Going to start my apprenticeship tomorrow as a cook. Anything I should know?

Going to start my apprenticeship tomorrow as a cook. Anything I should know?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=GgiK-HWKPjw
twitter.com/AnonBabble

Dont fuck it up.

best thing someone could tell you

And dont put fucking knife down the sink

Where did you fuck up in life that you had to take a manual labor blue collar job? Why didn't you go into a higher class skilled trade like plumbing/electrical/HVAC?

In high school and then after high school by being a NEET for a few years.

Data center guy here, good contractors will KILL for good HVAC guys.

kitchen work is busy work mostly, with super busy times during lunch/dinner if you work the line.

Just remember it is more like a marathon than a sprint. Relax, listen to your boss, pay attention to what you are doing and lastly don't start/encourage drama and you will be fine.

You will probably start hating the waitstaff when they flash huge wads of cash in your face and complain about everything & get orders wrong you have to remake.

Find the biggest guy in the kitchen and punch him in the face off gate. This will establish dominance and show the others that you are not to be fucked with.

Not the content but the attempt made me laugh. Is it loneliness that makes weebs desire to be the funny ones in the internet group? You shall be appreciated likewise.

>be wait staff
>make more money in 4 hours than kitchen cucks do in an 8 hour shift
>some bitch cooks the food wrong
>go back and tell him to make it again but to actually do it right this time
>he gives a bunch of lip but ends up making it again like a good little cuck
>go back out to the FoH and flirt with cute customers until they give me money

honestly kitchen staff are the most cucked bitch made fags on the face of the planet

>being this ass blasted of an image

your life is a sad one

>Relax, listen to your boss, pay attention
/thread

I appreciate waitstaff since I don't really want to deal with customers directly.

Just take your chef knife and end it now. The other option is kill yourself slowly with drugs and alcohol

I don't have the energy to take the 15 minutes to sharp my chef knife on the whetstone.

Like I said this is the type person/waiter/waitress you will have to deal with working in the kitchen.

> waiter not smart enough to remember order correctly, wants you to make it over when customer tells them they did it wrong.

enjoy your descent into drug and/or alcohol dependency

I'll tell you what the sous chef told me:
You want to make it big in the industry?
bend over and spread it.
Wanna take the short way out?
turn around and tell them to suck it.

you're such an unbelievable baka

Is everyone in the industry a bitter asshole like that?

It's a hard lifestyle, think about it.
You will pretty much be working every Friday & Saturday night.

It is rewarding making good food, but you literally never stop moving when it is busy.

The waitstaff will probably make you crazy.

After a few years you will either open your own place or look around and ask yourself why am I doing this when my friends seem to have it so much easier in other careers.

Yeah you should know how to apply for better jobs.
It takes a special kind of fuckup to make it in a kitchen in the long run.

If you like what you do, you don't work a single day in your life.

Don't you have any souls at all to say stuff like this? The job may be hard but it looks like most people on this site are scared to work even a single day of honest work in their lives.

I've worked in a kitchen for five years.
Sorry but that's how it is.

Most people in this situation would be way better off operating a forklift in a warehouse or something.

OP here. It's pretty funny since I was a worklift operator. The work was mindless and easy as fuck. I just killed valuable lifetime in there. Even if working in the kitchen is hard and the pay is shit the job is at least interesting to do and you gain more skills for your life than you do while operating a fucking forklift or some shitty office job.

>the job is at least interesting to do and you gain more skills for your life
Prepare your expectations to be well and truly smashed.

Enjoy peeling potatoes and cutting onions for days on end in the hopes that maybe one day you end up having the opportunity to cook well done steaks.

At least something to look forward to and a goal to work towards to, not to mention cutting onions and peeling potatoes is far more complicated and challenging than operating a forklift.

Just do yourself a favor and learn an actual trade m8
No problem working in a kitchen until you're qualified, which is what I did, but I just want to get the point across that only a very small part of cooks can keep doing this and still liking it

Doing that was by far the best decision of my life.

>still like it*
Fuark

>open your own place

DING DING fucking DING.

Some people on Veeky Forums love to talk shit on cooks (despite being a cooking board? weird)... about how it's this horrible job and you must be a degenerate if you do it.

