Retarded tropes in fiction

retarded tropes in fiction

>Africa will be a technological superpower in the near future

Are you sure the topic isn't
>things that jeopardize OP's fragile sense of whiteness

Well the West is killing itself, Japan's population is dwindling, China and India are completely broken, and the Muslims who are going to be replacing most of the world are about as Luddite as you can possibly be. So Africa and South America are really the only places left.

Canada and New England are doing fine.

>canada
>doing fine

>canada under justin trudeau
>fine
Back to >>>/reddit/ with you

He may not be a good leader but Canada is so extremely irrelevant that he can't up it

Name 3 (three) works this appears in

Stand on Zanzibar
The Ear the Eye and the Arm
Ender's Shadow series

All genreshit but what do you expect, it's the future.

The Great Lakes region is to modern civilization what the Mediterranean region was to classical civilization tbqhwyf

Don't forget Poseidon's Children

It could happen if Africa is colonized by Chinese

Sounds fun.

I too hate this trope

It's been so long since I've seen someone say this sincerely idk how to feel

not lit, but its in marvel universe

africa will be a technological superpower once china gets done colonizing them after the west falls

only if they militarize to protect the fresh water reserves.

>>Africa will be a technological superpower in the near future
Problem?

>time travel
It's never been done right, it can never be done right. Cheap, plebeian bullshit. Even the authors' that bother to invent some hard rules for how it works manage to mess up the causality link.

Did you like Primer?

Where was this from?

This is fucking retarded. South America has been a broken continent from inception and Africa looks like a post apocaliptic dystopia.

I liked how VLR did it, with only consciousness shifting around. It's a little like how Slaughterhouse-5 handles it, but without the main character so easily resignig to his fate.

12 Monkeys
The movie works but the show is even better with it-- it's fucking wacky, but it's consistent and they've clearly planned everything and integrated it into the plot.

Not the same guy, but Primer is the only time travel story I've ever heard of which was successfully self consistent. I like Shane Carruth a lot. His stories are so complex and hard to follow, but still engaging. He's very technically proficient as well. I don't understand how someone can just come out of a career in STEM and start producing films at the highest level like that.

empire of dust

>fiction
>Literature in the form of prose, especially short stories and novels, that describes imaginary events and people.
OP: This is unbelievable, it is completely unrealistic.

even the wildest fiction needs plausibility.

a """strong""" wymyn of 1.50mt beating 2mt thugs with her bare hands (like all those hollywood flicks show) is more unrealistic than time travel, because of plausibility.

>It's more likely that we develop an entirely new system to explore the idea of time that exists in our head, and go back to the past or future, breaking all known laws of science in doing so, than it is possible a woman of 1.50 meters knows how to fight well enough to beat 2 meter sized thugs.

Its more possible we change the entire world with a reality shattering invention than a female navy seal is likely to be able to fight two tall people at once.

Wew

Ok
How would you rank the plausibility of the following:
Rebuilt Soviet Union
Faster-than-light travel
Superman flying
A land inhabited by magical elves
Alien invasion
Jackie Chan beating up 5 mooks with only a vase
Africa becoming a technological superpower

Low expectations on the part of the director? Maybe he didn't second guess himself because it was only a few grand on the line and nobody (he thought) was going to watch the film anyway.

Weird that you use a woman beating up two people in a film as your example of something implausible but not like any Bruce Lee movie ever

It's almost like yr sexist

get the fuck out of here and back to /pol/, if the things that bug you the most are fictional women being too strong and fictional africans being too smart

In all fairness they could have just been examples.

Just because hes stupid doesnt mean hes from pol

This is the worst non-shitpost thread I've seen on here in a while.
Tropes that drive me nuts in contemporary fiction:
>writer can't find a reason for a characters fucked up behavior
>I know, they just went through a divorce or their wife just died

They're just hedging their bets at that point. Do something other than say "People get shitty without their spouse." It's been used in fiction for centuries in some way or another, but the contemporary use is lazy.

