Roommate thinks all human behavior can be accurately predicted by statistics

>roommate thinks all human behavior can be accurately predicted by statistics

fucking STEMfags

frogposter thinking his opinion matters

There's a meme in society of some kind of entrepreneurial post-capitalist industrial-scientific "productivity" thing, and they are expressing the meme because they are demi-conscious memebuoys floating on a slurry sea of currents you can only see if you zoom out.

It's exhausting even trying to give an answer to this question. You need to like phenomenologically bracket every single word and write a book explaining that they aren't even people. They aren't even conscious. They aren't even having "opinions". STEM people are like robots with human skin stretched over them. To say "they are dismissive of the humanities" is implicitly to admit I think there's a "they". STEM people don't even fucking exist. They are a statistical gaseous nebula of random particles wafting across continents and periodically expressing junk they picked up along the way. Why would you even talk to them?

Talking to a STEMfag is literally like being some kind of Buddha, ascending reality, then coming back down and talking to bees who were dudes in past lives. I'm sure these bee niggas can be saved or whatever, but let's just wait until they're back in human form. Don't walk around going "BEES, STOP BUZZING, PUT DOWN THAT POLLEN, LISTEN TO ME ABOUT HOW EVERY CONCEPTUAL CATEGORY YOU HAVE FOR EVEN THINKING OF THINGS WAS SHAPED FOR YOU BY AN UNCONSCIOUS SLUDGE OF MEMETIC POLYALLOY THAT FLOWS IN PREDICTABLE CURRENTS FROM YEAR TO YEAR THROUGH THE HIVE IN WHICH YOU WERE CONCEIVED"

This copypasta is great because it's true

It's too bad the last sentence is so clumsy. "Bee niggas" deserved a stronger finish.

>nothing matters because space is big xDDDDD

STEMfags truly are the worst

He is right.

It's a stupid viewpoint because the whole point of statistics is to give insight into the probabilities that someone will do something, not that they will do something with utmost certainty. Statistics show trends and are useful to predict the greater likelihood of events and understand why they happen... but no statistician would ever say that their findings prove something will happen 100% of the time.

It can -- with a certain degree of probability.

I remember reading a short story with this premise. The main character finds statistical regularity in crimes and can predict where, when and which type of crime will happen. He intends to give that knowledge to the police, but while he is confirming his model (ie, predicting crimes and seeing if they really occur) he comes across an irregularity, a crime that shouldn't have happened. Soon the statistical pattern of crime is completely disrupted, and the story ends with the MC murdering a man in an attempt to restore the regularity.

>tfw statistician
>tfw people horribly misunderstand statistics
>tfw people honestly think statistics can predict individual behavior or traits

Here's a fun mental exercise. Take all the statistical averages for a human male and then try to combine then into the image of a single person. Average intelligence, average height, average pant size, average weight, average evening with absolutely no deviation.

No one like that actually exists

Anyway fuck off faggot my ability to leverage my mental capabilities to make money is just as valuable, if not more so, than your ability to mentally masturbate on Veeky Forums

Yeah but no.

Shit sounds pretty wild. Anybody know the name or author?

In statistical physics you can show for a system with very many degrews of freedom that, while you can't reasonably predict every path of every particle, for very very large numbers the probability that your system deviates sinificantly from the mean is practically vanishing.

So, given that we could metricise human behaviour in some form, an that these large numbers of degrees of freedom exist, we might be able to predict human behaviour at some point.

It's not very useful though, you can't predict when someone special invents something new, or someone special writes a new book. Also human societies seem to act chaotic in their behavior, so that approach might be completely worthless.

STEMfag out

It was by Pavao Pavličić, "Dobri duh Zagreba" (The Good Spirit of Zagreb). He's a Croatian author, I doubt the story was translated into English. It was adapted into a movie ("Rhythm of a Crime"), so if you can't find the story you might find the movie.

Doesn't he know life is a magic story and you are really special and deserve a strong man to treat you like a princess?
Fucking STEM fags...

Narrative believers (arts majors) dissing STEM is like Islam saying the west exploits women more than them.
It's like c'mon dude you're not getting killed for being a raging psychopathic zealot and essentially an apeman, why you gotta try and ac like you're winning now?
Just take the L and be glad you're allowed to live, don't try and fucking claim superiority over the people that fund/humour your existence.

