Stupid questions that don't deserve their own threads -/qtddtot/-

Just one of those

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Frobenius_theorem_(real_division_algebras)
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Quaternion#History
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Power_rule
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Geometric_series
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

How do I solve for currents here? All resistors with the exception of the middle one are 2 ohm.
The center and right voltage source are 6 V while the left one is 3 V. I tried using Kirchhoff but to no avail, my system had multiple solutions. I probably screwed something up.

Use superposition. Also there's an /sqt/ up for just this reason.

Polite sage

>Doing thermodynamics problems
>One of the questions reads "A building is heated to 27 degrees C. How much heat per second could be supplied by an electric heater, with power input 20 kW?"
I'm tempted to just say 20kJ, but I'm awfully afraid that it's more complicated than that. I'm not looking for an answer, I'd just like to know whether or not it's as simple as it seems.

are quaternions just 3d imaginary numbers?

why is their 4 (ijk + a real number) and not 3 (one for each axis)?

the nice thing about quaternions (along with reals and complex numbers) is that you're able to do division

its a result of frobenius that these are the only finite-dimensional real algebras, there's just no way to do it in a 3-dimensional setting
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Frobenius_theorem_(real_division_algebras)
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Quaternion#History

In kinetic modular theory, can a single gas particle have a temperature?
assuming 1m^3 box , and velocity is constant.

on a side note does anyone know the proof of mean/average ? ( Im trying to see if you can take the average of a set containing only one item)

Q2=-6Q1

How do I solve for the electric potential (voltage) on the central axis? Would I just add up 2 integrals of dq/r one for each charge density? How would I account the diferent sizes?

rotations in 3d space must be represented by a 4d object. Think of it as 3 values to represent the axis of rotation and one value for the angle. Quaternion components don't translate this way, but because they represent a rotation in 3D space, they still need to be 4-dimensional

By the superposition theorem, you know they add together. So you just take the integrals as you normally would but split them up by the charge density.

Because of the topological structure of the projective plane. Homogeneous coordinates have a multiplier(the real number)

I'm trying to find the maxima and minima of a function, and have come to sin(x) + 3.25((cos(x)^2 - (cos(x)^(5/2)) =0 and I'm having a hell of a time solving for x here. I was thinking of relating it back to cartesian coordinates, but does anyone have any other ideas?
I tried plugging it into wolfram and it told me x= 6.28318n, i.e. x = 2n pi for only integers; but I've found other points across my range (from 0 to pi) that work and give a non 0 values, so the max can't be 0.

Is that the function or the first derivative?

Are quaternion numbers less real than imaginary numbers? Is a quaternion:imaginary as imaginary:real? Like, when your dream has a dream?

why can't the surface area of a revolution be just the integral of the circumference formula with the radius being some arbitrary continuous functon?

volume of revolution works fine with the area formula, so, likewise, why can't the circumference work for the surface of a revolution?

for example
I have the curve sin(pi*x) to revolve around the x-axis from 0 to 1, but the surface area isn't four, its rather some irrational number 7.77939.. , wtf?

What I have there is the first derivative of the function

Are there any websites that serve as viable hominin fossil databases?

I have a math exam tomorrow evening (general mathematics 2) that I'm a bit behind in terms of revision for. I have all day tomorrow free up until I have to go in for the exam. What is the best way to use my time effectively, should I just do what I normally do and work through past exam papers?

start right now
do pomodoro technique (get the app)

What are the latest research results about the P = NP problem?

Thanks. I can't really start right now as I was just doing some things before going to bed but I'll be sure to usei t tomorrow.

What is the 4th derivative of some X? I found an answer as 2/x^3, is this true and how is this kind of derivation called? Otherwise it would be 0 ofc, but this one is different, and how is that 0*x^{0-1} part jumped?

I want to get a subscription for a science journal, anyone got any recommendations?

Can't you just get them at your uni library or online ? Interesting papers don't always come from a single journal, that's why universities have subscriptions to dozens of them

I don't know why it doesn't work. Probably because perimeter is a one dimensional thing.