1. there is no substitute for restaurant work if you are deeply passionate about cooking. you are surrounded by food all day and get to do what you love, which is cook and create dishes.
2. if you are smart, hard-working, and NOT a degenerate fuck-up, you will one day open your own place and perhaps become a famous or even legendary chef.
3. these people on Veeky Forums ALWAYS assume that you work in some shit-tier bar & grill where the food isn't interesting or is downright bad. that may be true, but it doesn't have to be true. there are great restaurants to work at, especially if you live in a city.

Anyway, moving on..

For your stage (apprenticeship)

>keep a positive attitude always
>have a sense of urgency
>be reliable, be on time
>read the recipes all the way through before you execute them and use the exact measurements
>ask questions if you think you're about to do the wrong thing. some people in kitchen are cunts, but there will be some good people willing to help you.
>learn the layout of the kitchen. where to find sheet trays, where to find vinegar, where to find everything you need
>acquire a sharp knife if you don't already have one. also learn to sharpen it. you're gonna be doing a lot of knife cuts.
>also, learn to be patient, yes you will spend a lot of days doing "non-cooking" tasks like using a blender or grating cheese, but realize that your job is just as important for the restaurant as the guy cooking on the line
>always call out "behind" when you're behind somebody, "corner" when you're about to go around a corner where you might run into somebody, "hot" if you're moving through the kitchen with a hot tray or pot in your hand, "sharp" if you're moving through the kitchen with a knife
>store food in appropriate-sized containers

all for now gl

I'm in the same boat as OP, except I'll be working in a dining hall at a uni near me. That means 11-7 or 12-8 on weekdays. I've known the chef for years and he's a complete bro too. I know I'm going to have to work my ass off and learn a lot, but I'm willing to do something other than stocking shelves

steward here. play nice or no clean towels, fuccboi.

>kitchen steward
lel that ancient shit still exists?

yeah. bossman pays us more than commis because he says 'i can get a basic cook anywhere. i have a backlog of diploma-waving idiots fresh out of the cookie-cutter a mile long. what i can't do is find reliable people to do stewarding. if you put in the time and effort, i'll try to make it worth for both of us.'

after a year or two he'll generally offer you to shadow a particular station for another year, so he can skip commis and graduate you to a station immediately when an opening occurs (if you want to do that).

If it is without gravy, you don't belong in the navy. popular restaurant theme. Also if those potatoes aren't mashed your riding home in the dash, popular new york and so.

Mowing lawns is also hard and honest work, fuck doing it for life though.

Befriend the porters and you'll have everything cleaned and brought to you personally very fast

>he gives a bunch of lip but ends up making it again like a good little cuck
>go back out to the FoH and flirt with cute customers until they give me money

>honestly kitchen staff are the most cucked bitch made fags on the face of the planet

even though this guy is probably a tiny dick loser with no job skill, hes right.
the effort cooks do compared to the FoH and the reward each get is laughable
cooks pretty much are the cucks of restaurants

youtube.com/watch?v=GgiK-HWKPjw

thank me later, dude

It feels good to work in a place where I actually get along with waitstaff. I guess it's because they're all kind of scummy like the kitchen crew.

pretty much everything right here.

All I can add to this is that you will work like a fucking dog, so I hope you are ready for that.

Oh and find a solid, waterproof pair of kitchen shoes. I have Mozo's and they are fantastic. You will be on your feet, on paver stone for 8-12 hours a day, usually standing in some sort of gross shit. Protect your feet and your back.

these are what i have. they're pretty boss if you can stand the break-in period.

My old boss loved Dansko's but I didn't really like how stiff they were, or the height of the sole. My mozo's are high tops which gives me ankle support which I need, plus I was FoH bar manager so I was running back and forth all the time and they just worked well for me.

Basically anything other than shoes for crews, those things are absolute crap.

I have the same ones and can confirm the break in period is a bit grueling. If I had to do it over I'd take them out of the box and throw them in the dryer for 30 minutes to beat the shit out of them before using at work.

After that though they're great.

Looks like the wooden shoes those Dutch fairies wear

Stay focused, don't do drugs.
I fucked up mine by being a drug addict

Close. Danish fairies in this case.
Dansko = Danish + Sko (the word for shoe in Danish)

Fuckin knew it