Is analytical philosophy a joke...

is analytical philosophy a joke? has it ever produced anything of value or had any sort of impact in society or the arts?

Other urls found in this thread:

amazon.com/Black-Book-Communism-Crimes-Repression/dp/0674076087
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/World_War_II_casualties
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/World_War_I_casualties
youtube.com/watch?v=7GpT6ycHoMA
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

>doesnt understand highly complex field of study
>"is it a joke?"

If anything it's too serious for its own good.

please I'd love to know some societal innovations these fools came up beyond some mathematic axioms

yes thought continental philosophy hasn't produced much either beyond amazing bantz

It begat subahibi.

i mean you can argue that we got hegel -> marx -> mao -> modern glorious china

large peasant nations isolated from Europe like Russia and China modernizing exponentially to meet the military and economic challenge of globalism had nothing to do with German pamphlets and everything to do with them being large peasant nations isolated from Europe rushing to meet the military and economic challenge of globalism

even if it would have happened anyway, you can say that at least it served to color it a certain way, which is what i would call influence, i guess you could argue than influence is not "production"

there's been also plenty of influence from many continental authors to plenty of art currents and forms

kek'd and agreed m8.

One might argue that computers are only possible thanks to advances in symbolic logic.

That's not "continental philosophy".

yeah, i will concede that analytic philosophers are pretty great mathematicians, they are just useless when dealing with philosophical problems

in what sense is that not continental philosophy? i mean you can argue that continental philosophy never existed and that's just a term analytical philosophers use to lump of stuff they don't understand, but you know what i mean

I disagree. If philosphy is primarily a language game then the clarity/precision of language advocated by analytics is a useful tool.

what's a game?

>clarity/precision of language

thats in the realm of computer science not philosophy

Mmmmm how about 'a state of affairs modified by players according to formal rules?' I imagine the definition changes based on the context/thinker but that's my best shot.

Doesn't philosophy contain the sciences or am I missing the point of a Derrida joke?

Not him but derrida was very obscure and i personally understood jackshit from his writing nigga like created new words or smthn. He was French after all

not that guy, and i guess in a sense you could argue that philosophy contains the sciences or whatever, but i don't think that's really a valuable categorization nor a categorization that adds any value in the sense that allows us to expand our vision of the sciences nor philosophy

Don't get me wrong, I have a deep love for Derrida despite my inability to understand him. Also what's wrong with the French?

I mean, just on the surface of things, isn't it meaningful to observe that science is an epistemological activity rather than, say, an ethical or metaphysical activity?

how do you get that information from the fact that science could be categorized under philosphy? ethics and metaphysics are also categorized under philosophy so you certainly aren't getting that information from there

Good point. Beats me.

short answer, no
long answer, no
now delete this thread

>is analytical philosophy a joke?
Yes. All philosophy is based on analysis. The distinction that defines "analytic" philosophy doesn't exist, and the name is a misnomer.

It was of considerable importance in my intellectual development, and I will go on to become the best and most representative writer of 21st century America, comparable in imaginative power and technical ability to a Yeats, or at least a Swinburne.

>value
>impact
>society
kek.

shit nigger....
>is
>it
>has it ever produced
>anything
>had any

well, i guess they didnt produce 100s of millions of human corpses, like continental philosophy did. so yeah they have had less impact on society than continentals.

Why does it have to have an impact on the arts for it to be meaningful? Analytical philosophy has been influential in the way philosophers have engaged traditional philosophical problems. If you're looking for wide ranging garbage nonsense on the "human condition" then it's not for you.

>100s of millions of human corpses, like continental philosophy did.
Source?

looks like bertrand russell russelled your jimmies

Post-Hegelian philosophy and the Nazis. Marxism too, perhaps. Idk what user meant.

amazon.com/Black-Book-Communism-Crimes-Repression/dp/0674076087

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/World_War_II_casualties

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/World_War_I_casualties

>post hegelian philosophy
bingo, except hegel is included in the rouges gallery.

germans and german ideas have attempted or succeeded in destroying western civilization 5 times. (6 if you count the reformation, but i'd count that as somewhat constructive)
>rome
>wwi - kulture
>communism
>wwii - nazis
>critical theory/SJWism/poststructuralism

>“Through consciousness (rational) spirit intervenes in the order of the world. This is spirit’s infinite tool, also bayonets, cannons, and bodies.”

>2016
>not supporting spirit's infinite tool

they haven't meaningfully engaged in any traditional philosophical problems, they just invented new pseudo-problems and solved them

your comment can also be read as analytical philosophy is only relevant for analytical philosophers, which was the whole point of the OP, just re-stated as somehow something good

>germans and german ideas have attempted or succeeded in destroying western civilization 5 times.
You can't have it both ways bruh: the west has attempted or succeeded in destroying European civilisation a bunch of times. But if you're going to bring up communism and reformation and so on you're talking about most of north western Europe.

why analytical philosophy is fundamentally wrong in five points:
youtube.com/watch?v=7GpT6ycHoMA

>has it ever produced anything of value

It was the last nail in the coffin for traditional philosophy. It proved that philosophy is now obsolete.

20th century philosophy is essentially fiction.

>drinking the kool-aid this much
what has philosophy exactly been replaced with? science? "common-sense"?

>"common-sense"
This one. Common sense now includes the philosophical approach to dealing with stuff.
(Although it's only really 'common' for people who are educated.)

Yes it's a joke, and no, it's just spooky liberalism. They're all just counter-Hegelian reactionaries.

thanks for proving how drunk with kool-aid you are

Anyone thinking analytic philosophers have been of any importance in the rise of computers is spooked to hell.

t. computer architecture

> analytic philosophers are pretty great mathematicians
They are not. See how pathetic they were in their pretensions when dealt with actual mathematicians. For instance Poincaré and Hilbert trash talking them, Godel on Russel.

Also, symbolic logic =/= analytic philosophy.

>Godel on Russel
Gödel was like a double Wittgenstein.

Thread should have ended here
Yeah analytic philosophy is (generally) for people that are autistic enough to lust for math, but aren't smart enough to actually do it.
The only good that had come from it is from those that criticised it like Wittgenstein, Rorty, etc.