Post the best book from your nation

Post the best book from your nation.

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alastalon_salissa
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

Literally nothing good.

In Australia no one has time to write because of all the kangaroo invasions that the mainstream news don't report

>mfw eurocucks will never come close to the literary greatness of Moby Dick

mfw I live in Canada.

That's not even a good bait user.

Are you allowed to shoot them?

Iktf

name a better book than moby dick that isn't american

>America's best novel

>one giant allusion to dicks written by in the closet gaiboi

Goddammit America is the death of the West.

In Search of Lost Time, Don Quixote, TBK, Divine Comedy, and the list goes on. Do you enjoy making me answer? They have Shakespeare but I don't know if you can count them as books, but I guess I can just say Paradise Lost.

>he lists Veeky Forums memes

No. We chuck boomarangs and hope the sharp end gets them

You know how I know that God isn't real? He wouldn't waste his time making something as pathetic as you.

Great books that were praised long before Veeky Forums was created, and with good reason.
How's that a lit meme?

We're basing this off Goodreads reviews, right?

>they believe they're precious memes aren't memes

You probably have read very few Canadian books.

Lots of gems. It's just that Canadians ignore their own literary tradition. Not an accident either. Most older Canadian lit is written entirely by anglos

I liked Shantaram, which has Australian author

the best or not, I don't know, but its certainly one of my favorites

the posthumous memoirs of bras cubas - machado de assis

That's it, you can't even write properly. Kudos anyway, as I don't usually respond to these baits, but you've the skill to be as annoying and insufferable as possible.
Good job.

>Eric Walters

>Kudos anyway, as I don't usually respond to these baits

he says as he responds to most obvious bait in existence

He's right , when someone baits that hard you are supposed to tell him to eat shit in a funny way and move on, how long have you been using Veeky Forums anyway?

Probably this. I haven't read much else Scottish literature.

Patrick White won the Nobel Prize you dip...

>says this while posting the biggest meme authro

your g*d damn right

Oh yeah because the Nobel Prize is a great measure of quality that everyone should place great import in, like the Oscars or those golden gramophones

Set a thief to catch a thief.

>tfw german
You are asking an impossible task OP

>I haven't read much else Scottish literature.

read Ulysses. now,

rethink that one a bit buddy

That's Irish you dip.

joyce was born in scotland. ulysses is only written in irish

Does this count?

I think /pol/ would say it counts.

Faust: Zweiter Theil

Don't try and act stupid on purpose to make it look like you didn't think James Joyce was actually from Scotland

We all know you are retarded now

It wasn't written in one country though.

The Nation of Zion &c.

Eternal Jew brings his nation with him.

I'd have posted the Torah, but quite frankly it sucks.

Ignoring Iob and and the Apocalypse, the Torah contains the best parts of the bible

Its backwardness is not to my tastes, although I can see how it could be.

More to the point, it's much less influential, which is half of the dickswinging we do in these threads. Or should do, if we don't.

>More to the point, it's much less influential, which is half of the dickswinging we do in these threads. Or should do, if we don't.

I'm open honestly. Name some. Everything I've be recommended was not great.

I want this too

The only novels that are really in the same discussion as Moby Dick are Ulysses and Don Quixote.

assuming we don't include Kafka as an Austrian

This sure doesn't look like the Man Without Qualities

I like Bernhard, man. But no "The man Without Qualities?" You're just wrong...

Kafka was Czech you nerd.

But yeah, the weird thing about german lit is that a lot of great german lit is not from Germany. A lot is swiss, for example, like Max Frisch.

To start:

Sunshine Sketches of a Little Town

Autobiography of Red

Beautiful Losers

Fifth Business

This, Umbral or Altazor.

ya dingus

Check out Alasdair Gray if you get a chance. I enjoyed Lanark and Poor Things. I will eventually get to 1982, Janine but have a backlog and fund shortage at the moment.

Faust

Which one, user? This is important.

I'm sure he's talking about Goethe's

Yes, and that is made out of two books that were finished almost half a century apart from each other.

Chilean or Spanish?

Well, I take them as a single work user.

They are completely different in tone.

So if I chapter 1 of my book has a different tone from chapter 2 I have written two books?

Well, you could argue that the Illias and the Odyssee are the same book then. But no one seriously would, because are you really that silly?

Literally the only thing listed better than Moby-Dick is Paradise Lost.

It's a sign of a pseud if someone is trying to "rank" great works like that.

>g*d

>Scottish literature
>Ulysses

What are you even doing here? What a meme

A meme is born!

I'm a big fan of The Man Without Qualities, but I just think Extinction is more consistent. There are times when Musil is brilliant in TMWQ, but it also has low points. P;us I think Bernhard's writing in general is more indicative of the Austrian mind set.

I get the argument for TMQG though...

yeah but who considers him a czech writer

Why are Germans so shit at literature? Serious question.

