In engineering physics class

>in engineering physics class
>"I'm going into mechanical engineering, why do I need to know this?"

they're just the people who are gonna drop out user.

I'm in senior year, math with engineering minor. no one asks why they're here at this level. all the brainlets either studied so hard they could be competent or they dropped out of the program entirely.

I could understand asking this in CE, but mechanical engineering? Fucking why?

>studied so hard they could be competent

This is me. Knowing I'm a brainlet makes me study 10x as hard. I have straight A's, great GPA (not sure what it is off the top of my head) just about to finish up sophomore year. I came in a complete brainlet from HS with a 2.5 GPA. Given time people either shape up or drop.

>Knowing I am a brainlet

This is a contradiction. If you are a brainlet you shouldn't be smart enough to know you are a brainlet.

Therefore you don't exist as your existence would contradict the Wildberger theorem of brainlets.

>in de
>"How can mu of x be x^2? I thought it had to be e^x?"

because apparently no one ever told them that charges don't stop existing just because they're not an electrical engineer

silly user of course charges don't exist if you ignore them! that's what newton did and he was a GENIUS!!!

I have a theory about that:

I think that people who fundamentally don't think about how things around them work have no conception that every machine and every computer and everything around us in the end conforms to physical laws that we have to exploit or use to our advantage if we want to build better machines.

I think that those people think about things completely seperately in terms of "this is physics because we cover it in physics class" and never understand that physics isn't "that useless class I had in school" but it's connected to every aspect in our lives and every other field of knowledge.

They don't understand that the distinctions between different fields of knowledge are almost arbitrary and definely more on a spectrum and not rigidly defined lines.

My IQ is somewhere between 95 and 105, am I a brainlet?

Why do you know or care what your IQ is?

I thought it correlated with mathematic skill.

>charges don't exist if you ignore them
is that why the statute of limitations exists?

IQ has literally nothing to do with anything, stop falling for Veeky Forums's retardation

CE? What the fuck?

Conformité Européenne.

I know what CE is. My problem is why would he say that physics is useless for CEs?
I mean, I'm a CE and basically if you don't do a certain amount of EE stuff, where you should know your physics unless all you do is blinking a LED, then you're fucking retarded for going into CE.

CE stands for Civil Engineering not Computer Engineering. That's CoE

I thought it was chemical engineering

That's ChE

>Chem E
>I don't like chemistry
like, why the hell are you here?

>math major
>"I don't like math"
wtf

>in a band
>can't play an instrument or sing
What are you doing, lad?

>on Veeky Forums
>doesn't watch anime
Who does this

What you described is exactly the difference between a good engineer essentially an experimental physicist in a way and a bad engineer who cries in a cubicle telling people how all that shit he learned in school is useless.

I have never seen anyone with significant competence who hates physics in a related field or for that matter anyone who can skip understanding it.

Lot of those guys who start their education saying shit like OP described drop out though.

I think that everything is useless if you're too stupid to use it. This applies to everything and everyone.
The abbreviation I usually see for Computer Engineering is CompE, yet yours is just as clear.
Me. ^^

>studying Aeronautics Engineering
>I dont even give a flying fuck about planes or any vehicle capable of flying.

What else is there for me?

Then why are you doing it? I mean if you aren't interested in aerodynamics and/or aircraft engines then why are you doing AE?
Switch to ME.

I

I mean... I guess I like physics and math hehe...

>In Human Osteology
>"I'm going to be an archaeologist, why do I need to study bones this hard?"

>In Cultural Anthropology
>"I'm doing Sociology, why should I care about this shit?"

>Every Biology course ever
>"I wanna be a Doctor, why does 90% of the material not cover humans?"

Well from that standpoint if it allows you to do enough math and physics of the kind you like then why not continue doing it?
Just work in a subfield of AE where you can do the kind of thing you like even if some parts don't interest you.

Being completely honest with you, I am doing terrible. I am still learning the basics of the math required to understand aerodynamics, because none of the teachers even teach their stuff (and I even doubt they know vector calculus).

If I could tell you something I am interested in is electronics, so everything related to electronics systems in aircraft, or, rockets, missiles, or satellites, I really like satellites.

But, in general, I am failing classes left and right tho, due to a lack of studying.

If you're worried about mathematical skill, then focus on developing that. IQ is a strange and hideous beast. Its only clinical application is the diagnosis of developmental disorders. It is not a useful tool for comparing intelligence between smart people.

That being said, I used to score in the 120-130 range as a high school student. Since obtaining my math degree, I have only scored 160+. This is because my focus has improved tremendously, not because I have become more intelligent.

>Being completely honest with you, I am doing terrible. I am still learning the basics of the math required to understand aerodynamics, because none of the teachers even teach their stuff (and I even doubt they know vector calculus).
>because none of the teachers even teach their stuff
Oh, man, that's terrible. I know that feeling though, you should try to find some way however hard it may be. Even compliment your lectures with something like khanacademy and youtube videos.
>But, in general, I am failing classes left and right tho, due to a lack of studying.
That sounds like a personal issue though. Something inside your head.

