Paranoid literature?

Could you guys rec me anything ominous or creepy and having to do with conspiracies and stuff, preferably MK Ultra

Can be nonfiction or fiction or both

Any Pynchon, good night.

Pynchon's Inherent Vice got pretty paranoid. Dunno about the rest of his work, but I've been meaning to read it.

I should've mentioned I've read every Pynchon. I'm a Pynchon junkie.

Illuminatus isn't really creepy but it's the ultimate in conspiracy books.

Also and Foucault's Pendulum

I think there's already another thread related to this

flow my tears the policeman said is pretty good. Very MK ultra

libra

anything by james ellroy

but you didn't mention that, OP.

why is that?

huh?

Actually most Dick has that paranoid vibe

His writing is awful though.

I dunno, I can't write half as well and I use my fingers

I don't get this. His style is incredibly clean, if anything it's good he doesn't try to overdo it, now THAT'S bad prose when someone tries to be poetic but ends up being awfully purple. His style is no worse than Hemingway's, in fact, he doesn't even care about style or metaphors or poetic rhythm, he just writes perfectly simple sentences that move the story forward.

I understand that Joyce and Nabokov etc can give you pretty high standards for prose, but you can't deny that PKD's books are actually funner than theirs to read. Entirely different philosophies of writing, PKD is more about ideas and plot and themes than style, and sticking in people he knows in real life into his books, which paradoxically creates more realistic and recognizable characters than the hyper-intelligent and eloquent and conflicted characters you find in Shakespeare and Dostoyevsky yet who are derided as being superficial.

dude was tripping on speed all the time

he was like dostoevsky were he didn't have much of a choice (too poor and fucked up) but to churn out 'unpolished' works

I actually admit this and think it to be a great comparison, especially because Dostoyevsky's prose in the original Russian is supposed to be pretty bad, but it doesn't detract from the fact that Dosty's works are classics and very psychologically powerful.

A Scanner Darkly is his masterpiece because he wrote it very slowly, you're right in that respect that the ones he wrote quickly are less well-produced. VALIS and his post-mystical-experience books are a notch above many of his other ones too because he wrote them slowly and dedicatedly without speed (heh, unintentional pun), so you're right that the ones he wrote on amphetamines are much shoddier. They're still fun to read and can have incredibly interesting plots and ideas, though.

i don't care that they're not polished and i don't think less of pkd or dostoevsky because of it

i'll get around to reading more of pkd...he kind of freaks me out

is Man in the High Castle good?

>is Man in the High Castle good?
of the 20 or so pkd books i've read it is honestly the one i enjoyed least

well, thanks

I'll check out A Scanner Darkly and Valis.

and those are my two favorites

enjoy

Industrial Society and Its Future

I'm kinda an authority on phil kindred dick and so I am obligated to point out that valis is boring

>valis is boring
>I'm kinda an authority on phil kindred dick
clearly you are not

It's his most boring book except arguably the man in the high castle. I won't say that the book is worthless, but it lacks the fun and charisma of his other works.

nah you're a pleb

it's the most fun i ever had woth phil k dick

It's basically a less interesting version of his biography. If you really like it then you probably don't generally like his works.

To be more productive, I recommend Ubik, The Three Stigmata of Palmer Eldritch, A Maze of Death, and The Game-Players of Titan.

but i do.

I'll try not to judge you too harshly for your bad taste... but make better recommendations. You might claim that valis is exceptional, but you certainly can't say that it's exemplary.

Looking for the General by Warren Miller

Don't really have anything to contribute, but Zappa is tryhard garbage. Good night.

New York Trilogy.

> "tryhard garbage"

> released sixty albums

you're right. he should have devoted his life to stuffing cheetos into his face and shitposting on Veeky Forums, desu ne?

>he should have devoted his life to stuffing cheetos into his face and shitposting on Veeky Forums, desu ne?

This line doesn't work when you are literally shitposting on Veeky Forums too you triggered dadrock dork.

A Scanner Darkly made me paranoid. Gets you into the mindset very well.

Not that guy but
>Zappa
>Daarom
I still have to find one dad who listens to Lumpy Gravy or Were only In It For The Money