Is it worth becoming a literature teacher for college or high school?

Is it worth becoming a literature teacher for college or high school?

Attending duke, and I've considered it for a long while now. I just fear future job prospects, what do you guys think? Seem like a solid idea?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=7GpT6ycHoMA
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

if you love it

Of course, but even though I love music, I wouldn't major in that because of obvious reasons. Can we see long term what employment would look like?

not high school. if you love literature, high school will just make you want to kill yourself. you never really get into real critical writing in high school and you're a glorified babysitter. I plan on teaching at my school after I'm done with graduate school (working on my Veeky Forums m.a. now) and I hope I can teach either critical methods or an upper level lit class.

On one side, I feel like teachers would have more energy to develop their own skills when they get home. For example, teaching during the day then writing, programming, etc., at night.

On the other hand, I would take grading student's papers very seriously. This could end up eating all my free time.

Well, you gotta do what you love right?

I disagree with this. Sometimes you have to suck it up and do things you don't love to support yourself. Do you really think it could be a universal law to "do what you love"?

This. Although nobody wand to be a toilet cleaner, it's necessary and we thank them for what they do. It's just how it works.
Sadly we can't all be some lord Byron traveling and playing music and reading living a hedonistic life

youtube.com/watch?v=7GpT6ycHoMA

Speaking as an aging adjunct prof. No. No, no, no. You'll work for a decade and amass insane student loans in order to work part-time with no security or benefits for the rest of your miserable life, making less than a full-timer at the local shoe store. You will never get a tenure-track position. Become a medical doctor at all costs.

There's a difference between taking a job at Starbucks to pay rent and picking a lifelong career path that you genuinely don't like. Ask any phD literature professor sitting in a little room teaching you shit way under their pay grade. They do it because they love it.

This.

Of course they love it, but working way under their pay grade? Do you think the billionaires of the world love what they do? For most of them, I doubt it. They love money. The best trash men of the world love their families. The best English teachers of the world love literature and see it as a duty to teach despite the pay.

Think of our fucked up esports generation. If everyone did what they loved, we'd have a society of professional Minecraft players, professional twitch stream watchers, and professional streamers. Who would provide us with water? Who would take the trash to the dump? Who would make sure our sewage system is working properly? The people who love working with poop?

Is this diagram correct?

Honestly, start out high school while you build skills you want/go to grad school; it's not like you need to pick one or the other for the rest of your life

Art history major here, I actually walked away from academia because it was fucking retarded and tried my luck with the venture capitalist swap that is the art market. Been working for a big gallery in a foreign country and I want to quit asap. I'm thinking of starting my masters and then try to find a way to teach but I'm also scared of this

We have professional streamers tho...

The simple solution is to not let anyone do what they like. Everyone should suffer equally

Not necessarily true. AP English courses can be intense and give you the opportunity to help cultivate advanced skills in a younger age group. Plus, AP students tend to be more mature and take school more seriously.

>attending Duke
>wanting to be a societal leech in a meme field

Just be a yuppie like the rest of your classmates and go work for Goldman's Sack

>Goldman's Sack
Holy hot kek