Let people know that I don't tip in a conversation at work

>let people know that I don't tip in a conversation at work
>everybody stops what they're doing to listen in
>crowd forms around me
>"DUDE I USED TO BE A WAITER DONT YOU KNOW WE RELY ON TIPS TO MAKE ANY MONEY $2 WAGE BRUH MUH TIPS"
>"if everybody had the same view as tipping as you there wouldnt be any waitstaff!"
>"IF UR TOO POOR 2 TIP UR 2 POOR TO EAT OUT WAHT ARE YOU POOR?"
>"LUL I BET YOU GET A LOT OF GIRLS WITH AN ATTITUDE LIKE THAT"
>inform them that if they make less than minimum wage with tips, their employer has to make up the difference
>"IF RESTAURANTS HAD TO DO THAT, ALL OF THEM WOULD CLOSE BECAUSE THE MARGINS ARE SO TIGHT THEY LITERALLY L I T E R A L L Y CANNOT AFFORD TO PAY THEIR OWN EMPLOYEES!"
>ask them how the rest of the world manages to make food even though they have to pay their waitstaff an actual wage
this was the literal exact response, i didnt really know how to respond
>"yeah but all those countries have different taxes so they are able to do that"
what the fuck does that even mean? servants never disclose how much they actually make with tips, so they dont even pay their fair share of taxes. $100+ untaxed income a night and have the gall to demand more money for filling a cup and walking a plate to my table

I don't make it a big deal that I don't tip whilst in a restaurant, but I'd be lying if I said I didn't enjoy the look of cucked rage when they see a big fat empty on the table when I'm finished

Do bartenders make minimum wage because they get a lot more tips than wait staff yet nobody seems to complain about that.

Also do these faggots really expect a 20% fucking tip on a slice of cheesecake that costs $8?

Bitch I see the fucking sysco truck, how much did the cheesecake cost you? Three bucks for the whole deal, get like 10 slices of that shit for 8 a pop, making money hand over fist. You want me to pay for half a fucking cake in TIPS just because some mexican took it out of the fridge, and you brought it to me on a plate? Fuck yourself.

Half these shitty middling restaurants like Olive Garden, Macaroni Grille, Outback Steakhouse, etc. get all their shit from Sysco and charge you out the nose for $0.60 of pasta and a sneeze of Parmesan. Tipping you nothing is closer to what it cost for this bland dogshit regardless of how much you can remember my name.

>watch waitstaff because cup is always empty
>on phone fucking around while standing in the corner
>this retard wants extra money for touching my food

enjoy, cuck

To be fair bartenders actually learn a skill, waitstaff just learn to put up with customers. Which, not knocking cause I work in CS myself. but Mixology it aint.

>pouring things into cups is a skill

I mean, you can rationalize it any way you want to.

But you're an asshole.

Can confirm worked at Olive Garden. Only reason I tip is so they don't spit in my food.

I tip (or don't) because I'm a better judge on how i was served than some manager.

You understand that the restaurant has more overheads than just taking a cheese cake out of a truck and putting it on your plate right?

>Olive Garden, Macaroni Grille, Outback Steakhouse

this has to be bait. Are you actually so retarded that you pay to eat at those places? The only reason I would EVER even set foot in any of those places is if someone gave me a gift card, and even then I would probably spend it all at the bar.

You can't complain about the level of service provided by restaurants that are basically McDonald's + waitstaff. The bad service you're enduring is self-inflicted.

#micdrop

Bait

>pouring things into cups is all that bartenders do

there's obviously more to bartending than that, fat fuck. memorizing recipes, learning how to properly mix ingredients, and being able to mix a drink quickly enough to keep assholes satisfied all requires skill.

That said, if your bartender is expecting a tip for popping the top off your Miller Lite, then you deserve to be shamed into paying them that tip because you're a dumbass for asking someone to do that for you. Order a draft or a cocktail. Otherwise, shut the fuck up and sit ALL THE WAY down.

Either make the waitstaff earn their tips, or don't go to places where tips are expected. It's literally that simple.