Well usually people subscribe for thing in their fields or shit you are interested in. Asking for recommendations kinda ruins the whole purpose of it, doesn't it? There are science journals for everything. Probably there is a journal for mycopathologies that affect hands and another one for mycopathologies for feet etc

What is catnip, and what does it do to cats?

Not sure if this belongs here

Why am I missing some dll files from my computer? How do I get them back? I'm trying to run a pirated game, but when I try it says I'm missing certain dll files.

Explain to me injectivity and surjectivity of a function as if I were a mentally retarded person

[spoiler]just google the dll name, download it and put on the game directory[/spoiler] Just make sure you don't download dll.mp3.exe.notvirus

quick sci, if im writing a personal statement or CV, and i have a publication getting ready to be submitted, how do i indicate this in said statement or CV?

like user, A. Formation of Meme Molecule complexes as delivery systems for other meme molecules. J. Dank Memes. (in preparation 2017)

or how? pic unrelated

thx bro
I found a website dllyes.com that has dll files but i just don't want to get screwed by viruses. Do you know of any legit websites good for dll files?

Say an exam has 3 topics. If I only care about passing, and not my grade, is it worth devoting all my attention to the two that I'm best at and just doing what I can on the other one during the exam? Or is it best to prepare for all 3 topics evenly?

The third degree Taylor polynomial for $ln(x)$ centered at 1 is $f(x)=(x-1)-\frac{(x-1)^2}{2}+\frac{(x-1)^3}{3}$. Now, $f(0.3)=-1.0593$ and $ln(0.3)=-1.2040$. $|ln(0.3)-f(0.3)|=0.145$. However, the error bound is supposed to be $\frac{(0.3-1)^4}{4}=0.06$.

The actual error is bigger than the bound?

The third degree Taylor polynomial for $ln(x)$ centered at 1 is [math]f(x)=(x-1)-\frac{(x-1)^2}{2}+\frac{(x-1)^3}{3}[/math]. Now, [math]f(0.3)=-1.0593[/math] and [math]ln(0.3)=-1.2040[/math]. [math]|ln(0.3)-f(0.3)|=0.145[/math]. However, the error bound is supposed to be [math]\frac{(0.3-1)^4}{4}=0.06[/math].

The actual error is bigger than the bound?

>all 3 topics evenly
this. most profs would rather have you understand 10% of every concept in the book than only know a few of them really well.

Retarded who knows nothing here.

I have a fear with black holes, I have no idea why I'm afraid.
I ask: Is it okay fear that one of them come to us? Seriously, I'm afraid.

why is (0.3-1)^4/4 your bound?

Anyone here know enough about astronomy to
say why this is BS that the media thinks is ET's?

Discovery of Peculiar Periodic Spectral Modulations in a Small Fraction of Solar-type Stars

Ermanno F. Borra and Eric Trottier

God is punishing you. Commandment #11 = no torrents, Noah knew this 1000 years ago. Repent!

It only goes on there if you've at least submitted it.

If you really need to tell someone about it, just tell them in the email or interview or whatever.

Impossible to answer. At the very least post the subject you are referring to. Also what level is this? Undergrad? You should really find the time to hit all 3 areas.

Undergraduate Physics. The topics are Electromagnetism, Diffraction/Scatter/Refraction/Dispersion (Atmospheric Optics), and Lenses/Mirrors etc, smaller scale optics.

I don't know if it's the professor or PhD students that mark exams. Would I be better off in terms of my overall mark to distribute my understanding evenly rather than focus on a couple of topics, in that case?

What equations am I supposed to use?

I'm trying to prove to somebody mathematically that theoretically Pokemon is inherently very resistant to power creep. To do this, I want a relatively accurate number of all possible Pokemon while keeping it within the same total base stat (the exact measurement of the Total Base Stat doesn't matter). While some combinations would be less effective than others, doing it this way means that there shouldn't be a need to create Pokemon with higher TBS, or a hard power creep.
There are 6 stats for each Pokemon, and for simplicity's sake I'm spreading it at Low=1, Medium=2, and High=3 for a TBS sum of 12. Is there an easy way to calculate all possible combinations in one equation? If so, how do I do it and how many combinations would there be? Full autism mode where Very Low=0 and Very High=4 could be included. Things like including combinations like HLHLHL or LHLHLH is tripping me up

W = J/t
1W = 1Js^-1

So the heater is rated at Q = 20000Js^-1.
Your kneejerk answer was right.

