He's actually going to office hours

>he's actually going to office hours

How often do you go to brainlet hours?

Literally every week. You'd have to be pretty stupid to pay all that tuition money and not take advantage of every opportunity you can to get the highest grades possible/possibly do research in undergrad if a professor likes you. Here's your (You) though.

>doing research in undergrad
>doing research at all
>even considering getting a graduate degree and going into academia

Do you hate yourself?

The call of the brainlet.

It's ok OP, I'm sure sitting in your dorm on a friday night making frogposts on Veeky Forums and playing league of virgins is a much better use of your time.

Never obviously. Much easier to just A) use google B) read the text and think about it or C) ask a friend.

i do it when the proffessor is cute

If you have such a lax grasp of concepts in undergrad courses that are taught in a way for the average undergrad to understand and need outside instruction, then yes, you are

t. freshman calc I student who "specializes in the quotient rule"

>willingly goes into a career that has extremely low job prospects and extremely low pay

>I'm the brainlet

I rarely go to office hours but my college has an electrical/computer engineering resource center, and when I'm working on EE homework I basically sit in there the entire time so I have TAs at my disposal should I ever have a question.

It's extremely helpful. Particularly for the one class I have that's taught by a shitty professor who makes extremely long, difficult, homework with vague wording and topics we only just touched upon.

If I have a math class that has hard homework, then I'll go to the math resource center and do the same thing.

Basically I'll only actively seek help outside of my normal schedule when it comes to homework, and rarely for conceptual understanding.

Why not use the resources you have?

>he values money over intellectual challenge and discovery
hello brainlet!

My school has a math tutoring lab. It's hit or miss depending on the semester though. Last summer the tutors were great. This semester only two or three of them know what they're doing. If they aren't there or are busy, I'll wait and go to office hours and ask the prof.

>he paid tens of thousands of dollars for a degree to work his ass off for hardly any money

hello cuck!

It's been a while since I've been to my math center, but when I was there during my very first semester the tutors were alright, albeit the class I was there for was just calc 2.
I never considered that the tutors would change though. If I ever need it again I'll probably just go to office hours instead because it was often packed at certain hours and impossible to get the right tutor.

>he considers his field arduous, painful work to be endured instead an enjoyable, stimulating passion
just go into finance or something if you just want to be make money, why are you even on Veeky Forums?

or are you too aspie/physically unattractive to be a banker chad?

>he didn't get a scholarship
dude brainlets lmao

t. Brainlet

>he's motivated purely by material incentives
you're basically a dog m8

>tfw too intelligent for this board

>Not having deep insights into your lessons that are not covered by the lessons and are most conveniently answered by asking the professors during office hours

the simpletons comfort themselves in their limited understanding by telling themselves that only idiots go to office hours.

Couple weeks into calculus 1 now, doing well, already past the chain rule and beyond. Quotient rule was a joke. Product rule remains my specialty.

I ask my professor his thoughts on quantum mechanics and partial derivatives. He's impressed i know about the subject. We converse after class for some time, sharing mathematical insights; i can keep up. He tells me of great things ahead like series and laplacians. I tell him i already read about series on wikipedia. He is yet again impressed at my enthusiasm. What a joy it is to have your professor visibly brighten when he learns of your talents.

And now I sit here wondering what it must be like to be a brainlet, unable to engage your professor as an intellectual peer.

All of the deep conversations you people must miss out on because you aren't able to overcome the intellectual IQ barrier that stands in the way of your academic success... it's so sad.

My professor and I know each other on first name basis now, but i call him Dr. out of respect.

And yet here you brainlets sit, probably havent even made eye contact with yours out of fear that they will gauge your brainlet IQ levels.

A true shame, but just know it is because i was born special that i am special. I can't help being a genius, nor can my professor.

Two of a kind is two flocks in a bush.

>Literally bragging about being able to do basic high school level math in college.

I would feel incredibly gay forming a personal relationship with my professors like this.

well, in math and physics at least, many professors
are. not judging anybody, but it certainly seems to be a trend.

Yeah me too. And I'm a prof. It can be really fun to have students who love the class. But I could do without the elitism and pretentiousness.

>Go to office hours
>Get PhD spot

Funny how not being a massive autist worked out. Got any PhD spot offers for shitposting on Veeky Forums yet?

