Argentine Authors/Writers

Let's discuss Spanish-language writers representing Argentina.
Foremost, this man. What are your thoughts on his non-fiction?

Other urls found in this thread:

www76.zippyshare.com/v/npt7WaLT/file.html
sites.google.com/site/thebooksofsand/the-short-stories-of-jorge-luis-borges-the-giovanni-translations
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

What's commonly available is a motley collection of criticism that are more useful as appendages to less abstruse work. Much of the brilliance that informs his stories tends to be absent in his nonfiction. He knew that in writing for periodicals he had to lower the quality of his composition. Unfortunately he did not revise or otherwise improve on them. Humor and satire is expanded on where it is not needed, especially for that Homer essay where he recommends all the translations commonly read in his time, which is an essentially true suggestion, but due to his cheeky manner in relating it, failed to attractively lay the path of reasoning why this is so. Thus it can be inferred he did not find that having universal appeal would be necessary in his nonfiction, being merely a way to support himself to further his studies, stories, and above all, his poetry, as he has related in biographical material.

Overall his nonfiction was quite competent, and he remains a model as a critic, but his essays tended to lack the clarity that would have cemented them as permanent fixtures to complement his stories.

Casares and Ocampo were disappointing to finally read. I had higher expectations, but I won't put Argentina out of the count in the near future.

Yes, aside from Morel most everything I've read from them suggests that they're that kind of unexceptional writer that gives little thought and gets forgotten as soon as they pass away, only periodically remembered by their association with Borges and people's taste for more obscure cultural artifacts.

Creo que nunca leí ninguno de sus ensayos. Escucharlo en entrevistas está de más.

Tendría que leer más de Argentina. Leí a Sábato, Borges y Martín Fierro. ¿Con que sigo?

>inb4 Bioy

Probably Cortazar?

Yo te recomendaría a Ricardo Piglia. Tiene mucha variedad pero pienso que su mejor obra es La ciudad ausente. Vale mucho la pena.

...si te referías a obra contextual para aproximarse a Argentina también está Macedonio Fernández. Piglia es más contemporáneo.

Alberto Laiseca

Rayuela changed the way I see literature. Bear in mind, I was 17 at the time I read it.

But I've just read it a second time and I still feel it's groundbreaking. A masterpiece in my opinion. There's just so many layers of depth to it. It's mind-boggling.

And it's still a blast to read. It's great fun and it'll open your mind as a reader (and as a writer).

Cortázar es un pedante.

Arlt o Lugones.

Literalmente "Veeky Forums el libro".

This just got translated into English and I'm enjoying it a lot so far.

Anyone read Alfonsina Storni? Whatcha think of her?

Who else here loves Borges poems?

Where can I find the original Borges translations he did with di Giovanni before his estate fucked him over?

pdfs:
>www76.zippyshare.com/v/npt7WaLT/file.html
ebook (stories only):
>sites.google.com/site/thebooksofsand/the-short-stories-of-jorge-luis-borges-the-giovanni-translations

Thanks, you're a pal.

I do. This is beautiful.

La lluvia.

Bruscamente la tarde se ha aclarado
Porque ya cae la lluvia minuciosa.
Cae o cayó. La lluvia es una cosa
Que sin duda sucede en el pasado.

Quien la oye caer ha recobrado
El tiempo en que la suerte venturosa
Le reveló una flor llamada rosa
Y el curioso color del colorado.

Esta lluvia que ciega los cristales
Alegrará en perdidos arrabales
Las negras uvas de una parra en cierto

Patio que ya no existe. La mojada
Tarde me trae la voz, la voz deseada,
De mi padre que vuelve y que no ha muerto.

A R L T
R
L
T

>no one has mentioned facundo - civilizacion y barbarie yet
Even if his scientific basis has been disproved, a lot of the analisis he does and some of his thesis are incredibly good, the opening paragraph is also the best piece of writting in the history of this shitty country.

I'm afraid I was too young when I read this. I think 18. I should re-read it soon. What can you comment on this, user?

you guys should check out Juan Jose Saer.

facundo, cosas de arlt y el matadero.

I was pretty underwhelmed by Borges non-fiction stuff. It was the short of airy musings you'd read in a middle-brow magazine. He was creative, but not a deep thinker.

>argentina
>white

Most were written for mid brow magazines even.

Fun fact, there is a book, compiled from the memoirs of bioy casares, about borges in his intimacy, borges was pretty much a shitposting user born before his time, most of the stuff he did was having fun and write about mirrors, dreams and nigger knife fighting.

The ammount of dick jokes he made per day was incredible,.

He did dick jokes even as s grown man?

La señora Pérez y sus hijas
anuncian al publico y al clero
que abrieron un taller de chupar pijas
En la calle Santiago del Estero

Miss perez and her daughters
announce to the public and the clergy
that they have opened a cock sucking class
on the santiago del estero street
(in spanish it rhymes perfectly)

filloy, aunque no leí en espanol

Another one
Varado en las cinco esquinas
con toda mi complacencia
por ver si te rompo el culo
voy haciendo diligencias

fuck off, this is not Borges

It is, i can even give you an online copy of the book.

Puto MADMAN