What are some Veeky Forums approved trades?

What are some Veeky Forums approved trades?

trades are for brainlets

>trades
Brainlet memes

>trades
>I thought secondary education was a scam, have no thirst for knowledge and thus survive on weed and repairing car engines with the occasional assistance of my parents

Electricians make more than most non-engineering STEM grads.

Plumbers, HVAC repair, and Locksmiths, if self-employed, can make 6 figures. One of my dad's neighbors is a locksmith who owns his own company and that fucker is loaded.

>They don't know almost every STEM job is actually blue collar (hands on labor)

Is electrical drafting a based trade?

all of them

I hate most students at my university

> assuming tradesmen need money from their parents

machining
smithing
lineman

>doesn't respect tradespeople, feels superior for knowing how to do triple integrals
>talks about weed

top cringe

Manwhoring

Trades fucking rock. I like the idea of people in a society having skills.

You described an apprentice that's probably going to quit in a few months to work an easier retail job if anything.

It physically pained me watching people flunk out of statics and at the same time shit talk the trades.

lol. skilled technicians make more on a per hour basis than the vast majority of engineers.

modesty can only be beaten into someone.

>people flunk out of statics and at the same time shit talk the trades.

Who the fuck does this? I've actually never met a single person who espoused this position.

Maybe so, but it doesn't help that American kids are mostly fed the "special snowflake, do what makes you happy, they're just jealous" garbage in school.
How about "try to give something back to the civilization which has brought you into existence and kept you alive thus far, and then maybe you'll have some extra time for your precious hobbies" ?

>try to give something back to civilization

yeah modesty is a good quality, i agree

HVAC
electrician
machinist
welder(some of these guys know more about metallurgy than materials profs)
lineman
biomet
any electronic repair field
small engine repair
mechanics who actually know what they're doing with racing mods
IT
boiler service
elevator repair
aviation tech
draftsmen
radiological tech
oilfield service/repair

These people are the linemen on the STEM football team.

Electricians. Experienced ones carry nothing but a small tool bag, sort out the problem, and then leave with wads of cash.

A job is a job. It's a fair alternative if you can't into research.

Unless you own your research,patents you're getting fucked by the system. Academia is not the holy grail of employment. What surprises me is academics make no money, surrender a large percentage of their patents, and won't be remembered. Buttfucked and bleed and you people still smile about it

engineering

maybe the same people who say that
> this semester is gonna be eassssyyyyyy
as a mechanical major

nice meme

>It physically pained me watching people flunk out of statics and at the same time shit talk the trades.

It's even funnier because people who come into engineering/physics with trades experience usually pwn statics.

Can Veeky Forums hit me with some statistics and facts about being an electrician/electrical engineer? What are the odds I'm going to get electrocuted and die on the job?

>What are the odds I'm going to get electrocuted and die on the job?

Pretty much fucking nil unless you work on high tension/high voltage. Then it's directly proportional to your brainlet coefficient.

What are the most intellectually demanding trades?

>get applied math degree
>go aero engineering
>job is comfy but eventually the company died
>didn't work there long enough to be "experienced" enough for an aero job at a big company
>work with my dad in plumbing
>make more money than i did at my first job
>job is also usually super easy with the occasional biohazard

my dad often jokes about being a plumbing PhD but the joke's on him because he paid for my tuition

>tfw wanted to do trade like plumbing but no trade schools and I don't know anyone that's a plumber
>now in sophomore year of CS
>have all As/Bs and hate it

;_;

>try to give something back to the civilization

Pfft fuck off, I didn't ask to exist.

If "society doesn't owe you anything", then I don't owe society shit.

My advice would be get a bachelors and then just do the plumbing/hvac/whatever certs at a local community college while saving up money (Comm college classes are practically free) and then apply at places.

You can pick up a trade at any time, there is almost no barrier to entry outside of a handful of certs in any technician job. They are all piss easy to pass if you have even a lick of sense.

how good is being a Computer Engineer?

its either that or IT but i would much prefer being a CE

Engineering

Nuclear engineering.

Anyone who can run A COMPANY can get fucking loaded.

The key skill there is business ability, not the trade itself.

A simple locksmith that works by himself won't make 6 figures. There's a huge leap between self-employemnt and hiring personnel to work for a fixed price and then running the business to increase sales and profiting from the difference.

My situation is a bit the opposite in some ways. I'm a chimney sweep journeyman but i was thinking about becoming a civil or ectronic engineer. Thing is though that in 1.5 years i can get my chimney sweep master certificate and earn more money. The work is all right and you get to meet a sorts of people, but you are basically fully trained after two or three years and then you just do the same thing all the time so it doesn't really require high brain capacity. also it isn't really a job that is good for your health either. If i become an engineer i get to do stuff i'm really interested in but with five years of student loan debt, which i won't have if i continue. can't really decide what to do. if i keep working for five years my sallary will be about the same as an ingineer,

Should college admissions require prior experience in a certain trade before entering the class?

>i didn't ask to exist

then i guess you wouldn't mind killing yourself?

Machining

t. someone in trade school for machining

Carpentry?

My uncle is a carpenter. Started working at 18 after high school, was able to buy a house when he was 19. Not a bad gig: he works outside (lives in California, so nice weather), has always had a job, has stayed fit and healthy, makes decent money (around $70k - $80k/year).

>i get to do stuff i'm really interested in
You can do all those things right now.
Dumpster dive a bunch of old electronics, take stuff apart, try to make a zero point generator or make a bunch of plasma speakers or whatever cool stuff you want to do.

Never turn your hobby into a job, you will just start hating your hobby.

Worst advice I've ever seen on Veeky Forums.

Godspeed little dude.

T. Certified journeyman machinist who works in aerospace

Welder here.
I like my jerb.

Veeky Forums is full of idiot highschoolers thinking they are hot shit because they are top of their class in a public school thinking they are part of some elite intellectual class who are trying to figure out what great destiny the universe has in store for them through the narrow path of socially approved ambitions.

Not making what you love your work is some of the oldest advice on the planet, and i would say not making science your job is even something you should do in the interest of humanity. Academia has done nothing but go downhill in integrity since it became a publication competition. Hobby science gave us the enlightenment.

Would medicine count?

The degree is probably 50% vocational training.

Any as a grad student going to a doctoral program I respect plumbers and welders infinitely more than the fucks I see getting Ed.Ds, Ph.Ds in communication, sociology makes me fucking sick

dunno. don't really have time to do anything hobbywise after work since i'm away from 5 45 to 17. to tired to do anything when i get home. that's what i'm getting sick at.

This is why we need UBI

>to tired to do anything when i get home. that's what i'm getting sick at.

This is what I'm scared of. Right now in CS, I really want to do something that isn't just office drone 9-5, but I don't really know what jobs that would be.

I could be a nurse or something, where I live there are plenty of nursing jobs where you have great freedom over the hours (I'd rather work 3 12 hour shifts than work 5 days a week).

I'm just nervous and have low confidence. I don't know what I want to do.

Guess that you could do consulting with cs. I have a friend who is self taught and he did only consulting and projects for a couple of years until he got hired full time by a bank. He had worked a lot when he needed so that he could have days of when the project was finnished or he made fast progress etc.