That amazing part in an otherwise shitty novel

>That amazing part in an otherwise shitty novel
>That shitty part in an otherwise amazing novel

post em

if my life were a novel the shitty part would be this thread

I was so pissed when Slothrop started playing Pacman toward the end of Gravity's Rainbow.

Did we really need fifteen pages of the arcade machine's perspective on three of the novel's minor characters who had played at the same exact machine earlier in time?

And then another three pages of Slothrop coming to terms with his inevitable Game Over?

Goldstein's book

The trial scene in Bother's Karamazov where the prosecutor tediously reiterates what happened in previous chapters. The inquisitor scene too.

The detailed portrait of hell in The Portrait of an Artist as a Young Man.

The end of Steppenwulf was pretty great to read, can't say I liked the nihilistic tone of the rest of it.

It wasn't quite so abrupt, but "The towers of trebizond" started out with a fairly boring story that I suspect would only be really interesting to English contemporaries, but eventually started peppering in insights to religion and faith, and led up to the single funniest chapter I've ever read in a book before finally culminating in an extremely honest, sad, and (tragically) beautiful ending.

Also I hated the first half of "dead souls", until gogol elbows you in the ribs and says "this character is rather shit, huh?" and then everything takes on real meaning and becomes super interesting.

The end of Heart of Darkness, "The horror". And the rest of it too
>chills

But the first 80%ish of the book was stupid and boring to me

The seabird girl and the Hell sermon are the only redeeming sections of 'Portrait'.

The opening scene in the schoolroom of Hard Times is pretty good, showcasing Dickens' excellent skill at characterisation. It goes rapidly, rapidly downhill after that.

The middle of Wuthering Heights where Heathcliff tricks Cathy into marrying Linton. I mean wtf? How ridiculously contrived was that?

>Mrs. Dalloway
the actual dinner party that the entirety of the book leads up to as the only semblance of plot. p boring imo.

>Slaughterhouse 5
When the Americans run the horse drawn carriage too hard and the horse's hooves crack and they bleed from the mouths but the Americans weep at this realization.

Also when dude was watching the WW2 documentary on TV in reverse

Literally the only two things I liked in that book

>when dude was watching the WW2 documentary on TV in reverse
Really? I probably liked the book on the whole more than you, but that was one of the more eyeroll-inducing sections for me. Like one of those poems that reads differently when you read it upside down.

Good post. Great, perhaps.

>It's a Marathe and Steeply sitting on a hill chapter

I think you may actually be a turbo pleb.

7/10, I'm actually pretty triggered. You disgusting philistine

Final chapter of Stoner made it - if it wasn't so well written the whole thing would have been a waste of time.

Strange. I liked it all except thr the end.

>The hunger part of On The Road
>Pre-Lolita Lolita
>Anytime Oblomov is in bed
>The rant to the prostitute in Notes from the Underground
>When the forest army takes Zhivago and he wanders back
>Sirens and Penelope from Ulysses

All of the whaling chapters in Moby Dick

>The inquisitor scene too.

>Moby Dick
>an otherwise shitty novel

kek