I've never had duck before. This is the first one I've ever bought

I've never had duck before. This is the first one I've ever bought.

Give me a simple recipe to fix this tomorrow, ideally baked. It's for my mother and I.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=6XkDha3gQC8
tastefoodblog.com/2013/12/26/crispy-duck-banh-mi-sliders/
whiteonricecouple.com/recipes/vietnamese-pickled-carrots-daikon/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

I'm not sure what the orange sauce packet would taste like, so I don't plan on using it.

It's chewy meat and tastes like garbage, throw it in the bin and wash your hands.

Shouldn't have bought pre seasoned duck.

I live 30 minutes from the main Maple Leaf farms in Indiana. I cut off the breast for saute. Score the fat, cooler pan, saute and baste.

I then cut off the leg quarters to confit.
Cut off leg quarters. salt with herbs and put in the fridge for a few days.
Cut all the skin off of the duck that wasn't on the breast.
render it slowly (about 4hrs) on the stovetop. It also makes duck cracklins which are good.

Pour the rendered duck fat over the (rinsed) legs and put in a low oven (around 180 - 200) overnight. If you don't have enough fat to cover the legs then cover with olive oil.

bon appetite

forgot the carcass. Use it to enrich a poultry stock.

It's not actually seasoned, that's just a broth that comes with it. Most frozen poultry has this.

How do you know it's a duck in there?

The price

>best if used by 07.14.18
>tfw the duck will decompose long after I'm gone

Seems very cheap. Frozen duck here is about $40 per kg or $20 per lb

And chicken here is less than $1/lb

You live in a large city don't you?

Remove the breasts and legs
Roast the carcass
Simmer the carcass in water until the meat on it doesn't taste like anything, strain the bones, set aside the stock
Roast the legs at around 350 degrees F until you get a thermometer reading of 160 degrees F, set aside to cool
Make a roux, add the duck stock and simmer until sauce consistency
Start the breasts skin-side down in a pan on medium heat and cook until the skin is crispy and the inside reads 130 deg F on the thermometer
Rest the breasts, meanwhile sear the cooked legs and reheat the sauce
Once the legs are seared and the sauce is hot, time to plate up
Season all of the meat with salt and pepper
Cut the duck breast into about half-inch slices
Plate up the legs and breast slices, spoon the sauce over

Serve with potatoes and some root vegetables because it's the winter

Enjoy

Where do you live? That's a very average price in most large Canadian cities from what I've seen. Hell, here in vancouver I can get them for about $10 from frozen at least once a month from asian groceries.

In Toronto you can get a full size duck for $12 and that's a decent brand at an upscale place.

Idiot. It is tender, fatty (so very flavourful). Make sure you don't cook it anything past medium, ideally medium rare OP.

it already has salt, so rub black pepper and paprika around it and roast in a roasting pan for an hour at 400 degrees, poke holes all around the skin to let the fat run, then continue roasting until well browned, about 30-45 mins

alternately, after the first hour, fill the bottom of the pan with a mix of potatoes, carrots, mushrooms, onion, garlic, pears or apples, and whatever other vegetables you want to roast, season well with oregano and rosemary and a little salt, then put the bird back on top and roast until it's brown and the vegetables are fully cooked and tender

I like to dress mine with a simple reduction of honey and balsamic vinegar with a little bit of soy sauce or maggi. You can make one by boiling half a cup of balsy with a teaspoon of honey until it's reduced by half.

defrosted duck is about 8 dollars for a full, small bird, head off

fresh is closer to 15 dollars for a slightly larger one, head on

Not this user but don't wase the run off, duck fat to make the best chips you'll ever eat.

youtube.com/watch?v=6XkDha3gQC8

Started bouldering recently, already on talking terms with 3 qt's.

Social gains are going well

Chips as in crisps or french fries?

Just roast it like a chicken, it's straight forward.

If you can make a roast fuck then give Peking duck a go, it's basically a more complicated version of a roast chicken.

Prick it at the leg joints and pour a couple of kettles of boiling water over it.

Pat dry

Straight into an oven as high as it will go.

15 minutes, turn oven down to a slow roast.

Remove the bird and baste with the fact that you,'ll have in the raising pan.

>It's not actually seasoned, that's just a broth that comes with it. Most frozen poultry has this.
Not outside america it doesn't.

Anyway, OP doesn't have to use the sauce packet and the rest is just brine. Duck can accept a glaze well but doesn't need it.

OP, here's my simple glaze, it's a version of what you do for peking duck.

Take that sauce packet and put it in a wok with two cups or so hot water, then add a tablespoon honey and two tablespoons sesame oil. Get it hot and then turn off the heat.

Take the duck, which should be washed and dried, and bath it in the broth you've made, just gently roll it around to get some coverage all over.

Now transfer to a roasting pan and let it sit for a bit to dry out some. Don't pat dry or anything, just let it air dry. After 15 minutes or so, when it starts to look wrinkly, put it in the oven and cook according to the timing on the back of that packet (probably 90mins with turning once or twice).

