People read Sartre

>People read Sartre

There are about a 100 reasons to think Sartre is a complete moron, his philosophy alone, not even referencing his being a tankie and a pedo, that I would argue it's an indisputable fact.

>Misunderstand Heidegger and Kierkegaard
>"existence precedes essence"
>Kill off existentialism for good so edgy teens think it's about le meaning of life is subjective lol
>stupid ass free will arguments
>just copy everything else that he could barely understand without adding anything
>Get BTFO'd by Heidegger
>Despite pretending to read Hegel his philosophy is entirely ahistorical
>Have the gaul to tell Camus that he doesn't understand Kierkegaard (correctly, but whatever)

Normies who like him really fucking annoy me

You'd think he and Simone abusing students together might have been enough to put the normie pseuds off of him, but lo and behold...

>>Have the gaul
clever

I kinda agree, I don't see what's so good about Sartre and why he's mentioned so often. It was probably his implication in politics plus theater.

It's funny how they get a free pass on that, but god help some historical figure if they have a non-modern outlook on race or gender.

It's also muh atheism. There was a guy called Marcel who did the same shit as Sartre (but was less of a tool, though just as boring) but because he was a Catholic-existentialist who happened to have a semi-ok understanding of Kierkegaard he got pretty much ignored.

I'm not fussed about that, because he was materialist scum, but he would be better than Sartre.

It's considered normal for writers to be perverts. Lots of people think de Sade was cool even though his writings are full of pedophilia and rape.

yeah, Sartre is pretty bad
also a bad embarrassingly didactic writer

everyone was a sex criminal in the 60s, and the "radical" french intellectual class is actually extremely authoritarian, you can't say anything against their idols

>Normies who like him really fucking annoy me
that's the actual reason why you dislike sartre and see reasons to think he is a moron

no these are the actual reasons why op doesnt like him
>>Misunderstand Heidegger and Kierkegaard
>>"existence precedes essence"
>>Kill off existentialism for good so edgy teens think it's about le meaning of life is subjective lol
>>stupid ass free will arguments
>>just copy everything else that he could barely understand without adding anything
>>Get BTFO'd by Heidegger
>>Despite pretending to read Hegel his philosophy is entirely ahistorical
>>Have the gaul to tell Camus that he doesn't understand Kierkegaard (correctly, but whatever)

kek

Can confirm from feminist slut who i used to slap strangle choke and spit on. She loved de sade

Sartre was a "rockstar" philosopher. And people incorrectly put him in liniage with Nietzsches because of that.
Truly hes one of the most useless of all popular philosophers not a single thing he wrote is worth reading.

You can't even offer a half-assed defence of him so you simply ignore my solid criticisms of him in favour of the "normie" line? Well aren't you the smart one.

Trips of truth, but they so well embed themselves politically that its either cede the point of be of unfashionable opinion which is academic career suicide

I'm not saying you're wrong about those, but what triggers you is clearly the fact that he's popular

"... he was not a strong philosopher ..." "... not a very good writer either ..."

says who

If he was unpopular you would just say this thread is pointless nobody cares.
Fuck off, not even that guy.

Obviously the issue is bad ideas plus popularity.

actually nobody here really explained why he was bad or wrong

The critics, all of them

Camus is popular. Kierkegaard and Hegel are popular. Heidegger is popular. I like all of them.

Hell, my favourite is Socrates and he's *the* mainstream philosopher. You are grasping at straws, stop being a faggot.

I mean ok

>Kierkegaard and Hegel are popular. Heidegger is popular.
only with qualified people, Sartre is broadly popular, many plebs know and adore him. Hegel not so much.

>only with qualified people, Sartre is broadly popular, many plebs know and adore him. Hegel not so much.

More's the fucking pity. You may as well that Bieber is popular, but Beethoven less so. Doesn't mean the former is better.

>stop being a faggot
then explain why sartre is actually bad
>>stupid ass free will arguments
doesn't look like a good argument

Read Heidegger and Kierkegaard and learn a thing or two about existentialism.

"Existence precedes essence" this is wrong from the get go. He didn't understand a single thing he was talking about.

more like Bieber and Alban Berg

Sartre is probably the first public intelectual of the post-modern world, him on the continental world and Russell on the analytical proved you don't really need philosophy to be a "philosopher" (not that they didn't publish anything of worth, I know Russell is very important for logics), you just need to have some heavy OPINIONS and look like what the public wants a philosopher to look like.

See: Noah and Slavoj

Slavoj is pretty dank tho

He thought essence was experienced through the objectification process and seen as meaningless by an other.
His attempt was to formalise nihilism.

He was literally so retarded he didn't recognize if the objectification process goes the other way his whole theory is destroyed.

He never argued for why the objectification process would be negative always unless we just assume it through bullshit French ennui.

This was foundational to his entire existential theory.

That's why

He later renounced being and nothingness himself and said he wished to be remembered by his plays... Lol

he also renounced existentialism is a humanism. He even knows he's useless.

Not an argument.

I don't argue with idiots. You've never read any of their works, I see no reason to convince someone who will never have a bearing on anything.

He's a bullshitting Slovenian who gets torn apart on Youtube, never mind real life.

manchilds pink fantasy

Noah who?

Probably meant Gnome Chumpsky.

These are two names that the average person has never heard of. It's a self reinforcing cycle. Sartre is discussed so often because so many people know him and no other major philosophers. So many people know him because he's discussed so often and so on.

Plus, he's very quotable.