Whats the weirdest shit you've seen wrote by the previous owner of a used book you've purchased?

Whats the weirdest shit you've seen wrote by the previous owner of a used book you've purchased?

>writing in a book

absolutely disgusting; positively satanic, bleugh!

I once found an old paperback copy of the Last Days of Socrates where someone had underlined EVERY SINGLE LINE. and not just in the text either, they'd underlined every line of the pages about Also Available In Penguin Classics too.

That's hilarious I'm gonna start doing this in bookstores to old philosophy books.

angryfrog.jpg

>'Jenny'
>'taxi'

So she wasn't actually named Jenny and they weren't in a taxi?

By 'Jenny', he probably meant 'John'.

By 'taxi', he probably meant 'bathhouse'.

I once picked up a very nice copy of Faust. I had been looking for one like it for a while, a rather old print. Years earlier I gifted a similar one to my then girlfriend as we had an injoke about her being my Gretchen with my friend who coupled as being Mephisto. Very sappy in retrospect, but the book was pretty nontheless and I would have bought it for myself if not for her.
At home my own handwriting mocked me.

>Years earlier I gifted a similar one to my then girlfriend as we had an injoke about her being my Gretchen with my friend who coupled as being Mephisto.

So she killed the kid and you got dragged away to do some world-building?

She cheated and my friend drags me (the academic) to weird places around the world on his self declared mission to "teach me how to live". Close enough for my taste.

A used copy of Enders Game that I got from my older sister had the words "oral exam" on page 17 changed into "oral sex" using pen and whiteout

I once came across a copy of Ulysses that had the most banal contemporary slang, "epic mind fuck!!!!" With arrows pointing to the quote on the page.

I couldn't tell if it was real or some deep satire and it was all over the first 60 pages then stopped

>first 60 pages
Yeah that was real.

"Happy birthday user, love mom."
This has always been very weird to me, as I don't know how someone who "loves" me could ever have forced me to go to a legal torture camp for teenagers after suspecting I was gay for doing figure drawings of men.

Haha, sorry for the wacky overshare :P

fucking hell m8

faggot

this thread is shit, janitors plz

Let me tell you how I know you is a black nigga.

In one of my personal finance books, the author asked the reader to set their financial goals. The previous owner of the book wrote 3 goals down that were nearly word for word what I would have written.

Freaked me fuck out.

my sides

What did they do to try to convert you?

I found a copy of Prolegomena to Any Future Metaphysics by Kant in a local Goodwill. I probably wont open it for awhile but I noticed the person really went to town on the notes. There's loose leaf folded between pages. I'm pretty excited to dive in after I've read the appropriate pre-reqs.

When I used to buy a used book, I would be a psued and flip through to make sure it wasn't marked up. Now I choose the ones that are the most marked up. Also, I know realize that my notes are valuable not just to myself but to others.

It’s because she loves you that she was worried about you.

I purchased a book on the history of ancient Greece from a small, local bookstore. It had two notes: one was written on the inside (hardcover), reading, 'To Dad, With love and affection, your son and daughter, Jack (?) & Jill - Xmas 1967"

The second had been a handwritten note by a child to his grandfather. I don't know where I placed it, but he talked about how he was going to start baseball again, and he was thanking his grandfather for a present - I think a baseball mitt, or some shoes - he had given him for his birthday. The date was around 1920-1930.

It's crazy to think that books have survived so long and are so timeless.

I bought a copy of "Gay New York: Gender, Urban Culture, and the Making of the Gay Male World, 1890-1940" and it had a Milwaukke gender studies professor's business card taped in the front cover. The book was inscribed by George Chauncey (the author) to the professor and said something along the lines of "To X, who is making great strides in a brave field."

I looked up the professor and they're still alive which makes me feel really bad about them giving away this book that was personally inscribed to them.

To be fair most scholars acquire unmanageably huge libraries over the years and may need to do the occasional merciless cleanout when they move from one place to another.

what were they?

In an old copy of As I Lay Dying I found a pink post-it, which read(directly translated):

"I like to game with you but do you know what's even more fun? The bed!"

You suck cock in private, mate.

>nice discussion, let's talk about my sexuality instead
Fuck you, faggot

In a book of Milton's writings/poetry.

"A glass shit sweater, I CAN'T WRITE ANYMORE, IT'S ALL VERY ABSURD, I CAN'T THINK, BECAUSE I NEVER LEARNED TOO, IMAGINE TAKING LESSONS, TO THINK, HA HA HA, WHAT DID YOU DO THAT FOR?"

a post-it with some guys name, what i assume is a phone number, and a gmail-adress, in a book that was supposedly new that i bought from amazon

>someone had underlined EVERY SINGLE LINE. and not just in the text either, they'd underlined every line of the pages about
happened to me, but it was Dostoyeveski Demons

underrated post

This is your chance, user
Go get the Veeky Forums bf you've always wanted

I wrote in the back of my copy of Candide "I will kill myself after I donate this book to Goodwill" and then gave it to Goodwill

Devilish.

You seem excedingly outraged at something. What is it?