Wow congratulations to 5 years of underpaid, super hard work, immense mental pressure, incompetent and sometimes straight out malicious reviewers and when you think you've had enough to get "you don't want to look like a failure / drop out, do you?" thrown in your face.

I hope it will be a pleasant journey for you. ;)

I'm not american, but nice try

spotted the pleb who tried to get a phd despite below average IQ. Its is not for everyone and a semi retard such as yourself is only going to suffer when pursuing higher education. Not everyone's IQ is as low as yours, so just face it. Just do your 50k menial labor until you die

10/10 best pasta (or pasta to be) yet

>he thinks office hours are for questions
>he doesnt know that they are used to get known with the professor and so you can get perks

Its like this is your first day in uni,fucking hell man.

I went once for control theory, because I couldn't figure out a proof. At the end it turned out that there was a typo in the textbook and I was right all along.

>>he doesnt know that they are used to get known with the professor and so you can get perks

what the fuck do i say when i go in if i'm trying to do this

like surely you come in with SOME question and then make conversation after that right?

this kills the man

>Taking calc 1 in COLLEGE
>"Here you brainlets sit"

I just go in with a question that is related to a topic tangentially related to(and obviously higher level than) what we are doing in the class and ask their advice on how to go about studying said topic, or how different related topics overlap with each other.

Other things I have asked professors about that they seem to eat up and become friends over:
Pedagogy
Ethical considerations of (field topic)
Book or paper recommendations to learn the topic beyond what the book is covering.
Asking their opinion on some related paper.

Basically just act like you would with starting a friendship or conversation with someone at a club. Figure out where your interests intersect with theirs, and play up that common ground in conversation with them until you end up with a friendship. This is how all friendship works, building layers of commonality.

>professor
>female
>cute

What brainlet major are you in where this happens?

Statistics

As often as I want.

>science
>no graduate degree

Have fun living in ignorance.

I had a Chinese diffeq professor once who was cute in her mannerisms and personality but average in looks.

Though I also had a calc 3 professor who might be able to very successfully cosplay an old homeless Russian woman.

>Just do your 50k menial labor until you die
It's a good think I'm getting a computer science degree. My menial labor will be worth at least $200k starting. Meanwhile, the plebians getting PhDs in pure mathematics because of "muh intellectual enrichment" and "muh passion" are walking right into a career where they will make $40k a year and live in a shitty apartment in a run-down neighborhood for the rest of their lives. Really makes you kek.

>implying female

>Have fun living in ignorance.

Enjoy losing another 1-4 years of your best years living in a cave and eating ramen.

>200k starting

If it was good enough for Musashi, it's good enough for me.

>the most basic bitch stem major in existence
>200k starting

Top zozzle

>Don't understand something quite right or want further elaboration
>Go up to professor post lecture (their office hours are always post lecture)
>Ask for a quick elaboration
>Sometimes I get it right there and others we go to their office
>Walk away with now proper understanding with little difficulty and hassle
>Professor now knows your name and face
>Likes you more for showing you give a shit about trying to better yourself in their subject

Also
>Give professor rough draft of paper
>Accidentally sends me an uncommented version
>Go to office hours
>Gives two options, deal with it there or get sent on my way with the commented copy
>Decide to stay there with him because fuck it why not
>Get way more insight into what I did wrong than if I got comments only

From my brother
>Always visiting professors to say high and double check on progress
>His GPA is at a 3.0 risen from a 2.25
>Is set to get his degree in history with a specialization in High School education
>Professor pulls him aside
>Tells him that one solid recommendation from him will land him in a grad program because he likes him and saw how hard he worked to up his GPA to a final 3.2
>Literally got offered a grad position he didn't have the credentials for

Growing up with a brother suffering from Down's syndrome must've been hard, user. I feel for you.

Is research as an undergrad unusual? It's required to get a bachelors for my chem major here, I started near the end of sophomore year but it's not mandatory until senior year

Dank meme

I lol'd

>struggles to get a 3.0 GPA
Truth hurts sometimes.

>Implying I said struggle
Also, starting out with a low GPA and a lot of classes under your belt is kind of a bitch to raise it by nearly a full point in a short period of time.

This is obviously bait.
kek. Good job. Good pasta

>starting out with a low GPA in the first place
>in history of all things

>>His GPA is at a 3.0 risen from a 2.25

This isn't helping your case if this is the kind of genes that run through your family. Fucking brainlets reeeeeeeeeee