I can't give specific advice because I don't know your whole situation, but all I can say is that there are likeminded individuals out there who also find shit interesting and especially if you're a freshman you can easily get discouraged by having shitty teachers. Just try to find something positive and try to focus.

>If I could tell you something I am interested in is electronics, so everything related to electronics systems in aircraft, or, rockets, missiles, or satellites, I really like satellites.

Maybe EE would be a better fit for you. I know that AEs learn some stuff about control systems though. On the other hand you will know flight dynamics better than an EE unless he or she studies it on her own. I'm saying this because of the satellites remark, lot of EE design goes into a satellite, especially if we talk about telecommunications (RF systems, wave propagation, etc.)

Most engineers end up being software engineers or professional spreadsheet fillers, so ya why does he need to know that shit

This actually somewhat confirmed a theory of mine.
I always thought that someone who masters a lot of abstract concepts and has good concentration can easily score higher on IQ tests, not because he is inherently that smart, but because he already met with most of those concepts considering that most IQ tests have abstract tasks for you to solve.

I mean abstraction is useful for problem solving and making models and math deals with a lot of abstract stuff, so having a math background is like the clear winner for taking an IQ test, especially if you can "apply" what you learned easily in a broader sense.

In other words learning and absorbing abstract concepts will make you a better problem solver thus having a higher score on an IQ test.

So probably all those math PhDs (or any other very smart people) didn't have that high IQ to begin with instead the amount of abstract concepts they learned paired with an increase in focus is what allows them to score higher.

Bottom point: just because you don't score 120 on a IQ test it doesn't mean that after having learned a lot of shit you won't score a lot more than 120 if you're the type of person who can internalize the concepts he or she learned.

So in this way what does IQ measures? Does it truly measure your innate ability or does it only measure what you know at that moment depending on the person?

I mean most smart people probably score higher regardless, it's just not the same whether they score simply higher than average or genius level fucking high.

ChemE

>TL;DR

Don't worry about it. If IQ was a reliable predictor for success of any kind, then every job application would include an IQ test. Maybe you got a low score, but just ignore it and focus on developing your interests. Look up Rick Rosner and Chris Langan, who had the two highest IQs in America. They were each the subjects of respective episodes of Errol Morris's "First Person" documentary TV series, the entirety of which is worth watching. Rick Rosner has OCD, which controls his life, and Chris Langan has a massive superiority complex. Neither of them has ever contributed anything to society.

>then every job application would include an IQ test

but a bunch of them do.

That's unfortunate, and I'm glad I've never encountered this. If I was handed an IQ test at a job interview I would walk the fuck out, regardless of the fact that I would score 140 on a bad day. Can you give some examples of organizations which do this?

>at a restaurant
>a literal fetus sitting in table next to me
>Still feeding through cord (mom is an outtie), digestive system still not fully developed
Why did he come here?

Have you taken at least up to the level of math that I've taken?

Not the user you're asking about it, but in my country, Poland, literally every job interview - doesn't matter if it's about working on production line or being a CEO - starts with an IQ test. And it's a retarded one, to be more precise.

That's tragic

kek

I graduated highschool without even reaching trig, so no. I'm fucked

Kek. That's like basic shit, m8.

As for IQ, see my posts here and here As for high school math, I will tell you that I failed algebra, trig, and precalculus in high school, only to go on and obtain a bachelors degree in mathematics with honors from a mid tier university, with a pretty prestigious internship along the way.

If you are dedicated, and you're not mentally handicapped, you will triumph. I know a number of students than whom I was much quicker to learn, but whose GPAs ended up being higher than mine. One of those students was also working full time every semester.

TL;DR motivation is everything.

Is this a well-disguised pollack joke?

Poland is a special case. A significant proportion of Polish people are clinically retarded so mandatory IQ testing makes sense from a public health perspective, just like getting a flu shot makes sense if you work at a hospital.

literally everything in physics is just functors between weird categories

Honestly just start from the very basics and keep doing a bunch of exercises of every subject, even if they feel trivial or easy just keep doing them and then moving on to the next thing after like 15-20. It seriously builds up and you can learn everything taught on high school level easily in a month.

>all the brainlets either studied so hard they could be competent or they dropped out of the program entirely.

>first semester after transferring from a CC
>couldn't do Physics or Intro to EE
>CompE major
>fuck it, I'll do accounting instead
>cry myself to sleep knowing that I'll never be an engineer

which has more potential for dosh for less effort
civil , mechanical or chemical engineering?

We call that fizzbuzz here

If you have to ask...

What is the meaning of "brainlet"???

>What is the meaning of "brainlet"???
Look in the mirror, and ask that question 3 times. The answer will appear to you as an apparition before your very eyes.

>less effort
>engineering
Kill yourself

I said less, not zero