What do scientists mean when they say race is a "social construct"?

What do scientists mean when they say race is a "social construct"?

Other urls found in this thread:

23andme.com/en-ca/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

Barack Obama is half black and half white. But people always call him black. They never call him white or biracial.

They mean that "species" is a social construct. Just don't know that that's what they mean.

The human race has many constructs. Humanism is one, racism another.

You ever notice a lot of the arguments against race being "real" also apply to the existence of cultures? Difference being no one is going to go in public and declare culture to be a social construct.

They also never call him a mulatto. I always thought that was a cool word.

I guess it isn't "progressive" enough to say "Wa haz the first half-black prezident!"

Yes, the colour of your skin, shape of your skull and nose depend only on culture and are social construct.

All "Scientific" things are constructs.

This, race isn't an actual genetic substance, hence it has no real scientific definition.

Scientists and literate people use haplogroups (Y/mitochondrial).

It is very simple.

Imagine two dogs are right in front of you. One big, one little. You could say that both of them are dogs, and stop there. But you could make more and more and more classification.

Same for turtles. You could say « Oh it is a turtle » and do not give a fuck about the rest.

So with the humans this is the same. You could say « Oh they are humans » or make some classifications because of skin, nose, skull, legs...

They mean that they are living in fear of reality.

This lab sells "social construct" information.

23andme.com/en-ca/

But they sell the actual genetic information, race isn't a thing in genetics.

>race isn't a thing in genetics.

Sure goy, that's why 23andme can tell you exactly how European you are.

Kys.

Fucking falsification of your ideology staring you in the face and you still can't accept it. I bet you're a darkie or a communist.

When I grew up all the teachers told me that we were special and unique. I'm pretty sure that this is a common experience in most people who live in the west. But they also told us that "all people were made equally" or "all people are equal". I always found that to be a bit of a contradiction. I always doubted that humans are created equally but I think we say that they are because saying otherwise would be a huge handicapped to people.

Prove it

>no one is going to go in public and declare culture to be a social construct.
lolwut? I would. Probably anyone would. How could you possibly say it's not?

I think you don't know what a social construct is.

>scientists
>calling things social constructs

kekaroo

>23andme can tell you exactly how European you are
They could as well say how beautiful you are, or how close to Brad Pitt's your face is. It wouldn't make it a thing in genetics though.

What do you want me to prove? It says right on their website that they can tell where your ancestors come from and they prove this all the time by posting the test results. People post their 23andmes all the time on Veeky Forums. Go read a book you stupid nigger.

European isn't a race though. That's why the say race doesn't exist, because grouping is mostly arbitrary.

No. You're talking out of your ass. They know the genetic markers for the European population and they can measure how many you have.

European is literally a race though, and they have subgroupings on 23andme like Northern European and Southeastern European. European = white, you fucking fag.

Race is arbitrary, people just put lines there and there and for example they consider European a race while there are genetic makeup differences between west/east/south etc. The same way you could say include arab into white because why not.

Oh my god, how stupid are you?

I just told you that the genetic markers for Europeans are found in Europe, and only in Europe, and determine who is European/white. That isn't fucking arbitrary. That is scientifically testable.

You just keep repeating what professor Goldstein told you in ethnic studies.

Nigger if those genetic markers are only found in Europe then what happens if I got to fucking America.

European people actually didn't just start existing in Europe and most probably immigrated from somewhere else so why actually say you have European ancestry when your European ancestors don't have their entire tree going back to there.

>Nigger if those genetic markers are only found in Europe then what happens if I got to fucking America.

What do you think happens, dipshit? Do your genes change if you take a plane ride to a new continent?

>European people actually didn't just start existing in Europe and most probably immigrated from somewhere else so why actually say you have European ancestry when your European ancestors don't have their entire tree going back to there.

Actually, if you weren't talking out of your ass, you would know that most European populations have been genetically stable since the end of the last ice age. Cheddar Man is a good example of this.

You're thick. Since you aren't trying to learn anything, I honestly think you are a SJW whose ego is invested in believing race isn't real. Probably a spic of some sort.

>What do you think happens, dipshit? Do your genes change if you take a plane ride to a new continent?
No but they are now in America. And muh genes are somehow magically to be only found in Europe
>Actually, if you weren't talking out of your ass, you would know that most European populations have been genetically stable since the end of the last ice age.
Genetically stable since so why not go further? Why are you missing points so hard? They are European purely because you thought it would be a good point to define it as a race.

BTW I am a slav and apparently white european by your definition

>No but they are now in America. And muh genes are somehow magically to be only found in Europe

You're so stupid it hurts. Their genes come from Europe.

The European population has homogenized since the last Ice Age. That's why it's not arbitrary. That's why the Ice Age is a good point to pick.

Are you a Slovenian or something? Most East Slavs aren't brainwashed into leftism.

>no one is going to go in public and declare culture to be a social construct.

>You're so stupid it hurts. Their genes come from Europe.
Holy fuccccc

Let's say I got to America and there are no other people besides me and some other girl from europe. Let's say I have a specific trait from mutation like ayylmao looking head. I go there and spread my trait a bit too much, let's say natural selection also helps to spread some specific set of traits here. Fast forward some thousands of years and you have a continent of aylmao looking fucks. Now do you say that their ancestry is European because the population came from Europe or are they American cause genetic makeup also changed considerably there.

It's like setting borders between different colors, is that pinkish red just pinkish red or actually pink?
>Are you a Slovenian or something? Most East Slavs aren't brainwashed into leftism.
I literally do what I want. Telling people they are brainwashed for not holding your definition of correct opinion isn't any different from shaming them by other means like calling them racist.

>armchair pseudo-science that has nothing to do with reality

>still hasn't read the 23andme website

>simplified for the sake of example basic paradigms of evolution are pseudo science
>implying I haven't read it
Yes, you can define with some probability where your genetics came from if you know that population with widespread version of gene X existed somewhere and maybe also somewhere else, but it's not the point. The point is arbitrary definitions of race.