When's the last time you had a good Italian sub sandwich that wasn't from a chain?

When's the last time you had a good Italian sub sandwich that wasn't from a chain?

Other urls found in this thread:

roadfood.com/restaurants/wethersfield-pizza-house/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

Last time I was at your mother's house

Forgot I wasn't on /b/ my bad OP. If you count primantis as a chain I'd say it's been 2 years. Definitely miss it

What's your favorite Italian sandwich? Suggestions too?

whenever I go back to MA or southern NH

haven't found many good sub shops in CT since I moved here

What make a sandwich Italian?

Few weeks ago, made some myself
I don't even know whats "italian sub" though

Primantis is shit

Ages ago at a small mom & pop deli I used to frequent in the Little Italy neighborhood of Chicago where I went to college. Fresh baked bread, meat and cheese sliced at the counter, home made giardiniera, wrapped up in butcher paper... The best.

I work at Capriotti's ama

considering how many locations they have, yeah I'd say they're a chain.

Whopjob

My girlfriend and i both grew up in northern nj, and I actually worked in an italian deli for a while, and 2 weeks ago recreated the sandwiches we grew up with. Was one of the best cooking "projects" i've done in a while.

cured meats
olive oil or a vinaigrette

Couple of years ago from Young's Pizza, one of the things I've missed since changing my diet. Might have one next month if I recover from my holiday binge.

Over thanksgiving went to a shop called Mazzantis in Bristol,PA. I still dream about that hoagie. Real quality meats on a sesame seed roll with sharp provolone. Can't wait to go back there.

Best subs I've had hands down were in NJ. There aren't any good sandwich places near me, so when I make an italian sub, i try to recreate what I had there.
>Crunchy but soft bread lightly toasted,
>coppa, prosciutto, finocchiona, some ham,
>white onion super thin, oregano, shredded lettuce, tomato
>aged provolone,
>Cherry peppers and/or hot muffulata
>on the bottom was a sun dried tomato spread.
Make it probably atleast twice a month for myself

Where in CT? If you have the misfortune of passing through Naugatuck, try Nardelli's

Hartford

I've tried a handful of places near where I live but nothing great so far

I got one at subway like half an hour ago. Chicken Teryaki with Avocado and extra jalepenos. Pretty good.

That's from a chain, though.

oh and with some southwest sauce

this fucking guy

Every weekend at A. Litteri in DC.

Couple times a week. I live in brooklyn so there's a good family deli pretty much wherever I find myself around lunch time.

Moe's?

I never get why is this shit called "italian" sub....

There are other things like "italian spices", "italian style pizza"...I mean...what the fuck?

I don't remember. The last couple of
>b-b-b-but ya gotta go to a mom and pop hole-in-the-wall joint!
places were just fucking shit.

Pretty sure no one in italy would consider this italian, faggot

Pretty sure noone actually gives a flying fuck about Italy or Italians

there's a couple veal sammich places near me i go to semi regularily

That's true of whitetrashland, yes.

KYS

Except all those Americans who tell everybody that they're Italian because their great great grandfathers dog walkers niece once watched Goodfellas.

Last decent one was about 6 months ago at the place in Reading Market that Obama went to. Last truly good one was 2 years ago at a random deli in Philly. I don't live in the States anymore so the best I can do nowadays is Subway.

Have you ever met those people or worse had to live near them. Thats all they have

In America, if a foodstuff has a nationality in its name it usually has absolutely nothing to do with that country.

Just explain me the point of calling dried thyme and rosemary with pepper flakes "italian spices"?

It's advertising. The maker of the spice mixture is explaining how it might be used. Consider it a shorter version of "a spice blend inspired by those used in Italy"

That applies to any country. Ever seen some of the "American" themed products sold in Europe or Asia?

Of course it can be named like that by company that make spices. I just saw loads of videos on youtube when the guys are like "now add italian spices/seasoning" without even explaining what it is....that's pretty stupid like we should all know what the fuck it is.
Also italians don't use red pepper flakes. They use peperoncino.

Never saw something with "american" in the name here...

I'm Scottish and was traveling in America two years ago with some friends. At a bar and some girl gives it the "OMG R U SCATISH?!?". She asks if I know anyone with the surname Johnstone (note if Scottish this is pronounced ston rather than stone). I say yes many, infact that guy over there, pointing at my friend. She runs over to him and screams about how they are related and shit and probably cousins. He informs her it's a very, very common Scottish surname and we all collectively facepalm.

Also when in New York I was wearing my Celtic top, a group of fatties waddle over to me and start spouting some shit about being Irish and try to talk to me about the IRA and then request a picture with me and comment we are probably related.

Don't get me wrong I met many great Americans during my travels but jesus some are thick as fuck. Was triggered by their terrible knowledge of geography and general ignorance, I swear some of them thought the UK was like a few thousand people.

Topkek

Where do you live? Every country I've been to besides Canada has some kind of "American" product thats simply a twist on a popular food with what they imagine Americans like (similar to teriyaki chicken here) or an actual American dish with the name changed or modified (corn dogs becoming American dogs or over emphasis on American origins for a BBQ sauce)

People post that shit all the time on this very board.

Slav - Czech republic...

I really never saw something "american" here...
We have english bacon, vienna sausages...but for instance we don't have something like "american cheese" which I saw in other countries....

Never saw it here.
We have few heinz products, but not "burger sauce" kek

Here's a perfect example. Corn on a pizza is very rare in the US, but here you see it on an "American" themed brand.

