Anyone else really excited for Alan Moore's Jerusalem...

Anyone else really excited for Alan Moore's Jerusalem? I was a huge fan of Voice of the Fire and I can't wait for the new work. Very Ian Sinclair.

Other urls found in this thread:

theguardian.com/books/2016/jul/21/alan-moore-uses-nine-year-olds-fan-letter-on-new-books-cover
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

Hope it's good, but from what I've read about it, I'm expecting an overwrought chore.

Do you think that in the sense that it's going to be unnecessarily dense or that it's going to go on more than it needs to in a pretentious way?

I don't discount your opinion, Moore is known to ramble but I feel like the years of build up have edited it down to the good bits.

>I'm expecting an overwrought chore
this
>it's going to be unnecessarily dense or that it's going to go on more than it needs to in a pretentious way
and this

Moore is primarily a comic author, a medium where saccharine and ostentation are embraced and although I've never read his novels I have my doubts that he'll break away from his usual shock and psychological turbulence. He set out to write a tome, and that alone makes me feel as though it will be overwrought. I'm sure his reddit audience will love it, I would doubt that it's aimed at us, I'm sure it will be critically successful and hailed as a classic "from the genius behind Watchmen"

As far as artistic merit, I hope to be pleasantly surprised.

"From the genius behind Watchmen"

It's funny how the wrong kind of success can dog a man like the worst failure.

If it makes you feel any better, it seems two or three hundred pages got cut somewhere towards the end

They were hyping it as a lot bigger than it actually is so hopefully there was some good editing

I think I'll read it, it at least sounds interesting. Also reviews seem to be good, who knows who's reviewing it though.

the fact that he did the cover art thinking that it was good leads me to question the book itself.

To be honest, if my art skills were even rudimentary I'd do my own covers and illustrations to the best of my ability.

It reminds me of the handmade medieval illuminated manuscripts with lovingly rendered figures in wonky naive perspective and geometrically intricate painstaking calligraphy.

I mean, if you can draw your own pictures why shouldn't you?

The thing is, he CAN draw/paint way better than that, there must be a reason for the weird style.

ya it just seems so off to me. It definitely seems like the most interesting book release in a long time though.

ITT: total conjecture

ITT: total judging of book by cover

Literary event of the year, not even kidding

>I mean, if you can draw your own pictures why shouldn't you?

Because people do judge books by the cover and if you're not Alan Moore, it's going to hurt financially.

>people
"plebs" user. shame shame.

moore will probably pull off a hit. he knows a 1k+ pp book will never be a movie or comic, so he has no choice but to go hard on the writing. we know he is creative and imaginative at a genius level. this book will either make or break him as an overall artistic prodigy.

yall know there is a story to the jacket? theguardian.com/books/2016/jul/21/alan-moore-uses-nine-year-olds-fan-letter-on-new-books-cover

If you're writing for other people you won't write the book you want to write anyway.

Your priorities are funny to me.

You have never read comics, specially not any Alan Moore one.

Go read From Hell or his novel, Voice of the Fire

The thing about the cover is that it isn't exactly poorly drawn - it is very basic, but not poorly drawn.

It's just that he must have smoked too much dank weed 420 blaze it and went about fiddling with his kids (one of them is a colourist, I think) software and gave it a piss poor finishing job.

Also, while that picture you posted is, indeed, good, it's a collage (or at least it seems so)

I don't think he coloured it himself. It looks a bit too much like what Avatar colourists do, might be one of them.

I wouldn't know because I legit don't care about Avatar. Any of their stuff good?

The current Providence series is great.

The question is:
Is there more fish rape? That was a rather uncomfortable boner

Not exactly, but... there's mind-switch rape. Dammit Morrison was right

Crossed+100 is also great (Moore did the first few issues)

OOOOOOOOOOH SHIT, it's the dude who switches to his own daughters body to fuck him? I remember reading about that.

Holy shit Alan, calm down.

Yes, that's the one. People have been saying that Providence justifies Neonomicon in retrospect, but I haven't read the latter.

I just realized how ingeniously fucked up that perspective is.

Things like this are why I occasionally visit /co/

It's the novels plot illustrated he really cares about this book so he did himself. I get why people don't like it I think it suits what he's going for.

wait what, /co/ isn't just little kiddies jacking it to capeshit now?

Well, yeah, you're not a writer any more than you're an illustrator, so it doesn't really matter what you do.

No cover artist wants to depict Northampton.

/co/ was always manchildren and capeshit for the most part.

>will never be a movie
He famously gets paid nothing for the movie adaptations because he hates them.

Weirdly I saw an interview with Stephen Fry recently where almost in the same breath he talks about playing a role in that shitty V for Vendetta adaptation and as a separate issue talks about the recent fashion for comic book movies being mass infantilisation. The guy is incredibly unselfaware and the interviewer didn't think to pull him up on it. I only really mention it since it's tangentially related and really annoyed me.

>mass infantilisation

It is, but Moore's still written the best capeshit and he's been trolling them for two decades.

The wrong kind of success is just another kind of failure.

>went about fiddling with his kids
Was that bracket placement intentional?