>#micdrop

that baited me

I work as a prep-cook in a diner and I commend you, my friend. Honestly, fuck these fucking stupid lazy cunts that I have to work with that feel as though their time is more precious than anyone fucking else because they have to "run around all day" and then stand in the back and chug down freebies from the soda-fountain.

Fucking hate those miserable cows and I never hold back keks when they bitch about a shitty/nonexistent tip.

Not an american but spent a lot of time there, I never tipped, I figured with me accent they'd just figure I was fresh off the plane.

The whole tipping system is pretty retarded. I feel like it's main merit was to force people into mental arithmetic, but smartphones have killed that. To be fair, customer service is marginally better in the US than in my home country, but I personally prefer curt wait-staff.
>Thanks for the sandwich but I'm not your friend, now fuck off and leave me to it.

Does Americans chatting with strangers really throw off euros or is that bullshit?

Not euro but the American tendency to strike up conversation with strangers is generally seen as odd though endearing.

>am waiter
>only people who dont tip are black people, young teenagers, and the sort of greasy beta nerds you see in cringe threads
>come on Veeky Forums
>tons of threads with hundreds of replies of people bragging about how they dont tip

spot the nigger/child/sperg

Think of all the jobs out there where people have to bust ass for the customer and they don't even get a single fucking tip.

People who reacted like that in OP's story are fucking retards who've fallen into society's trap of sucking more money out of us.

Tipping is bullshit and should only exist in rare occasions where something goes above and beyond to satisfy you.

>let people know
>conversation at work
>working in some fuckin normie tier houghton mifflin office
Your first three mistakes.

>DUDE I USED TO BE A WAITER
I used to be a dishwasher and never saw a fucking cent of tips, so you can suck my goddamn cock.

But youve already eaten. Who could they spit.

>tfw I tip, but ex-waitstaff friends and relatives try and tell me I have to tip 20%

It's 15%, it will always be 15%, if you want more then you better be approximately 33% better at your job to warrant such a large tip

well it's actually 25% now :^)

I actually wouldn't be surprised if that was the meme they're pushing now

I tip 10% for EZPZ math

They do

A few pizza and chinese places I know always include an option to tip on their receipts. No one brings me food past the counter. I feel like this is just a ploy to get extra money out of me, but I don't feel bad for always crossing out that line when I sign.

Something I despise, though, is ambush charity at a cashier. "Would you like to donate $1 for our company's sponsored charity?" Fuck you. Fuck you. Fuck you. Your public shaming has no effect on a fucking weirdo like me.

I worked as a KP when I was younger I never got any of the tip money so I say fuck it and never tipped anyone after that...

Made 140 bucks tonight from tips.
Good luck with whatever it is you do.

This.
>work FOH at fine dining place
>somewhat regularly make 400+ a night in tips
>laugh at BOH who makes a third of what i make despite working four or five hours longer

>tipping

Do Americans really do that?

The ones that ask to round up to the nearest dollar get me. At least when Im paying in cash.

Yeah, 3rd world problems

>pouring hundreds of different things into a cup well enough to convince people to give you free money for doing it isn't a skill

>live in a place where VAT is 15%
>tip 15% on bills that come with a receipt so I can just copy the VAT
>tip the whole number closet to 10% when it doesn't have a price breakdown
ez

no the point of tips is to give the waitstaff a reason to be nice to customers because most of them hate you as much as you hate them

Can confirm. Two out of my three waitstaff friends all insist that 25% is the norm. The third says "More than 20%." Not around; more.

You will be visited by 3 ghosts one day.

Honestly, not tipping is faggotry.

it's only like an extra couple of bucks

My tipping rules:
Shitty service: no tip/dick ass write in
Meh service: round up so I get neater change
Good service: 10% or so
Great service: 20% or so

what would you consider shitty aervice?

>WAITERS ONLY MAKE 2$ AN HOUR WE MAKE NO MONEY PLEASE TIP WE RELY ON IT DON'T BE AN ASSHOLE

Is said by the same asshole that brags about the hundreds of dollars he/she made in tips last night. Waiters are fucking cancer and you'll know when our country has finally improved when our economy isn't entirely built around the service industry.