Well I am not saying that I know every single shit they have in a supermarket, but also this is not sold in Czech rep or I not saw it. I don't buy premade/frozen stuff.
Only thing is, we have action week in Lidl which is called "american"

In most supermarkets in the ready meals sections they have an American bit now. To go along with Indian, Chinese, Italian etc. It usually consists of Cajun, Creole, Tex-Mex stuff. Along with nachos, fried chicken etc

Yeah, we have something like frozen chineese veggies, nothing mexican tho.
Tesco sells stuff which is made specially for UK and it´s only improted in here. For instance jars with curry paste, english mustard...

that's totally wrong, americans are soft outside and crispy inside.

>white bread
>shredded lettuce
>cheap watery deli meat
>mealy tomatoes
>"oil"

Mama mia! That's probably the most pleb sandwich on earth

>Nardelli's
>mah nigga

but yeah, a good deli is harder and harder to find what with bullshit like subway snatching up resources. im in new haven so ive got my spots, took a while to find them, but trust me they are there.

Do am*ricans really eat this

'ometimes

Pretty much every time. There's a shit load of delis and independent sandwich places around here, and some of them have god tier Italian subs (not all of them, of course, because shit tier restaurants exist everywhere). There's plenty of chain places, too, but I never go to them, because they can't compete.

Same. Also why the fuck do they only have one sausage? I mean, it's easy to remember to just grab some Italian sausage, but you'd think they'd expand their range a bit. Same problem with Canadians and ham, they know they can make more than one type of bacon, right? Idiots.

go to frankin ave giant grinder

I get the best Italian sub every day from Subway.

The better question is what makes a good italian sub sandwich? The meat quality? the bun? How the vegetables are cut?

I've got a small deli that sells subs but they're worse than subway

every single time. the only time I have a bad one is from chains.

>tfw love those fuckers
>tfw live in Seattle with no real old Italian presence
>can't find them anywhere

FUCK

This. You won't find amazing bread but the rest of the sandwich is excellent.

is Vito's in New Haven any good? Usually when I drive down there, it's for pizza, but Vito's seems like it's worth a look.

There's a pretty rad deli/Italian import store down the road from me called Jimmy's that has a killer sandwich. Dallas isn't really known for our Italian food, but this place has tons of pasta, sauces, meats, wines and just about everything else straight from Italy. Pic related is like 8 bucks too.

The way you can tell is other countries bizarrely put corn on things and call it "American"

like pizza wtf

Would consume!

>very very common surname
Funny, I thought I'd be "baaahhhh"

Probably 2-3 months before my dad died. The restaurant he worked at had a great Italian sub.

there was a great local sandwich place in my crappy flyover town full of nothing but fast food chains but they were a bit expensive and located in a shitty part of town surrounded by poor niggers and went out of business ):

"The Champ"
My Hero
North Merrick, NY

Most Americans are Irish, Italian, or German because those were for about 200 years the primary influx of immigrants.
So yeah, every jackass says OIM OIRISH or LA ITALIANO but they're probably not that wrong

Best Italian answered up thread. Meat: mort, sopressata, etc., smoked provolone, lettuce, onions, tomato, homemade/delimade bread (sort of a like large baguette), oil vinaigrette or better yet giardiniera IMO. A good Italian will be a mouthful with oil running down your arm. (Yes, that statement open us up to ghey comments FTR, they're welcome, 2017, NTTAWT, etc.)

This is a local italian market called Tino's. It's hard to see in this image I found but the oil+vinegar based sauce they drizzle on the subs really makes them wonderful without getting too soggy.

I guess from Bay Cities? They're a market with a little attached sandwich deli in Santa Monica, here in LA. They sell a few different kinds of subs. I always get a bag of pepperoncini chips from a brand that's sold there and put it on the sandwich I get. It's delicious.

first post nails it again

>sub
>not hoagie

I miss the days when places typically gave meat like op but now we usually just get .

Wheres the layering of meats? Wheres the folding?

Wethersfield Pizza House, very near Hartford. Fucking huge sandwiches and good quality. Their chicken cutlet is their signature item though

Roadfood normie plz leave.

What's wrong with Roadfood?

It was the last time I was in west Florida, in the area north of Tampa. Truly a blessed region for food.

Its basically junk food reviews by illiterate rednecks.

" ... Yes, the name of the place is “Pizza House,” and the pizzas are alright if you like the bready Sicilian sort of crust that is frighteningly grease-free. But this place is on the good-eats map for sandwiches, available on rolls, as 8-inch “halves” (big enough to sate a very healthy appetite) or 16-inch “wholes” (I will shake the hand of any man or woman who polishes off one of these in a single sitting.) Chicken cutlets are the main attraction; they are grand the way only a natural cook can make them – each a gorgeous ribbon of meat and crust. They are piled into a sandwich four pieces high and topped either in the traditional veal-parm way (sauce and cheese) or American-style with lettuce, tomato, and mayonnaise."

roadfood.com/restaurants/wethersfield-pizza-house/

Doesn't sound like "junk food" or an "illiterate redneck" to me. It sounds like a thoughtful, articulate, well-considered review. Perhaps you are thinking of another site.

>roadfood
Oh look, another pizza review.
Flyover trash.

CT a shit.

Morons. Imbeciles. Broken half-people.

See? I, too, can toss around insults with no justification whatsoever! It's so easy!

never
chains are cheap, and there's no reason to spend $8 on a sub when I can make the same exact thing three times over for $8