It doesn't hurt to cover the wings and legs in foil, they can burn if you don't.

These are basically the first few steps in peking duck, simplified a bit.

I think it's a post-Christmas sale.

Walmart has the exact same thing near me. I was tempted to grab one yesterday.

not that user but desu both

anything savory you can fry is going to be better in duck fat

Anybody have a good duck soup recipe?

Want to make duck for some people,figuring serving it straight would be boring.

why the fuck would you waste duck by boiling it? roast it, steam it, or grill it, and if you have some leftover meat you can add it to any recipe that would otherwise call for chicken meat, but don't turn a whole duck into a soup ffs

>Anybody have a good duck soup recipe?
Just boil down the bones for stock after you're done picking at a roast duck.

Throw in a bouquet garni and some soup vegetables (carrots, onion etc). It doesn't take much. Skim off the fat.

look online for the best chinese bbq duck near you and get that

cheese comes from cows not ducks

Frankly, I consider duck meat to the be the least significant part of buying a duck.

#1: Duck stock, use to make soups and sauces, risotto, etc.
#2: Duck fat, god-tier for roasting veggies, sauteing, making roux, etc.
#3 Duck meat. Yeah, it's tasty but it's not as good as the above.

Guilty. Not much choice when the only two relevant options are Wal-mart and Kroger.

Unless you get a farm to table duck, it's going to be a maple leaf farms duck if you live in the midwest. They pretty much supply the majority of michelin starred restaurants in Chicago.

Duck stock is really that much better than chicken stock? They're both poultry.

no idea about stock, but duck has a lot more flavor, it's not all "chicken" the way chicken is used as a synonym for bland meat

Can fucking confirm this place is the best - it's one of the best places in Portland Maine

>seasoned with water
>t-thanks

If you just buy it at the Asian grocery store you can get it as cheap or cheaper than OP and half the time it isn't frozen.

It comes with the head though

this nigger knows, this is exactly how i cook duck.

I understand the value of the stock and fat, I use them both plenty
However, a roasted, grilled, or smoked duck has a different flavor and texture than could be achieved from any other meat besides fatty bird (not chicken or turkey). Roasting it is especially fantastic, since you get the combination of a crispy skin, the layer of fat, and then the meat. Smoking it is also great, because smoked duck is not unlike bacon. And, unlike chicken, duck is often cooked like steak. All of these are reasons not to boil it, since by boiling it you're basically producing the exact same quality you would get from chicken or turkey, except 2-5 times the price by weight.

Duck stock blows chicken stock out of the water. I'd say it's closer to pork stock: thick, white, and velvety, but less of the meaty flavor from pork bones. It's unbeatable as a hot pot base, and can be used to make the best samgyetang you could ever taste.

Pan. Nice and hot.
Olive oil. in.
Score the fat.
Seeeear it.
You want that sound.
Flip.
Add garlic.
Baste.

Choose life, user.

>flamboyant Chinaman with a cheerful disposition and excellent English skills.
Can I buy one of those at Kroger or will I have to order one on Amazon?

i bet you like your steaks well done too, faggot

>duck has a different flavor and texture than could be achieved from any other meat besides fatty bird

do you think a penguin could rival duck in terms of unique flavor and texture? I've heard that penguin meat is supposed to taste sort of fishy, since all they eat is fish.

If I ever get the chance, I really want to eat a penguin.

I used some leftover pulled roast meat and made a banh mi.

The meat prep info is over here: tastefoodblog.com/2013/12/26/crispy-duck-banh-mi-sliders/
The glaze calls for soy sauce but maggi/gold mountain is so much better

And the recipe for the pickled vegetables is here: whiteonricecouple.com/recipes/vietnamese-pickled-carrots-daikon/

The make or break for this is in the small details. You need banh mi or po-boy bread, as authentic as possible. Lucky for me, there's a night market down the street with has a cheap Viet snack shop, and they sold me a few loaves. You also need cilantro/coriander (if you can handle it) and fresh sliced cucumber. Some people swear by slices of fresh green chilis, but I left them out because there was enough spice in the duck glaze and I wasn't going for a spicy sandwich.

Finally, you have to dress and warm the bread properly. Butter is fine, but duck fat is even butter, use it to fry the insides of the bread and then after it starts to get crispy (before it turns thoroughly brown) flip it and kill the heat, wait a few seconds before taking it off so that the outside warms suitably. Dress it with either fresh mayo or Japanese mayo. I've tried loads of banh mi with American jar mayo or without mayo and after enough trials I can say with certainty that the best prepared mayo you can use in a banh mi is kewpie.

All right time to roll

Stuffing left into the right. Just roughly chopped garlic and onion.

Decided I wanted to keep it simple since it is my first time trying. Just a simple salt and pepper rub and into the oven it goes.

pic

Don't forget prunes and apples.