I'm putting credit in this meme

There has more great German language literature than any other language. French is the only language that can compete.

Come on. The English language has the American, Canadian, English, and Irish literary traditions.

I'm using a copy of The Man Without Qualities to make one of my two computer screens a little higher by standing it on top of The Man Without Qualities

Should I read it?

I think "The Man Without Qualities" is a mediocre translation of the title

>yeah but who considers him a czech writer
I do, kinda.

Well, to some degree atleast. I think in his own mindset what he considered himself was in order:

1. jewish
2. german
3. Prague (so czech)
4. austrian maybe? I don't really know

But yeah, he was definately jewish if anything.

Like I mentioned above, the weird thing about "german" literature is that a lot of it is only german in language. So I have a hard time talking about "german literature", I just kinda lump together all of the literature that is written in the german language.

Not him, but quite frankly none of those have impressed me so far.

I would probably put Spanish above English too

>Canadian
oh wow buddy come on now

just finished dom casmurro so damm good starting bras cubas now.

>I would probably put Spanish above English too

>Shakespeare, Milton, Joyce, Faulkner, Nabokov, Woolf, Austen, Bronte, Melville, Bellow
No but seriously, come on.

If you sort literature by language you sort it by the language it was written in and not by where whoever wrote it resided.

Is Heart of Darkness Polish?

Is Portrait of the Artist Italian/ Swiss?

>I think "The Man Without Qualities" is a mediocre translation of the title

how else would you translate it?

You should definitely read it though. I've heard the original translation that is out of print is significantly better than the newer one published by Vintage. I read it in German though

This one maybe? idk

I have a German copy, that's why I think the translation is sort of mediocre

"Man Without Qualities" makes you assume he doesn't have any positive character traits if you use the common sense of the word quality and not the other one.

It's more "characteristics" I guess, the original title makes you assume he doesn't have any character traits whatsoever
That would make for a shit title but I still think "qualities" isn't very good because the word mainly has a positive ring to it, you can use it to just describe general traits but that wouldn't be what I think of first when I hear the word

The Man without Qualities is probably the best way to go over all but I'm not happy with it

Well, this thread asks for "nationality", so I was kinda forced into it. I find it silly, but that's the way it is now.

But to play devil's advocate, literary works are often very much influenced by its cultural surroundings. Kafka's works are very much jewish, even if they are not written in hebrew. But then again it will be difficult to group up any works like that because it will have to be different from one case to the next. But people just tend to do stuff like that. Like, how US-americans still look for the Great American Novel for some reason, or how Goethe intended his works to be the german national literature like Shakespeare was for England, etc.

ITT: transcended no even once

Canada has great books too. I just read Maria Chapdelaine last week and loved it.

Do you take Quixote part 1 and 2 as different works user? I totally understand if you do. Same for Faust. I just don't think about them the same way you do.

I never read Quixote in depth, so I am not really sure I am in a position to make a judgement like that. On top of that I am not that familiar with the publishing history of Cervantes. He did publish the two parts seperately from each other, right? (Twenty years, I think.) I mean, as opposed to writing one and only publishing it when having the second part finished.

I mean, if the first way is the case I find it very weird that the book is today just published as one, while Faust is always explicitely published as Erster Theil and Zweyter Theil in two seperate books (unless you buy some anthology version or something).

>Erster Theil and Zweyter Theil

Is that how they spell it in the English editions?
Fucking what?

No, that is how Goethe spelled it and how it is spelled in all the versions I own.

Don Quixote part 1 dates 1605. Part 2 1615.
Concerning Faust, I read it in Spanish and all editions I know off have both parts together.

Probably.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alastalon_salissa

Hipster choice I know, but man I love Spenser.

The Man Without Qualities is fucking insanely good, desu. It's one of those unique works of world literature. In terms of pure brainpower (which to be clear isn't everything) the only writer of fiction I know who matches him is Dante.

Is musil supposed to be difficult in his concepts? Like rilke? A lot of them aren't physical ideas but metaphysical/spiritual/mystical whatever you want to call it.

I'm reading his 5 women before man without qualities and I feel stupid at times having my eyes glazed over when I read some of his ideas.

This desu. A Quality has intrensic value, an "Eigenschaft" doesn't. I'm not an Anglo, so i can't come up with a better word than a characteristic. I'm just gonna be glad Dutch has the same word in "Eigenschap".

The man without qualities seems to imply the man who's good at nothing, while Der Man ohne eigenschaften seems to imply the man about whom nothing is special, who is unremarkable.

So i guess my major irritation is the slight, perceived difference in tone because of the words qualities. And that's why i'm gonna read the Dutch translation called "De man zonder eigenschappen".

Is that a French edition of a Dutch book or a Dutch edition by a publisher with a French name?

>In one famous scene, a character's journey to the mantelpiece to fetch a pipe is told in over seventy pages.

Is this guy the Finnish Woolf? Those Finnish winters must be awfully long.