Voltaire would approve

Faggots mostly. Like I don't mind them in theory, but I don't understand why they require constant attention and demand that every conversation they participate in somehow makes note of their sexuality. Must be some side effect of their father issues or whatever

I bought a copy of Borges's Labyrinths that was given to the previous owner as a high school graduation gift dated 2007. Not that weird, but fuck that guy for giving such a cool gift away to a thrift store (assuming he didn't die).

Is this weird?

"May the work that you love be the play that you love"? Am I reading that right?

I think it's "work that you have"

You sound emotionally unhealthy.

Picked up one of Robert Fisk's books from a second hand book store,

It was signed.

I once gave someone a copy of 'Catcher in the Rye' in which I had highlighted every instance of the word phony

Rate

best so far

pic related was in the first thread like this here

Did you succeed?

I've written a lot of cheeky notes in various books over the years, many of them library books

(I'm not one for underlining or annotating library books. Such persons are assholes. My preference is for terse, singular notes, like "Note to the reader: It is best to write in library books using pencil" but written, of course, in pen.

Found in the back of my copy of Nabokov's Pnin. Not a particularly romantic novel.

>'To Dad, With love and affection, your son and daughter, Jack (?) & Jill - Xmas 1967"
These kind of gift notes always make me feel a little bit sad, especially if its a recent note and I got the book second-hand, which means the receiver of the gift just threw it away

Gonna start writing /pol/ tier ramblings in books that I donate now.

Thanks for the inspirations guys.

i don't want a fucking nerd bf kek

That's such a beautiful and lovely note though.

I did that but with the Last Days of Socrates

1967 is a very aesthetic date tbqh

A very beautiful man with a very synthetic but well-working hheart once proposed to me for reasons still unknown

is that what it says? I'm really bad at deciphering handwriting

Or maybe the owner died, and the books were donated, or sold in his/her absence. In that example, 1967 was 49 years ago.

When i was in primary school, I would often see penises drawn in dr suess books.

Often attached to the characters, or quite simply floating in mid air

Still makes me lol to this day

my friend´s history professor had rented a second apartment just for all of her books. like a private library

suggest they buy a kindle

he was a dad in 1967, you best bet is that he´s already dead

>history professor
i really doubt all her obscure and old as shit stuff is available for kindle

>the stranger
dafuk? :D

I found a photo of an old couple in the purple P&V translation of Anna Karenina.

once i got a copy of Lucky Jim out from the library and when i opened it a letter asking 'x' to confirm her abortion fell out

it had her address and everything

Good short story, you should get it published.

"At least I'm not this asshole - Rob" on a sticky note in The Expelled by Beckett with "I set off" to "not the same one" highlighted.

lmfao

classic Rob

Most of my books have 5+ blank pages at the back for notes.

Kek

You're awful

This was on the inside of the cover of a 1964 paperback version of Pynchon's V.

HEH

What do you make of it, user?
I wanted to post some allusion relating it to the book's content but I couldn't come up with something smart.

I once found a giant coffee stain with the words "shit, sorry" writen under it

heh

why can't I stop laughing?

I unironically agree with this

i enjoy this from my leaves of grass
it's just cute

That's brilliant lel

n1, i guess

I bought the complete collections of plato and someone took the time to go to every work in the book and write down a precise summary of everything in that work on a sticky note so whatever work I didn't want to read I had a few sticky notes that explained everything in short concise detail. Its weird because it probably took this person a good month to get through every work and summarize them.

Someone wrote a poem in the back of a copy of The Winter's Tale I found in a charity shop.

My Feeling

It's a very peculiar feeling
It hurts but yet it's nice
I'm floating to the ceiling
And yet I'm cold as ice

My heart aches cause I miss him
Oh to hold his hand
I feel so good when near him
But no one could understand

The excitement going through me
Each time I see his face
It's like playing cards and winning
Each time turning up an ace.

Also, a drawing of a man wearing a fez in a copy of Naked Lunch with a joke. How do you make a Venetian blind? Throw soap in his eyes.

>Also, a drawing of a man wearing a fez in a copy of Naked Lunch with a joke. How do you make a Venetian blind? Throw soap in his eyes.
I feel the metre really geta lost in this verse.

made me laugh

Opened up to the first page and some dude had written the author's name all fancy. that's some weird tick or obsession idk.

Found a copy of Beowulf translated by Heany that had a cartoonish doodle. Each doodle was relevant to the page it was drawn on.

nice quad dubs

>tfw I have a huge box of books for goodwill and now will literally copy /pol/ posts about Moloch worship into the margins. As a joke.

PRAY THE GAY AWAY

what a shitty poem

Near the end of a book on Rimbaud a buthurt Christfag had gone on a screed against the author calling Jesus 'passive'. But Jesus did have an extremely passive side.

Similar thing happened to me with a copy of Heart of Darkness, except every line was highlighted. It switched between 4 different marker colours throughout for no apparent reason and there was loads of shit scribbled in the margins as well. I got a refund on it.

>regarding the figure of christ in the christian bible as a single character

Why?

You're right. Think of play as in the way children play. Make the work that you love be the thing you enjoy most doing.

Poor guy, I found this in a thrift store. But I get that's what you get trying to force Pynchon onto someone.

>To: Gunga Dinn

is that a joke

also he seems terribly autistic and bad at everything