>it's never been done right
That's because time travel is impossible. You can't do it "right".

Triggered

>novel is set in a dystopian world where the political and moral beliefs that the author is against rules the world and it shows how evil and bad the beliefs the author doesnt like really are

>novel set in a world dominated by beliefs author is against but fucks up and convinces everyone said beliefs are better

I enjoy fantasy, I enjoy sci-fi. Just because something is physically impossible it doesn't mean it cannot be written about and "done right".

>aliens (AYYY LMAO!)
>infinite technological progress
>totally homogeneous (le Space Federation of Space Progress) or dualist astropolitical layouts

this

Back to tumblr, black man

>all alien species are completely united, homogeneous societies with hundreds of star systems
This triggers me nearly as much as time travel.

i like how you express your triggered state with eloquency but dont address the plausibility issue, which is pretty valid. in fact anyone who wants to write decent fiction needs to acknowledge the fact that you can totally invent improbable machines, but you cant make the biologically weak stronger and the biologically dumb smarter.

will try it.

>Alternate history
>there are always fewer countries than before

I left my mobile browser open and was surprised this thread was still alive.

If your example was perhaps making a space ship that could reach mars in three days, or, cure cancer with cheap materials, or create a super food that has all the nutrients we need and also can taste like whatever we want, those would have been plausible.

But you are so fucking sperged out that you think time travel, which forces you to believe that time is linear and that you can go back and revisit times that already happened, even though time is the construct of our minds which helps us to understand change, is more likely a scenario than a woman beating up two people who are 2 meters like you said.

If you'd like to change your argument and say that its less likely for a woman to be stronger than a tall man you gain some ground, but not much. At least we are aware that it is possible to give a muscle girl steroids and testosterone, and that she could become stronger than some men. At least there's some basis in fact that women can become stronger than some men. Time travel warrants absoutely no evidence and it's basically science magic.

I'm not triggered. I don't care what happens to fictional Sally two dicks in the alley with the thugs. But the fact that you said triggered at all leads me to believe that you are some redpills fag and you actually consider your women aren't strong argument as relevant or important. If you do, you are terribly wrong and I'm sorry for you.

Fiction has absolutely no obligation to be realistic or plausible in any way. Suspension of disbelief is a meme issue.

>humanity invents interstellar travel around 100 years from now
>technology is frozen for the next 2000 years of space-history
Why, of all the genres, is space opera so unimaginative?

Fuck Mr Carruth then, because primer is like my favorite movie. I like it because I feel like its a movie I could have made, but never have envisioned, and it give the movie a verisimilitude most don't have.

fear.

Can you imagine a series of social trends, technologies, human development based on what you see today and mostly from scratch, and pack it all into a book, without glaring over one of the details?

The first masterful science fiction literature writer will be able to do that. It's an impossibly hard task.

The chinaman so so damn blunt I can't hold in any laughter when I watch it.

>starts correcting one of the few blacks who speak french and chink because he don't know his countries histories at the top of his head
>history meaning when roads were built

You can include an interesting trend without explaining absolutely everything about it, just like a character can have an arc without every moment of their life being described. If anything getting across a societal trend or a change in someone's character in a single book is part of the skill of writing.

As for sci fi which does explore that stuff look no further than Last And First Men and Star Maker. They were published in the 30s but their exploration of the arbitrary nature of progress, alien consciousness, and increasingly complex levels of cosmic consciousness blow away "the roman empire but with spaceships" and similar conceits which dominate modern space opera.

To any civilized, non-moral/cultural relativist, the Chinaman is entirely correct.

> Last And First Men and Star Maker

Olaf Stapledon is good but honestly when it comes to space opera I'd rather read about the Roman Empire with spaceships.

The video is quite nice because it makes sub saharan niggers look foolish, but nobody can bleat about racism because the Chinaman is a POC.