I don't understand this metaphor, aren't the muslims winning?

Read the whole post it clearly means muslims pretend they treat women better than the west and yesz they are winning in general but not in this clearly stated context of equal rights for women.
Why are you on the Veeky Forumsboard if you have troublereading?

Don't talk to the autistic, OP

>No one like that actually exists
You don't say. What a revelation, user. Truly we have a master of statistics in our midst. I bet you make a lot of money off of insights like that and your presence here on Veeky Forums is a mere accident, a short tryst between two bouts of money making.

wining by population* notin general. literally oe european country has more wealth/schools/technology than every muslim country and they literally only export oil and basically manufacture nothing (nocars, tech etc..)so they're not really winning at all but there's a lotof them and they're ruthless so that's something.

Here is why: There are 57 member-countries of the
Organisation of Islamic Conference (OIC), and all of them put together
have around 500 universities; one university for every three million Muslims.
The United States has 5,758 universities and India has 8,407.
As per data collected by the UNDP, literacy in the
Christian world stands at nearly 90 per cent and 15 Christian-majority states
have a literacy rate of 100 per cent.
A Muslim-majority state, as a sharp contrast, has an average literacy
rate of around 40 per cent and there is no Muslim-majority state
with a literacy rate of 100 per cent.
Some 98 per cent of the 'literates' in the Christian world had completed
primary school, while less than 50 per cent of the 'literates'
in the Muslim world did the same.
Around 40 per cent of the 'literates' in the Christian world attended
university while no more than two per cent of the 'literates' in
the Muslim world did the same.
Muslim-majority countries have 230 scientists per one million Muslims.
The US has 4,000 scientists per million and Japan has 5,000 per million.
In the entire Arab world, the total number of full-time researchers is
35,000 and there are only 50 technicians per one million Arabs.
(in the Christian world there are up to 1,000 technicians per one million).
Furthermore, the Muslim world spends 0.2 per cent of its GDP on
research and development, while the Christian world spends
around five per cent of its GDP.
Conclusion: The Muslim world lacks the capacity to produce knowledge!
Totally winning aye guys.

sounds really similar to Dick minority report

Either human behavior is magic, or the degree of uncertainty in predicting human behavior is simply unsatisfactory for you. This means the methodology or data collection process for arriving at the predictions is faulty; rather than human action not obeying laws of causality.

Thanks a lot, mr Science. None of that would have been obvious to anyone without you spelling it out for everyone in the thread. Gee wiz.

I'm guessing you're a stemfag considering that you don't seem to be able to 'read between the lines' so to speak.

unless the laws of causality don't apply to the human mind or are an illusion

Minds don't exist

Which would make human minds magic or human action imaginary.

In the sense of the results of activity in a human brain it does, but not a self like he suggests.

I like shitting in peoples cereal, rather.

Jesus Christ, so many STEMfags in this thread, why do you even come to this board, don't you guys have an entire website to jerk each other off at.

FUCKING stemFAGS GET OFF MY BOARD REEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE

Human behaviour can be predicted in principle, but not realistically. Also the correct discipline would be physics and its derivative (chemistry, biology etc). Not statistics
>inb4 STEMfags REEEE
Kant is also a STEMfag then.

>that one guy who says "the purpose of life is to reproduce"

>mfw it's always someone who never gets laid, probably never has been laid

Actually, Schopenhauer was wildly popular with the ladies in his youth.

Just smart enough not to marry one.

What's the problem? More people knowledgeable about such subjects make us understand better why such opinions in OP are wrong or right and to what extent.

My only problem with most STEM fags is they think the ivory tower exists and that it is strong.
They have the worst of all moral posturing combined with strange never fully explained, only alluded to utopian ideas.
The combination is total mental cucking by the ideology of capitalism " what's it good for"
Plus total "tell me what to care about" teir on the other hand when it comes to actual motivation. Eg companies and government ends up telling them what to study and care about 99%of the time.

Most of them don't think how the culture they grew up in fostered the conditions that made their thinking possible.

I think they are hoping to have spaceships working before the niggers come knocking at the STEM faculty doors screaming about how numbers b rasis.

STEMfags created computers so you can share your bullshit thoughts on the internet.