Can the need for sleep be permanently cured? We'd be able to triple the amount of worker productivity

Can the need for sleep be permanently cured? We'd be able to triple the amount of worker productivity.

>he sleeps 16 hours/day
wat

No. You must go to sleep every once in a while, you can't stay in the simulation for too long unless you want to go mad.

...How would eliminating sleep triple productivity? Shouldn't it just increase it by 50%? (Assuming 8 hours of sleep per 24 hour period)

Productivity isn't the same thing as hours spent working. It's how much shit people get done in the time they spend working. For example France has a much higher productivity than US even though they get two months of stat holidays.

I think OP's idea is: Nobody gets tired at work; it's like everybody's had five cups of coffee without needing coffee breaks. They don't get distracted by not having time for the hobbies wife and kids because they're not needing to sleep for half their off time.

the Soviet air force experimented decades
ago with electically-induced sleep, to
reduce the sleep need of their aircrews,
with long-term negative side effects
>worker productivity
in one word: robots

The real problem is opposite. We are having trouble creating up enough new reasonable jobs to fight off the unemployment imposed by technological advances.

That's not gonna be a problem. Just a bigger percentage of people in the lower classes to act as watchdogs.

>Can the need for sleep be permanently cured?
Yes. There are very very few people out there with no need to sleep. We just have no idea how that works.

>We'd be able to triple the amount of worker productivity.
You would be better off looking closely at the femaloid side of the work force.

In nature every animal sleeps.
Given how vulnerable an animal is when sleeping there must be a very good reason to do that.
So I guess overcome that reason is quite difficult, because the evolutionary advantage to do it would have been great.

>impying sleep is a sickness

Soon enough we'll all be connected with augmentations and have lucid dreams every night where we browse the surreal internet.

>reversing billions of years of evolutionary development of reacting to sunlight.
>good idea

pick one

After months without sleep, people actually just die. They figured that out in an study on people with this rare familial insomina. We still don't know why though.

>In nature every animal sleeps
Most invertebrates dont sleep ever.

>reversing billions of years of evolutionary development of reacting to viruses and bacteria
>good idea

Stop making use of any modern medicine or stop making that shit argument. One or the other.

>The slave doesn't need a a brand on his back, what?He wants more work, what?

I'll need sauce on that, famalam. I've read about Fatal Familial Insomnia, a super rare disease, 44 families reported worldwide carry the genes for it, iirc. It begins in middle age, so it has little effect on reproduction. But after onset, it kills within months, up to a year.

It is unkown, however, if the lack of sleep is the cause of the symptoms, like dementia, neurological degradation, etc, or is it a symptom itself.

This is dumb, just no

>After months

Assuming you mean like 1-2 hours of sleep a day, because no sleep will kill you in less then a week

We probably will never be able to do away with sleep because our brains as we have them right now need sleep or the state of sleep to function correctly. Are there any higher organisms with a complex neurological system which don't sleep? I don't know about any.