>bunch of drunks hang at the bar, pretty much like in moes bar at the simpsons
>smells of smoke
>pretty dark
>theres SHITLOADS of plants, like in a market garden, way too many plants
>only one old couple eating there, they seem to know the waiter
>all in all a really strange, old looking place
>tables dont even have cloth on them
>me and another one decide to just get a steak, the prices are really low
it was some argentinia beef steak, medium, and goddamn it was one of the best steaks i have ever eaten.
we all were completely amazed by our meals, and i even felt a little bad because i thought the place is shit.

>tl;dr: we went to some really sleazy looking bar/restaurant and got extremely good food for a low price

tell me about your surprises while going out to eat.

pic not related

>on holiday in Spain, Cordoba

Beautiful city with lots of history and things to see and visit.

>walk down alley, spot this really, really shady looking place - looks like a bar
>get my courage together to walk in... Loads of tourists were doing the 180 degree walk in hindsight
>locale looks more like a social club for retired seniors and pensioners, and has bullfighting memorabilia everywhere
>walk up to bar, point at the barrels behind it to place order - the barman is around 60, no English whatsoever
>they have food behind a tiny deli display too - pickles, cheese, marinated fish and such
>get this little tiny glass of chilled white wine
>proceed to drink the best fortified wine / sherry in my life
>the best bit... One serving was around 150mls / 5ozs maybe, and cost one euro each
>stumble back to the hotel after two glasses - strong stuff, and I usually hold my drink rather well
>visit every day for the rest of the holiday

There was also a casual fine dining restaurant where two 5 course meals and drinks were like 30 - 40 Euro in total. Service was impeccable. Best bang for buck I've had so far.

I am searing steak tonight. But I know it wont be as good as OP pic

Any tips?

Get your pan as hot as possible. Lots of oil, or maybe 50 / 50 with flavoured butter.

Wow. That really does sound incredible. As an amerifat that has only travelled to multiple countries in the Far East, I'm going to start planning a food trip to Spain and Italy. Fuck France.

Having said that, I would like to go to Great Britain for hand pulled ales and real Scotch. But I refuse categorically to go to fucking France.

Also garlic and thyme if you have any.

Yeah I am more of just a pure butter person these days.Should be good enough.

Used tenderizer on it earlier with some pink salt and pepper

I literally have a giant bush of it on the porch right now. how would you suggest using it fresh??

Ales here in the UK are fantastic, as is most of the food despite the misconceptions. I might be lucky though in that respect because I live in a large city and in my area alone there are 30+ restaurants (including one Michelin starred), pubs, takeaways and and coffee shops. Ironically, my favourite gastro pub serves brilliant american style food (smoked ribs, wings, fried chicken, mac n cheese).

Spain as a destination to enjoy food is absolutely fantastic, regardless whether it's further inland or by the seaside. I've only been to the region of Andalusia, but I love what I've seen so far.

Never had any French food which absolutely blew me away. Their bread and pastries are very good though. Have a patisserie / baker / café nearby which is superb for the aforementioned stuff.

Perfect. Just throw it in with the butter and garlic at the end of the sear.

>But I know it wont be as good as OP pic

eh i shouldnlt have used tenderizer on them and not as good as a as yours. but will be good. just from publix. all will be well !

>be me
>invited to dinner reservations with girlfriends family
>sure, I'd love to, w/e
>little Italian joint on the 'shady' side of town
>small building, dirt parking lot, ragged sign walking in (looks a little rough around the edges)
>get seated by some teenager/ have a student waiter
>place is pretty busy, lots of blue-collar looking folks in there too
>paper place mats on table (lel); tacky over the top wall 'art' with tons of old photos, maps of Italy/Sicily, a bust of Jesus on the cross in the corner...; plastic water glasses; shitty flat wear
>like that crappy stamped metal cafeteria silverwear that's hardly a notch above disposable plastic silverwear
>we all order wine and mull over menu
>wine is meh, drinkable but obviously over-priced
>order cavatelli w/white sauce and grilled veggies
>salad is on par with wine, dressing pretty dece I suppose
>really only expect something a bit tastier than Olive Garden at this point...
>food comes
>holyshit!... it's beautiful!
>portions are generous and plated very simply, but it just looks and smells heavenly
>start eating
>this is some of the best food I've paid for in quite some time.
>fuck a doggy bag this scrumptious shit is all coming home in my belly

my plate was easily enough portion/calories to feed two for dinner but it was just so good I couldn't not be a little piggy fat fuck and nibble at it until it was gone- justifying the whole time that it wouldn't taste this good reheated.

It was worth the stomach full of lead afterwards and the shit the next morning.

Probably couldn't stand to eat like that more than 1/month but I will most definitely be going back.

>Just around area by friends house, Friday night and the restaurant we wanted to go to had an hour wait time
>Hey let's try this French place
>Go in and the restaurant is decorated like an old ladies house
>Pink drapes, pink curtains, everything pink
>5 people in the front, me, my friend, and a waitress
>Kinda wanna leave by the dead vibe the place was but we both felt bad against leaving so we stay

Then we saw the menus, cheap legit French Food. French Food I have a hard time remembering the names for. It turns out it's a Vietnamese family owned business and the man worked in high end French Restaurants all his life.

Everything was delicious. We ended up paying $30 for a meal that would have cost $70 elsewhere.

I don't even know the name anymore, but it was somewhere in the Pasadena area of California.

>be me

Thank god you specified. Your story wouldn't have made sense otherwise

I'll fUcKiN cut you, BiTcH

That pan is FUCKING NEW

well its not new but i wash it

You're not supposed to.

He doesn't know you're supposed to abraid it in clay cat litter and get a medicine woman to sage it on weekends.

its not a special pan, just a normal one.
im not supposed to fucking "season" it or cum on it and whatever else you hardcore-cooks do with your pans

looks like a generic stamped stainless and you absolutely fucking clean those.

exactly.

It's a fucking stainless steel pan you filthy mong

Bumping for moar stories

>ITT: times you have been surprised while eating out

I was in Thailand one time eating out someone and surprise, it was post op when I turned the lights on.

You wanna give us the actual name and town it was in faggot?