Ah, well, if you don't like duck, uhhh, you're rather stuck.

the drippings are going to go all over the place and you're going to end up unhappy

Turned out bretty gud. I had a wing, a thigh and part of a breast. The meat itself had a lot of fat, very good taste. The meat was softer than chicken, sliced very easily. The skin was crisp, very rich flavor. Definitely a different flavor than chicken, but a concentrated richness similar to chicken in every bite.

I had a potato and some brusselsprouts along with it, I fried the brusselsprouts in a small amount of the fat. They were good, but the brusselsprouts masked some of the flavor from the fat. I will have to use it with something else. Did not take a picture of the plating but I did of the bird.

Different angle. Good experience and it was worth the money to try something new. I only used salt and pepper on it so I could get a stronger taste of just the duck, but I can definitely see myself stuffing some fresh thyme in it next time I make it (if that ever happens). I would also probably rub it down with some herbs de provence because I think it would match well.

Better than chicken imo. Do recommend to try if you never have.

LEWD!

looks pretty good senpai

would eat/10 i've never had duck before either

Yes, this is how it is done

You're all getting cucked. U.K. here, whole gressingham duck for like £6, much better quality and not injected full of salt and water like that prepackaged shite.

Season gratuitously with salt, pepper, and minced garlic, and slow roast hella low and slow, then blast for a final half hour, comes out beautifully. See pic related, the one I paid that much for.

Nice, looks like one fat ass duck, so much breast meat. Personally I like it hella crispy, but would eat the shit out of that.

>2.84 USD a pound
>our hunting party gets our daily bag limit almost every day we go
>that's 6 birds harvested per person per day
>4 persons on the pond
>possession limit is 3x the bag limit
>possession limit almost always reached by the end of the weekend
>72 birds harvested on the best weekends
>60 some birds on a bad one

Hello Veeky Forums, /out/ here. For some reason i didn't realize we were bringing home gold.

We normally just breast them and take the legs off the good ones. Rest of it is turned into bear bait or dog food. The breasts and legs we just throw on the grill with some lemon pepper. I honest to God didn't know this was an expensive meat considering how easy it is to get.

For me it's the best breakfast cereal.

Use the carcass to make stock. Duck soup is delicious.
Isn't bear meat pretty gross? I've never heard anyone liking the taste.

It's very fatty so we make stew out of it. My sister in law and sisters can all of it and shares it with everyone else since not all of us will get a bear permit.

We used to make jerky and sticks out of it, but it never really worked out.

I'm cooking a duck tomorrow - a lot of recipes are suggesting that I flip the the duck at different stages of cooking - is this necessary? I've never thought it necessary to flip chickens or turkeys while roasting but maybe I'm a scrub

You don't have to do it, but just as with a chicken or a turkey the purpose behind flipping them is to brown the skin more evenly.

Surely a roasting pan with a rack would allow the hot air to circulate around the bird solving this issue?

How is the taste? Very gamey and strong?

An elevated rack helps, but it won't do a perfect job.

Most of the "cooking" from an oven has nothing to do with the hot air. Rather it's the radiant heat from the inside surface of the oven. A raised rack will certainly let hot air circulate but the tray/pan below it will still block a lot of the radiant heat from the bottom and the lower sides of the oven.

Thus it's still a good idea to flip partway through cooking. Or you can do the Chinese method which is to hang the bird from a hook.

Shit that's right - they do that, which is why I was planning on getting one of these

Don't. Vertical roasters are much better suited to chicken. I tried using one (pic related) on a duck and I did not like the result. The breasts finished well before the thighs. I had to part out the thighs and finish them in the juices and fat that dripped off.

You really should part out a duck because there is such a large difference in how the breast and the thigh quarters should be cooked.

You want to cook the breast like steak, to a temp of ~135 F. The best technique is to score the skin, then place the breast skin side down in the pan so the fat renders out and cooks the breast. This works very well if you do it slowly with low heat (should take ~30 min). Flip the breast over and sear the other side to finish.

The thighs are tougher and better suited to long slow cooking like confit, braising, or smoking.

this isn't wrong but duck breast is not unlike chicken thigh and you can't go wrong roasting an entire bird for about 90 minutes at about 200 degrees

flipping for the finish is great though, you just get a nice crispy skin and really no negative effects because it's hard as hell to overcook a duck

>because it's hard as hell to overcook a duck

You kidding me? Once the breast meat is no longer pink inside there's a serious drop in both flavor and texture.

that's not overcooked, that's a different style
would you say roasted chicken thigh is "overcooked" if it's not pink?

You call it a different style, I call it overcooked.

As for the thigh? No, it's a different cut so it has a different optimal cooking temperature. The thigh should have no pink inside.

but duck breast and chicken thigh have extremely similar textures once roasted to brownness

that is some THICC DUCC

I agree with this, the breast is still very soft due to all the fat content. It doesn't have as much as the thigh and leg do, but it's still more than chicken which is easy to cook the breasts dry (if you don't know what you're doing).