What came first: blood or the heart that pumps it?

What came first: blood or the heart that pumps it?

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lungfish
youtube.com/watch?v=j-Eb7k87gO0
twitter.com/AnonBabble

dat pic

blood, it all kinda sloshed around first
then a muscle developed to move it around
then some veins to direct it and hormones to tell the veins where to go

Blood, see animals that don't have hearts. Although it should be said that the blood is most likely very different from mammal blood.

But why tho?

as organisms got bigger they needed to transfer nutrients/oxygen around

Because inducing motion via specialized muscles in the liquid makes it far more efficient in delivery and resupply. From there it's just a small step to get semiclosed loops, which again increase efficiency many times over, and then it's easy to get a vessel network.

What transferes said oxygen and why?Why? What is efficiency to muscles?

I've always wondered about the first creature to walk on land.

If you have a bunch of water dwelling primordial creatures, how would one mutate to have lungs that couldn't breath in water, but be able to breath in air, and then still mate to pass on its lung mutation.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lungfish

By breathing air you give yourself a considerable advantage in areas of water that are oxygen depleted.

Do you think if animals keep evolving, will one of them evolve a heart for the lymphatic system?

blood.

As far as I know, lymphatic flow (lack thereof, really) is only an issue if you're sedentary with a very low range of movements, i.e. it's only a large issue for humans
I don't see it having any impact on the evolution of the human race

Interesting enough question though

>What transfers oxygen
Blood cells.
>What is efficiency to muscles?
The more efficiently energy can be delivered to a muscle system, the more work that muscle system can do.

ITT brainlets ask ''what good is half a wing?''

Sedentary creature here. What does poor lymphatic flow do?

redistributes extracellular fluid amongst other things

>Blood cells.
Only in vertebrates.

are you inbred or something?
back to

the blood. to really understand the question you're asking you need to ask "what came first, chemistry or physics"? when you finally understand that they are merely two different ways of looking at the same problem you'll be wise enough to not ask such stupid questions like "hurr whut kame furst?". the heart just speeds up circulation.

let me rephrase:

the heart increases blood pressure, making it possible for blood to be circulated at a reasonable speed throough an organism that is larger than an amoeba, and also has a body which can rapidly change shape and contortion, like a snail, rather than a sea fan, or a tree.

rather than relying on passive osmosis and gravity to do the circulation, you spend some joules on a muscle to pump the shit around for you

youtube.com/watch?v=j-Eb7k87gO0
pretty much this