Not that guy but how would you do it? How would you represent one part being 1/4 or the circle and the other being 3/4?

Anyone here who knows Python? I've been into it for a week and know the early basics pretty well now. I don't follow a course or anything but to test myself I've been looking at simple programs to make at my level

Pic related, I managed to make a simple palindrome checker but does anyone know the function body for pic related? Not the docstring

/g/'s better for these kind of questions

How is it that the moon is in line with the sun and can even block out the sun during a eclipse. Does not prove we are in a holographic program?

>undergraduate physics

easier than you think. your future classes will probably make you cry

>electromagnetism, diffraction/scatter/refraction/dispersion, lenses/mirrors

Seriously, just sit down and do all the homework problems. It will take for fucking ever but you will pass the exam so easily. At the very least practice writing down the formulas and proper units. Understand how to change to proper units. 99% of the test is knowing the formula, knowing how to change units of said formula, and 1% is actually doing the calculation correctly. When you start the exam you should be able to write down all the pertinent formulas for a problem immediately.

The professors don't expect you to actually know proper physics at the end. You are learning the equivalent of 2 + 2 in physics when future classes will be like calculus.

Why is the integral of x^2 x^3/3 the integral of x^4 x^5/5 etc? I'm not exactly asking for the answer but possibly the name of the theorem or a link to something that i can find the answer with.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Power_rule

Ok, thank you. This is second year stuff, I don't know if that makes any difference.

Thank you

Chemistry question.

I took some 6mol HCl, copper wire and water and mixed it all in a bowl until it turned bright green. I think its Cu(ii)Cl2.
Then I cleaned a square, steel pipe with some HCl to get rid of the rust.
I placed one end of the steel in the solution. I then added a 2A car battery starter terminal to one end of the pipe and the other terminal into the water.

The steel became plated with copper, but only around the corner of the pipe.

Why is that and what can I do to completely plate the pipe?

I dont have any pics, i was half drunk in my dads garage proving a point.

Sets and number theory is killing me off. I understand what I have to do and prove clearly but I don't know how to write down my answer.

e.g. when proving a relation is equivalence I feel like I'm stuttering in my steps when proving the properties and then I have a messy looking proof. Say I want to show its transitive property I just reach a stumbling block and have to keep scratching and retrying manipulations until I get it-and it feels so unnatural and wrong

Tldr How do I properly visualise a proof to write it down and have the reader understand it clearly?

>e.g. when proving a relation is equivalence I feel like I'm stuttering in my steps when proving the properties and then I have a messy looking proof. Say I want to show its transitive property I just reach a stumbling block and have to keep scratching and retrying manipulations until I get it-and it feels so unnatural and wrong
practice more of them

>Tldr How do I properly visualise a proof to write it down and have the reader understand it clearly?
you don't just 'visualize' a proof, you find out what you need to show and then work through the steps. write your proof after getting rid of unnecessary/complicated steps, show it to someone and see if they understand it

is there a particular transitivity argument you find difficult?

Hello Veeky Forums, how would I prove, i a mathematically way, the following situation:
If I draw a number of n circles onto a plane, which splits said plane into different areas - I could paint every area either black or white, without ever two areas of the same color touching.

>paint two areas apart from eachother black
>leave all others white
What is the problem?

What's it called again when someone cites an entire bookwork as evidence against your claim in a discussion, and he expects you to read it all so you basically do the job for him? I think of spoonfeeding but that's not the term I'm looking for.

not an argument

there is no statement that can be rebutted by [book title]

there might be a statement in the book but just citing the book doesn't mean anything

What is the most concise way to convince flat-earthers that Earth isnt flat?

There is no way. They'll just rationalize and invent something else. Just like /pol/tards

This. As a general rule, you can't reason someone out of a position they didn't reason themselves into in the first place.