I tip a dollar to the bartender for any drink they get me all night. Doesn't matter if I'm swilling 1 dollar natty lights that night, or having them make frozen drinks for my girl. The end result is that at the bars I go to, they know me, pour my drinks stronger, offer me samples of anything new that comes in, give me priority over other patrons, and at my favorite bar, always invite me for any after party. Over the years it';s let me have a ton of influence over everything from what live acts they book, and what drink specials they offer.

I don't even really care about all that shit though. It's just good to take care of the people that take care of you. You should buy a round once in awhile when the bar's a little quiet and it's mostly regulars, as well. It creates a friendlier environment where other will do the same. You get back what you put out into the world. Be a bro and feed the jukebox once in awhile too.

Of course, I'm often described as a high functioning alcoholic, but all 3 of my regular bars have regulars that go out of their way to say hi when I walk in, and my preferred drink at each bar is poured before I've even sat down.

-rude waitstaff
-waiting over 30 minutes, or 45 if it's really busy/ in a party of 6+ people
-wrong order
-again, rude waitstaff

>from burgerland
>living abroad
>working FoH
>tipping is a thing where I work for some reason
>get between $22-$26 wage
>tips are pooled together

I don't really give a shit if people don't tip desu. I would rather keep my own tips because some of the other staff don't really pull their weight, but whatever it's extra cash.

Funny thing is the people who look like they would tip are the cheapest while those dressed inconspicuous tend to tip the most.

that's because chill motherfuckers are awesome, and peacocks spend all of their money on trends trying to impress people. The best regular tipper I ever had was a guy that looked like the Dude, and usually ate alone. After awhile I found out he's some kind of software magnate that could probably buy the place outright without stressing at all. Even when he was entertaining a client he never wore anything more impressive than a polo shirt and the same military issue jacket he always wore.

mods pls delet

I tip when it's deserved.

We dont even have a vat tax in the US.

Pretend i didnt add tax to the end of that.

Sales tax, for all practical purposes is the same thing.

most states in the US have an exemption on sales tax for food. This includes restaurants. Here in ohio any carbonated beverage qualifies for a sales tax, and any dine-in meal is fully taxed. It varies wildly by state. Some municipalities also add a tax that usually has no exemptions.

Fuck waiters and the service staff
they deserve not one fucking penny and if i had a choice i would make their wages 1$ an hour.

it's the most basic job there is in the world yet they just can't stop whining and complaining about the tiniest shit when they in reality don't do shit.

just go to any kitchen in the world and look at both the waiters and chefs, the chefs literally never stop working from the first second they get into the kitchen and until they're done after 4 hours of overtime and that's the norm, meanwhile the waiters just stand around chatting or half-assedly clean the glasses and forks while gossiping the whole entire day until they get an order to deliver in which they deliver it 10 minutes later when it's already cold and stale.

Anyone who actually worked in the kitchen will see how much of spoiled bitches the service really are, but of course society only believe the one who cries the loudest.

Here's the only tip I give and it's reserved for beautiful ladies.

My kitchen staff gets a cut of the tips. The ones that are reported anyways. Our FoH manager used to be kitchen staff, and I've seen him fire waitstaff for not pooling the tips, so I'm pretty comfortable with it all. Maybe you need a policy change?

>pooling the tips
we fight against communism in 'murica.

Only 48% of you

> Olive Garden, Macaroni Grille, Outback Steakhouse
why would you even eat there?

is it that low? Damn, we need a new Joe McCarthy.

depends on who you believe about the popular vote. But shit man. I make the food. I deal with all the nipicky shit a customer might want. Most of the waitstaff is pretty appreciatie that I churn out good food. They're mostly content with the policy. I suppose it would be different if we weren't a from scratch kitchen. Like back when I started out working short order, and half of what we made was pre-portioned that morning, and was just getting reheated, yeah, I wouldn't expect any consideration

as a rule i dont tip, they get paid to do a job, its not my responsibility to make sure they earn a living wage.

