Why the fuck does he like reading so much?

Why the fuck does he like reading so much?

He talks about it like reading great writers is the most awe-inspiring experience in life, but I don't really get that at all. When I read Shakespeare or Don Quixote, I'm just like, "Yeah this is prety cool" but I don't see why he thinks they're so amazing. He doesn't explain himself in interviews very well. Does he talk about this better in his books?

>awe-inspiring experience in life

It is

Bloom is right. I think you belong back on /mu/, friend.

Well how do I know he's right? I'm honestly ready to learn how to appreciate books better. English class in school was a joke, so I didn't really have a chance to appreciate it by education.

To read a good book is to have a transcendent experience, because you are communing with another great mind, thereby becoming more than yourself. The fact this mind could be hundreds of years dead makes the act more profound, akin to an act of resurrection.

Without reading Bloom, I would speculate this is the appeal.

Once you can start to appreciate the intricacies of novel writing or poetry and the thought that goes into the good stuff, the accurate pschologies, the well structured plot, well integrated themes and of course good prose and style to tie it together you can't help but be in awe at the people who do it so easily and so magnificently.

That's... that's really sad. I'm sorry you feel that way.

I want to like you CS, I really do, but this post is too pretentious.

Filtered, sorry.

user, there is something called autism. Passion as well, sure, but being that passionate does not just come from culture.

He almost fetishizes literature, and there is nothing wrong with that. Some are obsessed with music, some are obsessed with paintings. There are always THOSE people who really get off on this kind of stuff.

However, if your reaction is "Yeah this is pretty cool" you need to get educated a bit more. Grand literature is more than just "cool" like your new favorite vaporwave album, it's intellectually and spiritually uplifting. You are provided new perspectives and mental horizons and your sense of self and sense of the universe gets expanded upon. It's not very well described in words because it's that sort of abstract state of mind, where you have gained a level so to speak, and that previously you realize you were thinking slightly less broadly than before.

because it sublimates our existence and rescues us from the void. like all legitimate art.

*cringe*

oh boy, filtered

>When I read Shakespeare or Don Quixote, I'm just like, "Yeah this is prety cool" but I don't see why he thinks they're so amazing.
Just get a buttplug and drop the whole literature thing bro.

Everyone have a form of media that will be more suited to their taste, some will appreciate music, movies or painting more, but when it comes to literature you should keep these things in mind:
>the plot isn't the main focus
mos tof the time its how the plot is tructured, how it is told, sometimes the plot is ignored in favor to others elements like:
>lyricism, prose, ideas, characterization, etc

So if you read Dom Quixote and only care about the "adventure" aspect of the book you will lose a lot of what makes it interesting, its about the delusion and insanity of a man, the complicity of his friend, the way the world see him and treats him, so you can interpret most of the "funny" moments as being actually cruel or sad, depending on your interpretation, also its a story that tells other stories within itself, doing all those thing while keep a coherent story line and characterization, making this book so complet ein its own diversity. Of course there is more but is just to show that plot is a minor aspect when it comes to great books

Think like this, literature can never be passive, you need to pay attetion and think criticaly about what is happening, and about what the author is saying (and how he/she is saying it). Movies and music can be enjoyed even by a passive consumer, and will offer a lot more to a active one, but literature NEEDS to be approached in an active way

No one can explain literature to you. You're an idiot.

When everyone's a pretender how else can you get to know people, so many people on an abyss deep level?

sorry for all the spelling mistakes, it shows that english isn't my main language

This. Bloom is a weirdo and a bit in the spectrum but I agree with him in the importance of literature and how its one of the best hobbies/endeavours one can undertake. As long as you dont keep your stack of Cormac McCarthy books next to your lube (like.Bloom) you should be fine

I'm curious. How would you explain it to OP? What makes you cringe about user's answer?

>As long as you dont keep your stack of Cormac McCarthy books next to your lube (like.Bloom) you should be fine
top kek

but he's not user, he's that faggot trip "CS"[filtered]

Good posts

You aren't good enough at reading to understand the books you're reading.

Well, yeah, good answer. What does that change?

Because he doesn't have an actual life. What's more interesting: living out a story or reading about it and pretending it happened. Not hard friends. Reading is for losers. Simple as that

How do I get better at reading?

By reading and reading secondary literature

Is it worth going fully recluse and just focus 100% on reading? Seemed to work for Bloom, he seems quite happy, despite being a bit of an outcast a lot of his life. I'm ready to give up all social life at this point.

I'm doing this right now. It's a mixed bag. But then I'm insanely introverted so I might be able to temper the hermit life better than you can -- I don't know you.

by not reading and playing video games

Do you like people at all? Have you ever liked them at a point in your life? If so, no. And even not, no. Books follow life, not the other way around. Anyone can be an academic about books like Bloom to an extent. To get the understanding of the great authors like you seek, you need to learn empathy, and you don't get that through reading (but you must read to gain it nonetheless imo)

I had the reading hermit idea when I was 19. I am so glad I grew up since then.

I'm
And I'd largely agree with you. Going full hermit does have its uses and can be extremely fulfilling, but in the end you need to move back into those larger currents of life. If I were to be objective here I'd say that I probably took to this because of my anxiety first and foremost - not merely through a love of books - and now I'd like to slowly start finding those larger waters again in time.

>you need to learn empathy, and you don't get that through reading

You couldn't be more wrong here though. You can cultivate vast amounts of empathy and perception through reading. It is no substitute to life, obviously, but to say that you "don't get" it through reading is simply wrong.

What I meant is that you don't JUST get it through reading, kinda like how you often don't JUST get it through life.

But to be fair most people here read pomo wacko stuff and none of that has real empathy built in. Maybe Tolstoy or Shakespeare or Faulkner would build some.

>be 5-6
>go to library and start reading Crane and Blake
Seriously, was it fate or what? What would have happened if a librarian gave him a genre book first?

>What would have happened if a librarian gave him a genre book first?

It would've been what actually happened to him.

Samefag
Yes, he critiques things in greater detail in his books. He wants you to buy them. He is Jewish.

You may purchase them using money (reinforcing my projection of your developing neurosyphillis, yet enfranchised by the fact that you unironically describe Shakespeare as "cool") or you may torrent them.

Actually this post is correct and I will not filter you like those other dweebs.

I really doubt he's autistic to any degree

I love this picture

It's the reaction he'd give if he was readin the book in front of him and then you asked him if it could lend itself to a good postcolonial deconstruction

Ah yes, a nice feminist psychoanalysis, as it were.

I never read much as a kid and whenever I read now it take about half an hour to an hour to read a 10 page chapter. Does it get faster if I read more? Did I fuck up?

Much faster. Takes a few books. At first I was reading 20 pages a day. Within a few months I could comfortably do 100 a day before getting restless

>i don't have passion

The post.

>He has never immanentized the eschaton, ascending to the type 5 civilization that created his simulated reality only to return and slay mad pussy by turning water into wine and cool shit like that while maintaining perfect awareness of the nature of things. What a cuck!

There's nothing cringey about this post, the tripfag is right

Pathetic samefag

>defended something I don't agree with so it must be the same person
Brilliant

I have a lot of passion when I listen to music, or am really getting into a good video game. I just don't get much from books.