Why do we take this fat faggot's word as gospel again

He said DFW had no discernible talent then goes on to praise Dickens.

I have no problem with that opinion.

dickens is spectacular you child

We don't.

He's some weirdo who self appointed himself as the canon's guardian. While he has some insights, many are borrowed from Frye, Johnson, and Borges, and what little he offers is marred by overly strong statements that fall apart like jenga blocks when examined.

hard to compare dickens and dfw.

Dickens was a master of the craft and fully captured the zeitgeist of 19th century England, although one could argue his novels lacked psychological depth

DFW can hardly be considered a master of the craft, and he might have trying too hard to have psychological depth in his works, but i think he does an equally good job of capturing the zeitgeist of his own time in AMerica

He's just a turgid Jew OP, nobody cares what he says.

do you think dave would have liked pepe

Dickens was better than Wallace by virtually every metric, and if you can't recognize this then you're a pseud, plain and simple.

Bloom and Veeky Forums are a lot alike in that thay both like to complain about books they haven't read.

probably

i dont see the issue here OP.

At least Veeky Forums creates memes. There's no way Bloom could be that good.

Bloom is responsible for 'no discernible talent' you imbecile

He was a liberal so he probably wouldn't "get" Pepe.

No, Veeky Forums is responsible for that.

>thinking pepe is limited by your tiny little political mind.
Pepe is beyond such trivialities.

>Why do we take this fat faggot's word as gospel again
>He said DFW had no discernible talent then goes on to praise Dickens.

Let's be honest, the only reason Bloom hates DFW is because DFW made fun of him in Infinite Jest.

I always thought this, Bloom is an incredibly emotional man. Someone as well read as him has to be insecure, especially when he himself has no discernible talent.

he did?

He also says that Thus Spoke Zarathustra was an unreadable mess.

>Sterling Professor of Humanities at Yale
>holds literally the most prestigious position in his field
>just some weirdo

Kinda trggrrd teebz.

Because it is. He cites Nietszche all the time, regardless.

theres a throwaway footnote that called bloom's work "turgid" in IJ

I never got far enough in the book to see it. Someone show me.

found it
>366 Sounding rather suspiciously like Professor H. Bloom's turgid studies of artistic influenza — though it's unclear how either Flood- or dead-ancestor discussions have any connection to S. Peterson's low-budget classic The Cage, which is mostly about a peripatetic eyeball rolling around, other than the fact that J. O. Incandenza loved this film and stuck little snippets of it or references to it just about anywhere he could; maybe the 'disjunction' or 'disconnection' between the screen's film and Ph.D.'s scholastic discussion of art is part of the point.a

>a. (Which of course assumes there's a point.)

>Why do we take this fat faggot's word as gospel again
We don't, he's just a meme. A lot of people make fun of him. Some stuff he says and opinions he holds also are pretty cool, either that or they agree with what you believe, so then posters like to use him as an authority who backs them up.

His literary criticism is actually massively ambitious (an entire work with an essay analyzing every play of Shakespeare, a work going over 100 deceased literary geniuses, a work about the Western canon) and also very abrasive, erudite, and, finally, well-written stylistically.

In a sense, it's actually fun to read, so that's also why he's a meme. Besides the fact that he's probably one of the most well-known literary critics of today, and can also hold some pretty funny, controversial opinions. He hates identity politics, too, so that's a plus for many people on Veeky Forums.

Okay, thanks. And now I remember why I put down this book.

>artistic influenza

> While he has some insights, many are borrowed from Frye, Johnson, and Borges,

Spot-on.

> what little he offers is marred by overly strong statements that fall apart like jenga blocks when examined.

Just look at his analysis of Hamlet. Wow, it's fucking nothing.

I only got through it by ignoring le quirky endnotes

P R A I S E KE K

Apparently the walrus cared because he killed himself over it.

They're both shit desu

Bloom is an insufferable snob, and though nobody can deny his influence, it's been over 20 years since The Western Canon and Anxiety of Influence. He was important in the canon wars, when radical academics wanted to throw out all dead white men, but he's far from perfect, and now he's freaking 86. I tend to go straight to Frye more than Bloom these days.

Frye>Bloom

Bloom would probably agree tbf

WILL N E V E R READ THIS TRASH

He wasn't a liberal at all.... He was conservative.

Why is /lit so gay for DFW and Pynchon?