However, i can "pay" for special treatment.
At my regular restaurant im on a first name basis with most of the waitstaff and chefs because of tipping. I allways get the best bits and get served before others, they allways give me food to take home for lunch at work the next day.

show them this

i remember working as a server in college and i refused to get a normal minimum wage job because i would straight up make less money. anyone who actually believes servers make shit money is an idiot and a cuck who believes anything they are told

I live in Canada, people still tip here because of autism

Have you ever tried subsisting on minimum wage. I's a bitch.

Im not sure how much a job a literal retard can do is worth. But its not a lot.

Faggot fascist oppressor.

no because i am not a high school dropout

an actual monkey could be a server if there was a big enough hair net

>an actual monkey could be a server if there was a big enough hair net
Even the largest monkeys are only as large as a smallish woman (120lbs)

Maybe you mean apes

At some point, most people mature enough that they can give a shit about their fellow man. Hopefully you get there some day. I'm cheering for you.

>At some point, most people mature enough that they can give a shit about their fellow man.

nice strawman you got there friendo, maybe instead of getting made at your customers you should spend that energy getting your employer to give you a decent wage, find another job, or go get your GED then learn a trade.

I'm a software developer in a 2 income household with no children. I haven't spoken to one of my customers in over 12 years. Frankly, it's likely that I am so open to tipping because I have disposable income.

Liar. What do you do? serve on this guy and his friends on a regular?

And what do you have to show for it?
>every waiter I ever knew always makes more money than everyone else

>every waiter I ever knew paid the lowest rent for a giant apartment

you realize by tipping you are actively keeping a system in place that fucks over everyone except for the people who are making the most money on it because they dont have to pay their employees a fair wage right?

you tipping does more harm than good, everyone were to stop the system would change within 6 months, probably less

>fair wage
low bait Buzzwords

tipping exists because the best person to quantify the service they have received is the customer (ie me).

>live in Seattle
>minimum wage on its way to $15/hr
>some restaurants remove tipping and factor the cost increase into slightly higher prices
>people flip shit

The only way this would be more expensive is if you didn't tip in the first place. Retards.

I tip everywhere but anywhere I frequent I tip more. My barber gets 30%, the coffee shop near me gets 25% and I always tip a couple bucks at my takeout places even though there's been no service. I get a lot of benefits from the places that remember me and yeah, I'm paying for it, but it's not something offered to every customer.

>tipping exists because the best person to quantify the service they have received is the customer (ie me).

not really, tipping is mostly random or predetermined by the customer

also
>fair wage is a buzzword
are you saying that the concept of an employer paying their employee a wage that they can actually support themselves on or at least be consistent is a buzzword? you are pretty fucking stupid man

Until the wage system is repaired, I'm not going to fuck over the people that take care of me. How likely is it that everyone is going to just stop tipping? Hell, even in countries where tipping isn't a thing, it's becoming more prevalent. Your argument on a practical level comes out to saying to a server, "Look, I know you have kids to feed right now. Today. Bills to pay, a life to live. But I'm not tipping you for your own good." It's a stupid argument. If you want to campaign for wage reform, cool, I'm with you. it's a great idea. But people still have bills to pay in the meantime. If you live in a country where tipping is part of the wages, then just assume it's part of the price of going out, and pay it.

>not really, tipping is mostly random or predetermined by the customer
Good, the customer should choose base on the service he has been provided.

>are you saying that the concept of an employer paying their employee a wage that they can actually support themselves on or at least be consistent is a buzzword? you are pretty fucking stupid man

Are you saying a compulsive minimum wage is fair when enforced only with men with guns (ie the government). Men with guns and force are fair. OK stupid man.

What IS fair is what is negotiated between two individuals. Aka the employee and employer. Only stupid people agree to a unfair contract. I'm guessing that's why you need men with guns to help you out of poor life decisions.

I remember when I used to read Rand, too.

that's good. What convinced you to become an authoritarian?

Different guy than And nothing. I'm for tipping. I think it's a great reward system for good service. My best bro's wife makes a great living as a server.

