Aside from its meme status, what does Veeky Forums think of pic related?

Aside from its meme status, what does Veeky Forums think of pic related?

I enjoy it, and I'm still finding new little details in the dialog. Like Bateman noticing that Evelyn's neighbor didn't lock her door, and then half a book later we're just hearing about her having been killed off-screen. The cruise ship also missed me the first two times as well, though i guessed Bateman was responsible for both instances even before i read the details early on.

I'm currently writing a novel about a killer, so it's important that I make sure I don't simply write a clone of AP, or edgy fanfic with no deeper meaning

I think it's vaporwave af, a postmodern classic.

the movie was better

the movie was my little pony compared to the novel, you must have skimmed over the real "juicy" parts of the novel

It was the first char I could really identify with, which scared me a lot so I pretend I havent read it.
Im never going to take off my mask. Nobody is going to know, nobody is going to get hurt. My thoughts and actions are separate, and my actions are generally good, so why do my thoughts matter?
Ill be ok. Thats what I tell myself

I've long noticed that this books detractors are usually infantilized in a most infantile faction. They are accused of being puritans shocked by the violence, or mentally incapable of grasping the themes of materialism, madness, and violence, indeed the banality of Patrick's existence, defined by bad music, extreme wealth, social statues, and graphic murder.

In fact, the book is a one trick pony, the torture scenes are absolutely ridiculous (do explain the symbolism behind drilling a girls mouth with a huge bore to insert a habi-trail), the prose, while compelling at first, is repeated ad-nauseum, and the banality of Patrick's existence is quickly reflected in the novel. The high points are absolutely the pacing in the novel, but in the end it is embraced by the rabid mysoginist, the edgemaster, the Chuck Paluhniuk fan. It is the ultimate "fuck you mom look what I am reading book" and like 120 Days of Sodom (a far better work in every way even when one does not consider its historical placement) it does not merit the praise and placement in the Veeky Forums canon it currently has.

The detractors are mostly feminists. Anyway, it's the funniest book I've ever read. "Look at the poor nigger on the wall, black man is debil."

There is literally nothing wrong with having these kinds of thoughts as long as you don't act on them. Your thoughts are your business. Don't let anybody convince you otherwise.

Stay strong.

>tfw I explained to my father that I have many homicidal thoughts.
>he replied that that is part of being of a man.
Is he right or are me and my dad just kooks?

The detractors on here are not usually feminists. They are usually completely correct critics of Brett Easton Ellis, who never had another worthwhile piece of work after Less than Zero. Also, branding all detractors as "x", especially of such an ultimately flawed book is as I said, infantile. At least the movie had Bale's characterization, this book is simply schlock, with the exception of a very particular 80s elite that few here were a member of.

I think that's part of becoming an adult, even women fantasize about killing people (usually their significant others or their frienemies).

>At least the movie had Bale's characterization, this book is simply schlock, with the exception of a very particular 80s elite that few here were a member of.

What do you mean by this? That it's a terrible book generally, unless you are one of a group of people who lived the lifestyle that Bret Easton Ellis (or Patrick Bateman?) lived, and then somehow it's great?

Its not against specific people, or even people in general.
Its hard to explain.
I cant understand people.
To me they have no emotions and they dont really matter or exist.
The problem is, I dont see why I shouldent kill them. They dont matter, so why not just wipe a few out to see how it feels?
Sex feels like nothing. All the fake friendships I make to get free stuff feel like nothing. Compliments feel like nothing.
I dont hate any specific person enough to kill them. I just kind of have this droning hate for everything that borders on apathy. I dont know what I want, or if I will become violent in the future.
Morphine, oxy, and tram helps a lot. When im around other people im busy building the charade, dressing well, lifting, acting like i like them, smiling being sociable, picking up on every little thing so I can use it to get something from them, but when im alone the mask comes off and drugs help keep the monster sedated so he wont do anything dumb.
Im high as fuck ATM actually. I really shouldent be talking about this, should I?

This book alone made me start using italics in my dialogues, which isn't necessarily a good thing, though I did feel that it added more emphasis (and therefore more emotion) to my talking characters.

That aside, it revealed Patrick to be more of an empathetic personality than in the movie adaptation. I'd watched the film first, so it came as quite a shock to see a detailed side to his loneliness.

You're probably a literal sociopath. I know that that is a meme phrase, but it seems to fit. How do you feel about yourself?

No its not fucking great, but at least it addresses something that exists for that audience, instead of for all you voyeuristic fucks who read it like a hormonal middle aged woman reads loosely veiled erotica.

I think im above most people, though I dont look at myself in a very good light.
I think im better than most normal people but I feel like shit compared to what I COULD be.
I am wasted talent.
And I dont really think im a narcissist.
My lifestyle is befitting of a celebrity. I am good at everything I ever try, and people like me, or at least whatever I am when I talk to them.

Go to sleep, Patrick.

Shitty pop lit. No value whatsoever unless you're a pleb/an American.

Literal sociopath indeed. The lack of empathy renders you unable to intuitively perceive and understand that others have consciousnesses as full and colored as your own. It follows from an utter lack of empathy that you would be a solitary figure in the universe, and everyone and everything else are just props. Hence, all actions against those props, such as murder and manipulation seem legitimate. After all, why shouldn't they? Those 'people' aren't really people in the same sense that you are, right?

I'm not sure how your condition can be 'cured'. Maybe it can be alleviated by expanding your intellectual understanding of the thoughts, feelings and consciousnesses of others? Sociopathy is not binary, but a spectrum, so maybe you can push yourself slightly towards a more humane way of viewing the world?

I think it shows how it's all too easy to mock something by becoming worse than the thing you mock
Be careful what you pretend to be

First it's great, then it's shit, then it's great. It's a one trick pony. It's a great social commentary.

Make up your fucking mind kids.

>Veeky Forums is one person

shut the fuck up bret you fucking stupid old man.

i think that it has a lot more literary merit than what Veeky Forums gives it. Near the end of the book you realize that not only is bateman completely psychopathic, but he's also completely detached from reality and you have to go through the book to try and figure out what is and what isn't real. you could also try to psychoanalyze bateman and the strong hints that he's homosexual.