Why is the maximum reaction rate of a noncompetitive inhibitor is lower than the max reaction rate of a competitive inhibitor?

What if I just draw two disjoint circles on the plane ? I get three areas and there are bound to be two of the same color touching if I paint them in black and white right ? Or am I not understanding the problem statement ?

convince them that their arguments actually turned you into a flat earther, they might be so horrified that they break character and admit they were trolling.

Is the only way to just count each individual combination?

Can I get into engineering with a Bachelor's in Math. If I get a BMath, what should I get as my Master's Degree?

Im taking an algebra course in a community college, am I already fucked as far as engineering degrees go?

>am I already fucked as far as engineering degrees go?
No. But you better have one hell of a work ethic.

what makes you say that?

Was in your same position last year, now I'm transferred to a normal Uni, the catchup time is enormous when you come in without the mathematics background. You will have to take a bunch of math all at once right going in, and the courseload can be really overwhelming. You have to reteach yourself a lot of mathematics on your own on the fly to keep up.

You can't get a professional engineering license, but you can get some engineering jobs (the only career ceiling being you can't commission anything without a professional engineer's signature, do consulting etc.).

>what should I get as my Master's Degree?
If you're gonna do grad-school anyway getting an engineering bachelors will be worth to you then do math postgrad, not the other way around. If you can get into an accredited eng masters programme do that, but schools were you don't need an accredited b engineering degree are usually just applied science research degrees that aren't accredited.

Anyone here have experience with RobotStudio and programming in RAPID?

Is Veeky Forums still an existential hole full of malice?

That's a bit generous, but on a good day it approaches that.

A 1.9kg mass, Ma, and a 4.0kg mass, Mb, are connected to a lightweight cord that passes over a frictionless pulley, what is the acceleration of Ma if gravity acts in the negative direction

You need to draw the free body diagram for both cases. Since they're on the same chord, you can solve it using their relationship of tension T

Is homogeneous (like in DE) pronounced ho-mo-jee-knee-us, ho-mo-jee-nus, or hom-awe-jen-us?

the first one

you said disjoint circles so just colour both circles black and their complement white

how do you solve this?

solve what? a sum isn't a question

how do you simplify it then?

Shit I *was* tired.

what is c?

c is real

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Geometric_series

Write the sine as a sum of exponentials, expand

no brainlet, if c is an odd integer then the sum diverges

otherwise it's equal to 1/(1-sin(pi*c/2))

Could someone help me with a proof? The situation is this:

>f(x) is a polynomial of degree n, p is a prime
>a is a root of f(x) mod p, so f(x) = (x-a)q(x) + c, where c is divisible by p and the degree of q(x) is n-1
>Not all of the coefficients of f(x) are divisible by p

Knowing all of this, how do I prove that not all coefficients of q(x) are divisible by p? Apparently it's a quick and easy proof but I'm dumb and need help.

Any Civil Engineers here?

Turns out our senior "capstone" project has no creativity whatsoever, it's wholly assignment-based for the entire class. Kinda disappointed.

Anyone know of any ideas for self-projects I can do for fun and to boost the resume? Already done some ASCE stuff.

Well what are the coefficients of f ?
[math]f_0 = c - a q_0[/math] and
[math]f_{i+1} = q_i - a q_{i+1}[/math]
If all the coefficients of q were divisible by p, then all the coefficients of f would also be divisible by p.

Welp, that seems to be the case. Thanks a lot user.

I'm in a Circuit 1 class and wanna know what kind of circuits could be built using op amps, LEDs, resistors, battery, and capacitors.

I'm just not sure what op amps can and can't do, was wondering if I could create a circuit with multiple LEDs oscillation

How to find out area of the grey zector?
I think that : S(of the sector)=(Q2-Q1)/360 * pi(r1^2-r2^2)
Am I right?

I've got a stupid physics question that I just can't figure out. If an antelope is running at 7m/s at the moment it passes a lion, and the lion chases, accelerating at a rate of 5m/s, how long does it take the lion to catch up to the antelope?

Aren't I supposed to use the horizontal distance formula or something?