I gt away from Rand because like any philosophy Objectivism has holes. It's certainly part of my philosophy, but I find that her ardent followers completely miss the parts about voluntary altruism. Frankly the world around me is a better place when I contribute to the welfare of those around me.

>Going from A to B with drinks
>Skill

Pick one

I remember when I was a government addict, too. Then I graduated high school.

>he's such a brainlet he needs coercion to help him make life choices

You, only a nigger would expect to be given free things

Bartenders do more than that, and you would know it if you frequented bars. They make and deliver drinks, sure. They also create new drinks, offer recommendations for the picky fucker that doesn't know what he wants, end up acting as a psychologist for people trying to drown their sorrows, and the better ones do what they can to make sure everyone is having a good time. They are Psychologist, Pharmacist, and Entertainer. I tip my bartenders far better than I tip waitstaff.

please see Bitch, I'm working on a self sustaining homestead specifically because I hate a government telling me what to do with my life. The goal is to stop contributing to the government by getting my tax burden down to just a property tax. You don't know me.

I don't mind, but I despise faked excessive friendliness for financial gain. I expect some hospitality in restaurant but I am definitely not interested in small talk or stupid complimentary bullshit unless you actually mean it, and I can tell.

Americans making conversation with strangers in general is pretty nice though.

I've only been to English speaking countries outside of the US. Australia, New Zealand, Bongland, and South Africa, but in each of those places, if I was sitting at the bar, locals went out of their way to chat me up as soon as they heard my accent. Is it really abnormal for people to socialize? I've never seen it.

>Until the wage system is repaired, I'm not going to fuck over the people that take care of me
that way of thinking is causing the system to not be repaired though, your doing more harm than good

Maybe in the long run, but as I stated, one must deal in realities. People gotta eat. I've signed the change.org petition, which isn't much, but probably far above what anyone refusing to tip, thinking that their completely unobservable by anyone in power microprotest has done.

>People gotta eat.
which is why the law exists that they have to make at least minimum wage or the employer has to make up the difference you moron. you enabling employers to fuck over their servers is whats causing the problem. you are actively preventing the change you want from happening. you are a detriment to fight on giving employees fair wages. you act as if you are helping people but all you are doing is allowing them to be fucked over. that entire mind set is idiotic and you know it

>it's only like an extra couple of bucks

If it isn't necessary then is shouldn't be done.

If it has to be done then it should be compulsory legally.

Tipping is neither of those things and and cannot be justified in anyway.

I'd fire any wait staff that couldn't make it on their tips without me having to supplement it to reach minimum wage. Obviously, they are not good at their job if they can't get tips.

And as I've pointed out, people can't live on minimum wage. If they are on minimum wage, they are getting another handout from the government. I would rather tip for good service so I at least know that they are working for it. Tips are claimed as income, and can push them over the assistance limit. And as I nearly always pay using a card, there is a record of the transaction, so I know it is getting claimed.

It isn't the norm in Europe (this seems to be the trend in the dozen or so countries I've visited) but not uncommon, especially younger people will occasionally chat with you. Americans and to a lesser extent brits seem to go out of their way to socialise though. I personally don't mind because I'm a fairly open person and with a few drinks in me I do the same. However I can see a more closed person not enjoying that, seeing as it isn't the norm.

Setting is also very important, when staying in a hostel or something it's very easy to chat with others. When on a tour group or sightseeing not so much.

You also need to realise that not everyones English is perfect and a lot of people find it embarrassing that they can't speak it fluently. You also don't really know if the person you're talking to is going to understand you.

Like I said it's not uncommon to socialize, but the way Americans tend to do it is a lot different and IMO less subtle.

man you are so dense that there is actually no point in arguing with you. you literally just agreed it would work and now you want to flip flop because it would cause people to have to find new jobs for a bit even though it would benefit everyone greatly at the end of it all. you are so logically inconsistent its actually amazing. well do what you want i guess, i dont work as a server so it doesnt effect me and im not going to start tipping now. keep on enabling employers to fuck over their employees though im sure a hand out from you is just a million times better