIGGERS, FUCK

smuggled meat. its illegal to smuggle meat through international borders unless vacuum packed. because foreign disease. destroy it. its the best thing to do.

I used to work at a hospital
There was a patient that ate spoiled pork and you dont want to end up like her. Throw it the fuuuuuuuuck away

w-what happened to her..?

It's fine. As other anons said, wipe it down, cut away exterior, eat. FFS We've survived for millennia eating a hell of a lot worse.

she got parasites in her brain. she became a zombie. She just walked around not knowing where she was. she also didnt feel full from eating so she ate and drank everything she got her hands on.
RIP maggot brains

>IF THERE IS ANY MOLD VISIBLE, IT'S PRESENT THROUGHOUT THE FOOD
Patently not true. At all. Mold grows on the surface. Yes, they have "roots" and porous shit like bread will have mold spores and toxins everywhere, but the same is not true of a smoked and cured piece of meat. Hell, it's not even true of cheese - even the blue kind.

>Mold grows on the surface.

No. that's just the "Fruiting" part of the mold that you can see. It's the part that spreads spores. The "body" of the mold--the mycelium--is always below the surface.

Doesn't matter if the substrate is porous or not.

>> will have mold spores
Spores only appear at the surface

>>and toxins everywhere
Maybe. Depends on the mold. Some produce harmful toxins. Most don't.

>the mycelium
Yes, the afore mentioned "roots". They're shallow.
>Spores only appear at the surface
Yes, and on porous shit like bread, everything is a surface.

Why are you pretending to contradict only to repeat what I just said?

It's not bad. It's just blooming from being aged.

>Yes, the afore mentioned "roots"

"roots" implies that it's some small subset of the mold. It's not. It's literally the body of the mold. The main thing.

>>everything is a surface
Exterior surface, fooio.

Well, its been longer than 8 hours.

Op, are you in a hospital or shitting yourself away?

Just throw it the fuck out OP.

>[OP IS DEAD]

F

Was she sexy?

I know you're shitposting, but in all actuality tapeworm larva can accidentally dig into your brain where they incase themselves in cysts and wait for you to be eaten.

However, this only happens if you eat the shit of an animal that has tape worm eggs in it.

Fucking yuropoors.

Absolutely disgusting.

How is this even a question, and why haven't you thrown that out yet?

I could understand if it was a loaf of bread and MAYBE had a single tiny spot of mold that you could easily cut away, but moldy meat? Sweet lord..

Try to obtain a passport in the US if they still permit free travel, and sample some cured sausage and ham products from various countries in europe. If your tastebuds haven't been entirely rotted by HFCS, you should be able to distinguish a higher level of flavor than hillshire farms "salami."

I have, and things like prosciutto don't usually come with a heaping side of mold, famalam.

In fact, one of my favorite meals was a 16-month-cured pork dish I had while living in France.

Why are you defending eating meat made moldy through unknown circumstances?

Obviously there are types made with particular types of mold, but op doesn't even know what it is, let alone if it should even have mold.

mold is pretty typical on aged meats and you generally just trim it off

i don't know about your thing in particular though

pic related is moldy aged steak

Yes they do. White mould is good and expected on the outside. It kills off bad bacteria. You would know this if you've ever cured your own meat.

On the other hand if this is simply cooked meat and not cured meat it needs to be thrown away asap.

lol talk to me after you've had a 24 month minimum cured pork dish. The flavor profile changes in unimaginable ways around the two year mark

Fucking americans

Yeah this post is most sensible. On the trip over if stored incorrectly the mould may have formed after the curing process rather than during.

>not solely eating 5+ year old pork

Fucking pleb.

>prosciutto don't usually come with a heaping side of mold
What it fuck is this then, you ignoramus?

>not achieving light speed and coming back home to find a perfectly cured 6,400,000 year old cut of pork just as you're starting to feel a bit hungry

bit far fetched kid

>

What makes meat mold so much worse than bread molds?

Just don't eat the mold. The mold is eating the meat because it's good right? Seriously it should be okay. Cured meat is hung for months and covered in mold before its scraped off and packaged. Trust your senses. Just don't eat the mold. Post results

Too late for that because the manchildren and americans made him throw that perfectly good piece of charcuterie out.

Read the thread after posting. What a shame

>Yes, the afore mentioned "roots". They're shallow.
What would make you think this?

You're not made out of grain.

Strange really. Wtf are amerifats doing? I simply don't get it. Please explain why you're stupid, amerifats.

Is op kill?

holy fucking kek! this made my day!

Tell me, would you eat any moldy item that showed up in the mail when you have no idea what it is or why it is moldy?

>Tell me, would you eat any moldy item that showed up in the mail when you have no idea what it is or why it is moldy?
This.

No one is disputing that moulds are involved in the preparation and preservation of certain foods, including cured meats.

Reminds me of a story where the lady ate expired meat and she didn't know. Also it grew flesh eating bacteria so it really fuck her up lost both legs and arms. Good luck eating it don't lose any limbs.

not shitposting , its true.

Put it this way is it sticky? Cut it in half and touch the inside if its sticky its icky also where did he get this from? Looks like a bad batch of ham shit thing bacon

Eeeeeeh...

I can understand cooking a piece of meat that is SLIGHTLY tinted green because it develops some flavor and is still harmless, but MOLD?

Besides, smoked meat should be much safer from Bacteria. If Mold managed to develop on Smoked Meat, I'd reckon it's unsafe as fuck.

I'm not an expert but I wouldn't take a bite, even on the parts that are the furthest away from the mold

Pork Mold is tasty man, scrape a bit off and pop some in your coffee tomorrow morning. Beautiful.

Please tell me more about how ignorant and utterly hygienist you are, USA.

>utterly hygienist
Oh please. Also

OBSESSED

I'm not sure about your smoked pork, but when smoked and dried sausage gets mold on it you just wipe it off with a vinegar soaked rag.

>Please tell me more about how ignorant and utterly hygienist you are, USA.
Eating spoiled foods with high levels of aflatoxins, among other mycotoxins, seems to really help Africans.

hygiene isn't bad. it's one of the better things to ever exist because it keeps you alive, and survival is what life is about

>spoiled foods
Do you mean food past the best before date?

>hygiene isn't bad
Of course, it isn't. Its close friends to keep us alive are knowledge and skills. However, hygienism is quite a different thing, my atheist friend.

>the bacteria/fungi species used for curing/cheesemaking are the only ones that exist

Wew

You're obviously psyching yourself up to eat this moldy meat so just fucking do it and tell us tomorrow if you're on a ventilator in a hospital or not

This fucking thread

>guys its ok, a few types of mould are used to make cured meats
>because those are safe, that means all other types of mould including that on op's mystery meat must be safe as well, right?
>everybody is a mycologist now itt

>what is environmental selective pressure of curing over microorganisms
>what is fermentation
>what is hygienism
>what is ignorance (hypocrisy, brutality, the elite... )

Eat that and you MIGHT get diarhoea.
Or GB, botulism etc.

actually all those people from a millennia ago are dead user

Sorry but nothing in your post is relevant. What do curing and fermentation have to do with the fact that there are myriad species of fungi/bacteria? Do you just like throwing out big fancy words in hopes that we will be impressed and yield? Where the fuck do you think you are, nigger?

t. utter spastic

>people existed millennia ago
Retard.

You're right, I'm not here to broaden people's mind.

Sorry 'bout dat

ugh

i'm praying this is bait

if you were smart you'd get what he was saying

He's right though. There are an estimated 1.5-5 millions species of fungi on earth. If you think that all species capable of colonizing meat are inherently agents of preservation, you are mistaken.

>meat
I thought it was bread holy shit

If you were smart you'd enjoy a mcchicken

Why don't you go down to your basement and spend a whole 5 minutes looking up fermentation then come back and tell me if you still think that.

You don't know if OP's meat product was kept in conditions that favored fermentation, and therefore microorganisms that are associated with these processes, or if it simply spoiled.

Just because a fungus grows on meat doesn't mean it is an agent of fermentation and preservation.

30s on Google Scholar yields papers showing the presence of toxigenic fungi as spoiling agents of meat:

Toxigenic penicillia spoiling frozen chicken nuggets
>sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S0963996914007273

Mycotoxin producing potential of some isolates of Aspergillus flavusand Eurotium groups from meat products
>sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S094450131180073X

Surface mycoflora of a Spanish fermented meat sausage and toxigenicity of Penicillium isolates
>sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S016816050100472X

Potential mycotoxin problems in mould-fermented sausage
>link.springer.com/article/10.1007/BF01837830

Genotoxicity Assessment of Five Tremorgenic Mycotoxins (Fumitremorgen B, Paxilline, Penitrem A, Verruculogen, and Verrucosidin) Produced by Molds Isolated from Fermented Meats
>ingentaconnect.com/content/iafp/jfp/2003/00000066/00000011/art00023

But no, if mould appears on meat it must be safe regardless of its phylogenetic status or the history and conditions of the meat, because "fermentation".

Moulds are used in the production of soy sauce, tempeh, sake, beer, bread etc. I guess all mouldy grains are edible because "they are fermented", according to your logic.

I don't think that by 'looking up fermentation' he meant finding evidence that molds are harmful.

There's nothing to be gained by looking up fermentation. You're also a dummy.

>nothing to be gained by looking up fermentation.

Yeah, god forbid you might gain knowledge. It might make someone throw a fedora meme at you.

Is op dead yet?

You seem to miss the point entirely: the presence of mould on meat does not indicate healthy fermentation. Fermentation requires specific taxa and more-or-less controlled conditions.

The papers that I linked to do not state "molds are harmful", they specifically indicate the presence of toxigenic moulds occurring on meats. Therefore, you cannot assume OP's mystery meat is safe and properly fermented because of the presence of what is probably 1+ Penicillium species.

This isn't hard to understand.

Enjoy this nugget of knowledge
en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dunning–Kruger_effect